Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is this a weird pesach question to ask

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 8:35 am
Anyone else have invisaline as braces- is it weird to ask a rav if somehow I have to make them kosher for pesach. I don't eat with them in, but use the same toothbrush that I have used on my teeth. Am I over thinking the whole thing?????

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 8:40 am
It is not at ALL weird to ask. Not only are no questions weird, right?, but it is an important question to ask. I know with conventional braces one is supposed to refrain from hot food and liquids for a 24 hour period before Pesach, and most people switch toothbrushes anyway.

I'm not sure if this is apocryphal, or just tongue in cheek: a well-known posek when asked about what to do about braces on Pesach said, preheat the oven as high as it goes and stick your head in for a half hour Very Happy

Last edited by PinkFridge on Tue, Apr 04 2017, 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 8:41 am
amother wrote:
Anyone else have invisaline as braces- is it weird to ask a rav if somehow I have to make them kosher for pesach. I don't eat with them in, but use the same toothbrush that I have used on my teeth. Am I over thinking the whole thing?????

My kids have them. We set up the schedule so that a new set goes in right before Pesach. The rubber bands are chumetz free, but rinse them anyway before you insert. Use your Pesach toothbrush on them. I am having the kids teeth cleaned also right before Pesach.

Anyway, always ask your rav over anonymous posters.

Moonlight

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 8:41 am
Sounds like a good question to me!

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 8:52 am
I had braces. In my times you did nothing to it.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 9:09 am
Thanks all- \Pinkfridge that is funny.
I ask because these are not glued to my teeth- they are a night guard and so I can take them out brush etc.

bsy

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 11:54 am
My grandfather always jokes that he's getting out the blowtorch....

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 11:59 am
amother wrote:
Thanks all- \Pinkfridge that is funny.
I ask because these are not glued to my teeth- they are a night guard and so I can take them out brush etc.

Ask your rav.
I was told to clean them the best that I can and dunk them in the hottest water it can handle - which is not too hot, more like warm, or else they get misshapen.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 12:51 pm
Thanks all- I brought them to my dentist who put it in his sanitizing machine thingy- can't do any better than that. Now I will just wait til pesach to use them- here's hoping my teeth stay straight.

esuss

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 1:07 pm
When I had a space retainer years ago as a teenager I soaked it in denture cleaner before Pesach.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 9:23 am
amother wrote:
Thanks all- I brought them to my dentist who put it in his sanitizing machine thingy- can't do any better than that. Now I will just wait til pesach to use them- here's hoping my teeth stay straight.

Sounds like you did whatever is possible, and you have a tremendous zechus for doing so. I know that your concern over your teeth is pretty small in the general scheme of things: it doesn't exactly compare to our grandparents' or great-grandparents' nisoyons with Shabbos, etc. iykwim but it's the opportunity you've been presented with and you did what you're supposed to.

SingALong

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 2:49 pm
I have Invisalign...plan to switch to new tray erev pesach or clean current with that pill that you drop into water and when it bubbles the trays go in.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics