Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Trump Wants to get rid of Medicaid
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 8:07 pm
[quote="amother"]Excuse me? I'm far from rich. DH and I both work full time and we struggle to pay our bills each month. It's largely due to the high taxes we pay to fund state and federal programs. I look at my paycheck and am shocked by how much money is taken off. If it wouldn't, we would be able to manage our bills easily.

Eta: I work in heakthcare and see with my own eyes the incredible abuse of the medicaid/fidelis system. I didn't say it shouldn't be available for those who truly need it.[/quote]

I'm sorry about the fraudsters but think before you say anything because I have 2 kids with high special needs and I would not be able to afford it. And I live in nj and I pay a lot of taxes! Check out the taxes New Jersey pays. It's way more then New Yorkers.

Whatever, it sounds like you eeither die or move out of the United States! Because I have 2 children with medical care that if I can't afford medical care will end off very bad. I doubt you would want to know it.

There are a lot of people like me. Look around you there are so many families with child/ rent with severe medical issues. Are you ok to say oh well there are so many fraudsters let's close Medicaid and then the unfortunate ones suffer too. It's a reality that people fraud the government.

That doesn't solve the problem for those who have sever medical issues and can't afford it. If anything it creates another problem.

If there fraud then deal with the fraud. Come up,with a different plan. Just to,close it down is ridiculous!

Well I knew who trump was and I knew he would do damage but there is nothing I can do now.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 8:13 pm
[quote="amother"]Excuse me.
I'm middle class income and can't afford any healthcare under Obamacare.
Can't wait for trump to make changes.[/quote]

What makes you think you'll afford it then? Ha, it will be way more expensive. I think some people here don't get what he's up to. It's a shame by the time you'll get it it will be too late. Good luck

youngishbear

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 8:14 pm
I don't know the numbers for suspected fraud, but I also don't know the numbers for government contracts and the profiteering that goes on.

In any event, cutting safety net programs because of fraud is like saying the fire department should stop responding to calls because of false alarms.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 8:16 pm
[quote="MagentaYenta"]Oh I got it a long time ago, long before the current presidents nomination.

I OTH will be getting a tax credit between$1000 and $1500 a year to replace my medicare. That tax credit will enable me to buy an ins. policy (currently nonexistent) that I will use to replace my medicare. In the meantime the $129 coming out of my SS to pay for medicare will continue to be collected and cover federal costs of Trumpcare. Please tell me where a 66 yo can find a medical insurance policy that covers Medicare A&B for under $2k a year.

But the new scheme will also protect folks with existing conditions, as long as you have had ins. in place for the prior three years.

Ins companies will be permitted to sell ins. across state lines regardless of state ins. boards. It will be perfect for everyone. We can now budget for out of state travel to see primary care givers.[/quote]

If you think you will get any coverage for $2,000 hen your really not understanding what it's all about unless your sarcastic. And you say you won't.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 8:23 pm
amother wrote:
What makes you think you'll afford it then? Ha, it will be way more expensive. I think some people here don't get what he's up to. It's a shame by the time you'll get it it will be too late. Good luck

At least I'll have good drs for that money. Like I used to before Obamacare.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 8:28 pm
[quote="amother"]At least I'll have good drs for that money. Like I used to before Obamacare.[/quote]

You say you can't afford Obamacare but then when trump comes along it will be way more expensive so how will you afford it then?

I guess you won't have insurance.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 8:36 pm
amother wrote:
Your finally getting it😀

Now the rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer. Thank you Lakewood rabbonim for supporting trump🙁

Why are u blaming lakewood rabonim? NJ voted for Hillary so it made no difference

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 9:03 pm
Well then you don't know who voted for who in Lakewood. Fact is that overall majority of yeshivish Lakewood voted for trump. Again your not informed by facts.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 9:04 pm
All that doesn't matter anymore. I'm holding my breath to see what will come of all this.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 9:07 pm
amother wrote:
If you think you will get any coverage for $2,000 hen your really not understanding what it's all about unless your sarcastic. And you say you won't.

Well it could be considered sarcastic, fact is that's what the govt. will expect me to do under Trumpcare. I know it's impossible and you know it's impossible, the congress critters disagree.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 9:12 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Hug

That is truly horrible. Was it better before? The rates were not exactly great, ever, and had been getting steadily worse for most people for a long time. Our system is a mess.

I'm not the person you responded to, but just wanted to say that It was definitely better before Obamacare for us. We are middle class and both work full time. We previously paid for private health insurance which covered almost all our medical bills. After Obamacare, we paid about the same for private insurance which covers NOTHING. We tried 2 different insurance policies, one worse than the next. We recently dropped our insurance and have no health insurance. It makes more sense for us to pay our medical bills out of pocket, than to pay $1600 for health insurance monthly that covers close to nothing and that hardly any doctors we use accept.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 9:23 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Hug

That is truly horrible. Was it better before? The rates were not exactly great, ever, and had been getting steadily worse for most people for a long time. Our system is a mess.

It's was better before because there was Family Health Plus where you paid on a sliding scale.
Now on Obamacare I was on the essential plan, paying $20 a month. My income went up about $600 a month, I got kicked off the $20 plan and had to pay over $450. There is no in between. Mind you, $600 was before taxes and the $450 was after the tax credit so basically my entire raise went to increased health insurance cost.
Eta employer plans were also more affordable thay they are now so lots of people got insurance through work but now can't afford it.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 9:31 pm
We are paying $15,000 /year for Obamacare. It's crazy.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 9:31 pm
amother wrote:
It's was better before because there was Family Health Plus where you paid on a sliding scale.
Now on Obamacare I was on the essential plan, paying $20 a month. My income went up about $600 a month, I got kicked off the $20 plan and had to pay over $450. There is no in between. Mind you, $600 was before taxes and the $450 was after the tax credit so basically my entire raise went to increased health insurance cost.
Eta employer plans were also more affordable thay they are now so lots of people got insurance through work but now can't afford it.

That's a good point. Many companies are no longer hiring full time employees because of the new health insurance costs. They can't afford to have to offer health insurance to their employees anymore, since Obamacare. Therefore, can't offer them full time work where they'd be entitled to benefits.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 9:43 pm
amother wrote:
That's a good point. Many companies are no longer hiring full time employees because of the new health insurance costs. They can't afford to have to offer health insurance to their employees anymore, since Obamacare. Therefore, can't offer them full time work where they'd be entitled to benefits.

The trend to reduce hours to save full time benefits started long before Barak Obama became president. NSBA and NFIB started the campaign many years ago a means of lowering a businesses contribution to payroll taxes. Service industries led the way and then other larger private sector businesses jumped on the bandwagon. By about 2000 public employment was moving in the same direction.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 9:52 pm
amother wrote:

I haven't noticed it change in thathe way.
I was referring to the fact that premiums have gone so high that most often employees have to pay the full premium. Most employers are no longer offering full coverage. Very few are even offering partial coverage . And when they do the employee contribution is so exorbitant that it almost always doesn't make sense for the employee.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 9:57 pm
I am happy with changes being put into place. Right now I have a choice between getting Medicaid or spending a $1000 a month. Because my income is too low, I don't qualify for Obamacare plan at a reasonable price.
As my DH is a student and we are living in student housing without rent, we could afford a few hundred for insurance easily but we are stuck with no options.
Being that I have various conditions, Medicaid does not meet my medical needs adequately and does not get me reasonably good care.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 9:58 pm
amother wrote:
I haven't noticed it change in thathe way.
I was referring to the fact that premiums have gone so high that most often employees have to pay the full premium. Most employers are no longer offering full coverage. Very few are even offering partial coverage . And when they do the employee contribution is so exorbitant that it almost always doesn't make sense for the employee.

This is an area of the ins. business that is usually codified by a states insurance board. Hawaii was one of the first states to cap an employees insurance contribution back in 1974, with other states jumping on the bandwagon in the late 80s.

nylon

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 10:14 pm
As it stands this plan won't put down many premiums. The CBO is estimating on shaky ground (this is not distrust, this is that in my opinion, there are a lot of unknowns to calculate).

The current estimate is that in the short term the premiums will rise and then they will fall. IF the plan goes through it will be unaffordable for the elderly but will become somewhat more affordable for the upper middle class as they will get a bigger tax credit than they would have under Obama. But the premiums won't go down so fast. AND, since younger people won't be required to purchase anything, they will exit and in the short term push up premiums. Not down. So people who had high ACA premiums will see little relief. Families making in the high five figures, who file jointly, will see some benefit.

MANY people will become uninsured NOT through choice because it will roll back the Medicaid expansion over time.

ON TOP of that they are proposing a block grant system that will shove costs onto states and no longer pay actual running costs. It will then be cut. How? we don't know.

Right now they've set things up for a showdown between Congress and Republican statehouses. They don't want to cut Grandma's nursing home but they also can't ask for a tax raise to pay for it.

The regulatory changes meaning that insurance will have to pay for fewer things and can sell over state lines aren't part of this plan. They cannot be voted on through reconciliation. The CBO is not calculating with those assumptions in place because there is no proposed bill for it. Out of state insurance sales are iffy. On the one hand, more competition. On the other hand, the reason many areas don't have competition is that it's not worthwhile to set up a network and market there. You need to be able to service an area. It's not like you can just decide to call up Horizon BCBS instead of Empire the day the law is changed.

I am not at all confident the plan will be passed as is. Hospitals hate it. Republican governors hate it. A lot of people who are not liberals hate it. And it may make the individual market go into death spiral because healthy people can and will exit the market--the thing they said was the problem with the ACA.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 10:21 pm
nylon wrote:
As it stands this plan won't put down many premiums. The CBO is estimating on shaky ground (this is not distrust, this is that in my opinion, there are a lot of unknowns to calculate).

The current estimate is that in the short term the premiums will rise and then they will fall. IF the plan goes through it will be unaffordable for the elderly but will become somewhat more affordable for the upper middle class as they will get a bigger tax credit than they would have under Obama. But the premiums won't go down so fast. AND, since younger people won't be required to purchase anything, they will exit and in the short term push up premiums. Not down. So people who had high ACA premiums will see little relief. Families making in the high five figures, who file jointly, will see some benefit.

MANY people will become uninsured NOT through choice because it will roll back the Medicaid expansion over time.

ON TOP of that they are proposing a block grant system that will shove costs onto states and no longer pay actual running costs. It will then be cut. How? we don't know.

Right now they've set things up for a showdown between Congress and Republican statehouses. They don't want to cut Grandma's nursing home but they also can't ask for a tax raise to pay for it.

The regulatory changes meaning that insurance will have to pay for fewer things and can sell over state lines aren't part of this plan. They cannot be voted on through reconciliation. The CBO is not calculating with those assumptions in place because there is no proposed bill for it. Out of state insurance sales are iffy. On the one hand, more competition. On the other hand, the reason many areas don't have competition is that it's not worthwhile to set up a network and market there. You need to be able to service an area. It's not like you can just decide to call up Horizon BCBS instead of Empire the day the law is changed.

I am not at all confident the plan will be passed as is. Hospitals hate it. Republican governors hate it. A lot of people who are not liberals hate it. And it may make the individual market go into death spiral because healthy people can and will exit the market--the thing they said was the problem with the ACA.

Excellent summary. From what I have read Trumpcare will remove the overhead restriction that was established by the PPACA. Insurance companies will now be able to add in excess of 20% to administrative overhead costs to employee premiums.
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics