Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Do you eat cumin on pesach?
Previous  1  2

sky

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 6:07 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Lubavitch have their own minhagim and I don't know them, but with kitniyot, it is minhag between ashkenaza and sefard for the most part. If cumin is kitniyot, then automatically if you don't eat kitniyot, you don't eat it. Like I said in my op, once everyone considered it kitniyot as far as I know, but now it seems like it's not with a reliable hechsher.

I though thre are some groups of chassidim won't eat any vegetable that looks like kitniyos - I think cucumbers, tomato, eggplant fall under that category. I have a non-lubavitch friend who eats like that. I find there is grey area in what different groups eat related to kitniyos.

Pesach eating in general has so much to do with minihagim. ON shabbos I was talking to a group of women and each one such a varied set of minhagim.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 11:41 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Cumin in seed form looks like caraway, not oats!

that's when it's peeled, it's original form is in a shell like one of the five grains (I think it's oats).

I should have prefaced by saying that we are of Ashkanz decent but eat certain foods on Pesach that many Ashkenszim consider kitniyot, such as corn and soy. The only foods we do not eat on Pesach are things that resemble grains in their original unprocessed form such as rice, sunflower seeds, sesame and cumin (which is pretty limiting food choice wise).
I do not live in the US, Never have. In Israel cumin is certainly considered kitniyot and in fact many people who do eat kitniyot avoid cumin for the above reason. I never studied the issue myself but I have heard that senior rabbis in the Kashrus system in Israel were given a grain (in shell form) of cumin and one of the five grains and could distinguish between them.
I have the utmost respect for the OU and would be interested to hear the reason for this discrepancy. I would love to use cumin on Pesach as well and am interested in looking in to the matter.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 11:43 pm
andrea levy wrote:
To me that looks nothing alike

As I said I may have confused which of the five grains looks like cumin.

chouli

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 12:08 pm
I don't think that the possibility of chametz being mixed with cumin seeds applies today because of all the allergies and companies being liable....
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics