Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Paying for college
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:03 pm
How do you do it???
What’s the cost?
My parents couldn’t for me so I’m stuck in a part time office job. I’d like my boys and girls to have opportunities and I’d like to pay for their college or course etc.

But I just looked online and YU for example is over $50,000 a year! That’s a fortune. Is college only for rich people?

amother
Ballota

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:03 pm
Most people do student loans. It’s not common for parents to fund college.

There are cheaper frum programs like TTI.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:06 pm
amother Ballota wrote:
Most people do student loans. It’s not common for parents to fund college.

There are cheaper frum programs like TTI.

Student loans are so expensive. I really don’t want my kids to have to deal with that as they’re starting out…

sequoia

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:08 pm
Grants, loans, work-study.

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:08 pm
Most colleges (including YU) give breaks. Call the financial offices.

supermamma

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:41 pm
Student loans, scholarship, parents for it, student takes classes part time and works part time or classes at night & works by day to be able to pay for it on own
Although it's a lot to start off with loan debt, jobs that require a degree pay well and they can pay it off in a decent amount of time

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:42 pm
If mine want to go, they can go to community college/state school and figure out how to pay themself.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:43 pm
Student loans

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:59 pm
Do well on SATs and get scholarships. I got over 700s and Touro gave me a generous one.

Take classes or get AA at a community College and transfer those cheaper credits in. But be careful as not all schools accept all credits. I did this too for a few classes, shaved off a semester or more...

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:00 pm
Middle class people typically send to some form of state or city schools where tuition is fairly reasonable.

There are the various city universities. There are the SUNY schools and each state generally has a moderately priced state school.

In California many kids do two years at a community college and then finish up at one of the UC schools for the more critical work.

If you go to one of these schools, there are grants scholarships, work study, work during summer and so you dint have to graduate with a huge student loan.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:08 pm
YU is a private school and is much more costly than a state school. Brooklyn college for example is affordable. If your child starts at community college - both of mine did -it's also affordable.

amother
Magnolia

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:14 pm
My dd is doing TTI its a fraction of the cost. My friends to cuny colleges also cheaper.

amother
Catmint

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:18 pm
amother DarkPurple wrote:
Do well on SATs and get scholarships. I got over 700s and Touro gave me a generous one.

Take classes or get AA at a community College and transfer those cheaper credits in. But be careful as not all schools accept all credits. I did this too for a few classes, shaved off a semester or more...

Just curious 700 is considered a good mark for scholarship?
I got in the 1200 and I thought that was average. (Didnt end up going to college so didnt apply for scholarships)

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:31 pm
amother Catmint wrote:
I got in the 1200 and I thought that was average. (Didnt end up going to college so didnt apply for scholarships)
l

They changed scoring as it used to go up to 800 or 1600 for both the verbal and math.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:37 pm
Dd is in touro. I think we’re paying around 6700 semester. It ends up being about same as her high school tuition

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 9:15 pm
Undergrad- was mostly covered between FAFSA, academic scholarship, and dean scholarship (this was Touro) The rest I was mostly able to pay from my part-time job.
Grad school- 50K student loans (YU), very few people there were able to pay all that, especially because you don't have as much time to work...

amother
Moccasin

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 9:45 pm
Low middle income get tuition breaks. Upper middle income get only loans because they dont get tuition

U could start 529 savings for college.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 10:12 pm
amother Catmint wrote:

700s each section. One was above 700, one slightly below. Was about a 1400.

You get 200 points for signing your name so 400 is the lowest.

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 10:16 pm
This is why I did CUNY. My bachelor's was about 30k total. Masters was about 50k. I didn't get FAFSA or any scholarships.

srbmom

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 10:32 pm
DH went to community college. After the first year he got a full scholarship because of his grades
I went to a private school and got an almost full scholarship because of my SAT scores.

Masters degree is a different story - still paying off those student loans Sad
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics