Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Does this even exist? Toddler size trundle bed
1  2  Next

yogabird

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 12:19 am
I'm looking for a pull out bed, trundle bed, bed frame, etc that will fit under a crib or toddler bed. Haven't found anything on google, amazon or pinterest. Does anyone know if such a product exists?

ETA: I know that Hatzlocha furniture in Williamsburg carries such a product, but they want almost 300 dollars for it Confused . They claim it's a custom piece. Is this really not a thing in the world at large?

Last edited by yogabird on Tue, Mar 14 2017, 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Zehava

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 12:20 am
I've definitely seen it. So it exists. I don't have more info though. Good luck!

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 12:25 am
I'll set a reminder for tomorrow to ask my sister. Its past midnight in ny....

My sister owns one. Its very plain. Dark brown wood stain. But I'm sure it can be painted or sanded/restained to match your furniture.

yogabird

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 12:26 am
Tzutzie wrote:
I'll set a reminder for tomorrow to ask my sister. Its past midnight in ny....

My sister owns one. Its very plain. Dark brown wood stain. But I'm sure it can be painted or sanded/restained to match your furniture.

As long as it's not 300 dollars (see my edit in my OP) I don't really care what it looks like... Thanks.

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 12:28 am
I highly doubt she paid that much.

I'll let you know tomorrow.

yogabird

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 10:59 am
Bump

WastingTime

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 3:14 pm
I actually was in someone's house once whose husband built one- it was a toddler bed with two toddler sized pull outs.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 5:57 pm
Bought in hatzlacha. It was the only place I heard sells it. Was $215 including mattress. (I bought their more expensive mattress btw)
If u buy it ask them to put stoppers or something on the wheels.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jun 11 2018, 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
White

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 6:05 pm
2GN wrote:
Bought in hatzlacha. It was the only place I heard sells it. Was $215 including mattress. (I bought their more expensive mattress btw)

I bought there too, and it was NOT $300.

abaker

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 6:05 pm
Could any one post a picture please? This sounds like a good space saving item.

yogabird

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 11:00 pm
2GN wrote:

You're right, now I'm remembering that's the price they quoted, including the mattress. They claim it's smaller than a standard size crib mattress?

Anyways, that's still a lot more than I want to spend.

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 12:09 am
My sister says she paid a lot. Sje baught it my hatzlucha. She got it close to 3 years ago in But not for $300. She had them use wheels w stoppers and they did the same color and siding to match her crib.
Also that the mattress is slightly smaller than 54" (but that you can find online).

Yogabird, you sound like a diy-er like me. (Paint thread....)
If I'd have the tools and space, I would make you one. Wink
It doesn't sound to difficult to make yourself with the right tools.

Figure out the dimensions. Get the supplies (wood board, furing strips, sidding, wheels, stain on paint color, sand paper, primer, drill) and the wood and cut to size from your local home depot.

It should be fun making it. And a LOT cheaper.

I'm currently working on my own diy master bedroom headboards. All I need to find is the perfect upholstery fabric, to finish it. Wink

Im doing more of a temporary thing now. Iyh when we have our own space, I'll be queen of the garage LOL.

kb

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 12:46 am
https://www.wayfair.com/Sorell......html

http://www.ababy.com/itempage......NEIaA

These come with a storage drawer... but I wonder if you could fit a mattress in. :/

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 3:23 pm
I made it on my own.

Took the metal frame from a crib who's slats broke. Bought wheels in a hardware store. The frame is rounded the wheels had four corners to drill, so two were drilled the other two I threaded a cable tie and secured tightly. (The one that was not tight, the screws gave way and came out.)

Same size mattress as the crib on top. No issue with it not fitting. I bought 2 matching sheets and it looks neat.

Wheels:
make sure to get them with locks.
Measure the space. Where you want to slide your trundle in. Measure the height of your frame + mattress on top. Then figure out how high of a wheel you can get. I got the biggest possible, giving just a 1/8 inch of space. I figured the sturdier the better.

Bet you can get a frame for free. It erev pesach, people get rid of this stuff now.

It's been about three years and I'm happy with it. We use it as a spare.

yogabird

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 2:26 pm
PP, I'd love to get such a frame for free, or even second hand. Where should I look?

yogabird

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 2:37 pm
Tzutzie wrote:
My sister says she paid a lot. Sje baught it my hatzlucha. She got it close to 3 years ago in But not for $300. She had them use wheels w stoppers and they did the same color and siding to match her crib.
Also that the mattress is slightly smaller than 54" (but that you can find online).

Yogabird, you sound like a diy-er like me. (Paint thread....)
If I'd have the tools and space, I would make you one. Wink
It doesn't sound to difficult to make yourself with the right tools.

Figure out the dimensions. Get the supplies (wood board, furing strips, sidding, wheels, stain on paint color, sand paper, primer, drill) and the wood and cut to size from your local home depot.

It should be fun making it. And a LOT cheaper.

I'm currently working on my own diy master bedroom headboards. All I need to find is the perfect upholstery fabric, to finish it. Wink

Im doing more of a temporary thing now. Iyh when we have our own space, I'll be queen of the garage LOL.

(Not sure which paint thread -- are you confusing me with another poster?) but I kind of am the DIY type, I've just never done any real carpentry before... And it's no so much a matter of space and more a matter of time, and obtaining all the materials...

But maybe if you and the other poster who said she made her own could be so kind and to provide me with more specific directions (exactly what kind of wood to buy, dimensions, what kind of screws to use...) I might be able to pull this off.

The bed I want to fit it under is an ikea todder bed, a bit longer than a standard crib/toddler size. There are 9 inches between the end of the frame and floor.

This slatted base is the exact size of the bed/mattress and should fit perfectly under the bed.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/cata.....091/. The slats are attached with a very strong rope/ribbon so it's strong, but foldable. I would need some wood to attach either under, or to the sides to make it straight/stiff/unmovable. The sides would be better cuz then I'd have a bit of a frame to keep the mattress in place, and maybe even attach a guardrail... But then would I have to drill a screw from those beams into each of the slats separately? Then wheels, or as I've seen on one of the tutorials I saw, just simple furniture slides.

Can someone help me design this?

(Tzutzie, after I'm done with this, I want to hear more about your headboards -- I actually was looking at tutorials for those too, but this is more pressing right now. Just an idea I saw -- one woman used cheap drapes from target or some such store for the fabric -- much cheaper than going to a fabric store)

yogabird

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 2:51 pm
(Can I do this with glue instead of a drill?)

Tzutzie

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 3:36 pm
Yogabird. Sorry my mistake. I thought you had posted something once. Now I remember it was someone else.

Either way, that frame from ikea is great.

My suggestion is, to get a few furring strips (2×4 would be too thick I think) cut to size and make a frame. Just 4 pcs - rectangular base. Then do another 4 to give it a frame to keep matress in place.

I would fo screws to attach the slants. Or maybe only on every 3rd slant or so and use wood glue for the rest. And screw the first and last one too.

This is just a suggestion I haven't ever done this myself.

As of now, I have about 5 by 5 ft of empty floor workspace to work with. And that is in my dining / living area... so no drills or nails. Only utility knives and spray adhesive.

Headboards were so simple. I needed no drill no wood / building option.

I came across an idea on youtube.

Dh got me aome extra large boxes from his workplace. I doubled it with spray adhesive added some bedding toppers (got a queen size and cut it in two so that makes for 2 full size bed headboards) instead of expensive faom.
All you have to do is spray adhesive to stick them together. Cut the foam and cardboard to the shape you want. Cover it (upholster) with batting and some fabric you like. Staple them to the back.
It is so lightweight that you can stick it to the wall with 3M valcro!!

Problem is, I haven't found the perfect fabric. And I keep changing my mind as for the color for my bedroom...... if I want solid or a geometric design. I've been to fabric stores. I spent time at JoAnns.... the unfinished foam and cardboard are sitting in my laundry room amd driving me nuts.

Iyh when we have or own house (no more aprmnts for me!) I'll have more space to do my things.

sky

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 3:53 pm
Pinterest - search toddler bed under crib or DIY toddler trundle. Some interesting ideas came up. LIke this: http://www.ikeahackers.net/201......html
They just put felt on teh bottom so it could slide on a wood floor.

ON Amazon they have wood toddler beds cheap - they fit a grib mattress - I wonder if you can cut down the legs and attach wheels.
250 isn't a horrible price if you figure a frame is $50, mattress $50+, wheels will prob be 15 - 20. They are charging to save you the work.

yogabird

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 4:18 pm
I saw the crib idea on Pinterest, but she already had the 2 cribs to begin with...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics