Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Which Beis Medresh allows college?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

gold21

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:33 pm
You don't have to be a weak student or "modern" to realize the benefits of a college education. Its an obvious choice for many.

Especially with Touro College as a kosher option, it's really a no-brainer.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:42 pm
If you want in Lakewood (I think it's more working and learning boys) - R' Greenberger -
732 - 668-4936

If you want in Yardley, PA (more college/tech school and learning boys) - Poalei Yisrael -
443 - 635 - 8406

Hope this helps, these types of places are so important. Boys in school or working really need a program geared to be mechazek what their experiencing, to keep learning and minyan attendance strong. Serious good boys in school should get just as much attention and respect as boys who are just learning. Things are changing...

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:48 pm
Yeshiva of Greater washington in silver spring.

gold21

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:52 pm
amother wrote:
If you want in Lakewood (I think it's more working and learning boys) - R' Greenberger -
732 - 668-4936

If you want in Yardley, PA (more college/tech school and learning boys) - Poalei Yisrael -
443 - 635 - 8406

Hope this helps, these types of places are so important. Boys in school or working really need a program geared to be mechazek what their experiencing, to keep learning and minyan attendance strong. Serious good boys in school should get just as much attention and respect as boys who are just learning. Things are changing...

You're right. It's interesting observing how things slowly evolve in the frum world.

College degree= potential for good income= ability to support a family.

So I'm not sure why college is a recent trend and why it wasn't more mainstream 10-15 years ago. But I guess I should be grateful that it's becoming more mainstream now at least! Lol.

Last edited by gold21 on Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:52 pm
amother wrote:
Yeshiva of Greater washington in silver spring.

Thought it's a highschool?

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 5:11 am
Shor Yoshuv

amother
Red

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 5:16 am
There are definitely options for academically strong boys.. DH learnt in yeshiva in flatbush. they don't publicize it - for the reason that they don't want boys learning there just cuz it's a yeshiva that allows college. most of DH friends were in college. Some were in Touro at least 1 went to Brooklyn college.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 5:20 am
amother wrote:
Thought it's a highschool?

There's a yeshiva gedolah as well. http://www.yeshiva.edu/YESHIVA......aspx

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 5:26 am
gold21 wrote:
You're right. It's interesting observing how things slowly evolve in the frum world.

College degree= potential for good income= ability to support a family.

So I'm not sure why college is a recent trend and why it wasn't more mainstream 10-15 years ago. But I guess I should be grateful that it's becoming more mainstream now at least! Lol.

Maybe because the rank and file thought

College degree = not so yeshivish = big failure and disapointment =,less covod for parents = shiduch demerits for rest of family

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 6:51 pm
Does Shor Yashuv allow Queens or Brooklyn College?

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 8:49 pm
amother wrote:
Rabbi Levitan's yeshiva in monsey. I'm pretty sure you can go to any college you want.

Do you have more information on this particular yeshiva?

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 9:00 pm
amother wrote:
In that case, the only place that sees college as lechatchila is YU. (Ducking to avoid rotten tomatoes )

Incorrect. There are lots of non YU people who see college as very important. My brother went to Chaim Berlin for beis midrash and started college at 19. My husband went to rabbi fishers yeshiva and started college at 19 as well. It was definitely very lechatchila.

I know it's hard to believe, but the world is made up of all sorts of people. There are more then the two choices so many on this site think are the only two that exist. (The two choices being yeshivish/chassidish or MO)

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 9:04 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Incorrect. There are lots of non YU people who see college as very important. My brother went to Chaim Berlin for beis midrash and started college at 19. My husband went to rabbi fishers yeshiva and started college at 19 as well. It was definitely very lechatchila.

I know it's hard to believe, but the world is made up of all sorts of people. There are more then the two choices so many on this site think are the only two that exist. (The two choices being yeshivish/chassidish or MO)

I was talking about the institution, not individuals. YU sees college as lechatchila, Chaim Berlin doesn't. I have relatives who went to both.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 9:04 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe because the rank and file thought

College degree = not so yeshivish = big failure and disapointment =,less covod for parents = shiduch demerits for rest of family

Except that lots of people don't see yeshivish as the big success. Or care about kavod.

devorah1231

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 9:52 pm
Saw a yeshiva that's opening in Brooklyn advertised, Yeshiva Gedolah Ohr Nachman. If you are interested I can try to find the ad.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 10:44 pm
amother wrote:
There's 2 new ones specifically for boys who are working or going to college or trade school. The boys live in the dorm, go to all yeshiva minyanim, learn at least one seder a day. One is in Yardley Pennsylvania, right outside of Lakewood, called Poalei Yisrael. The other is in Lakewood, don't know name.

Yardley is a lovely place
But its not right outside Lakewood. Its an hour and a half away

Ilovemaryland

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 10:47 pm
amother wrote:
In that case, the only place that sees college as lechatchila is YU. (Ducking to avoid rotten tomatoes )

Thumbs Up

And I say this with my sn

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 11:27 pm
Ilovemaryland wrote:
Thumbs Up

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din

gold21

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 6:00 am
Ilovemaryland wrote:
Thumbs Up

FYI, that's not true. But hey, whatever. I dont know what kind of exposure you have to college-friendly right-of-YU yeshivas, but they definitely exist.

miami85

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 6:47 am
amother wrote:
Chofetz Chaim allows it very bidieved, but definitely doesn't encourage. Maayan HaTorah in Richmond Hill is a branch of Chofetz Chaim that is geared for boys who aren't neccesarily cut out for all day learning, and they do allow it straight up.

While it may be "bedieved" and they don't make it "easier" on guys to get the degree, they don't "frown" upon it. They just want those who CAN learn for as long as possible with as few distractions as possible, but I know quite a few who have degrees--actuary, social work, accountant, even law school. They are of the hashkafa that there's more than one way to be a "marbitz torah" and more than one way to be an "eved Hashem". They actually hold that its actually preferable to work in an office-type job where you aren't involved in business dealings as its easier to be "ehrlich". There are many musmachim from Chofetz Chaim that have gone on to "college based" professions--doctors, dentists, actuaries, office workers, etc.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics