Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Is there an abridged [Rabbi Henkin] tznius book?

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 12:56 pm
I grew up in an abusive home and have been left with a lot of confusion in many areas.

Some things/Halachos are simpler to learn (what's normal and what's not), but I'm still stuck in the tznius/modesty area. When you grow up with the "norms", you kind of get a feel for it. But I'm clueless.

As mentioned many times on this site, I got Rabbi Henkin's book. But it's very drawn out, different rulings, backstories, reasoning... Aside for the arms being concised, nothing else is. And I really haven't gotten clear answers there.

Is there a book, similar to Rabbi Henkin's rulings, but clearer? I don't need an entire book. Just a few lines outlining what's Halacha.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 6:27 pm
Bump

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 6:48 pm
Basic bare bones halacha is to cover the knees elbows and collarbone.

Preferably not so tight that your clothing is pasted to your body without air in between.

Maya

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 7:04 pm
amother wrote:
Basic bare bones halacha is to cover the knees elbows and collarbone.

Actually, it isn't.

OP, it's really difficult, if not impossible, to find a published comprehensive list. Even Rabbi Henkin's book is one of a kind, unless you want something like R' Falk's book but that's not the same thing.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 8:40 pm
I'm not familiar with Rabbi Henkin's book. Are you looking for the most basic lenient position or just a very thorough sturdy of the halacha.
R' Falk also has a book for men that goes deeply into the sources that he omits in his book for women - but it doesn't sound like that is what you want.
R' Forchheimer in Lakewood has a pamphlet that is a basic tznius guideline, but is probably also not what you want as it is pretty strict.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 9:02 pm
Thanks to those of you who replied.

I chose Rabbi Henkin because he's really basic. I read Rabbi Falk's book at first but it made me OCD, and I don't believe that it's the right way.

Understanding why, stories, commentaries - that's for another time. But while trying to learn Halacha, it confuses me. I just need the very basic, no more than a couple of lines.

behappy2

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 9:27 pm
Call a Rabbi you trust.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 11:30 pm
behappy2 wrote:
Call a Rabbi you trust.

I don't have any. I have one or two whom I respect and would ask guidance-related questions, but not this.

tichellady

Post Fri, Apr 07 2017, 12:35 am
There are different halakhic opinions so any thought out book on the topic will represent that and not have a simplistic check list of "how to be a modest person". I know that's not what you want to hear but that's the truth. What type of synagogue do you belong to? What are the norms in that community? What area of modesty do you feel unsure about?

MitzadSheini

Post Fri, Apr 07 2017, 12:36 am
I reckon you could call or email the yoatzot on this question. Remember they are under the guidance R. Henkin.

http://www.yoatzot.org/home/

tichellady

Post Fri, Apr 07 2017, 12:41 am
This article explains what I was trying to say but more eloquently:

https://www.thejc.com/judaism/.....67562

The whole point of Rav henkins book is to not to focus on measuring inches of women's bodies that should or shouldn't be covered, he thinks that is not the point of "tzniut"

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Apr 07 2017, 3:58 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:
I reckon you could call or email the yoatzot on this question. Remember they are under the guidance R. Henkin.

http://www.yoatzot.org/home/

Thank you

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Apr 07 2017, 3:59 pm
tichellady wrote:
There are different halakhic opinions so any thought out book on the topic will represent that and not have a simplistic check list of "how to be a modest person". I know that's not what you want to hear but that's the truth. What type of synagogue do you belong to? What are the norms in that community? What area of modesty do you feel unsure about?

I don't belong anywhere. There are all types in my community.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics