Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Black matte jersey for bar mitzvah dress -- too dour?

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 6:32 am
The only dress I can find that fits me well and had sleeves and a decent neckline and decent length is a black/grey matte jersey dress.

The occasion? My son's bar mitzvah. It's a casual affair, but I'm afraid it will look too boring.

Any suggestions for how to dress this up and make it work?

It looks a little like this but with a higher neckline, a little bit of shirring at the side and 3/4 sleeves:

cookiewriter

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 7:38 am
I don't know where you live but in Brooklyn it's very common for people to buy dresses that don't have sleeves or good necklines or even cover th knees . Let the tailoring begin! We put blouses or shells under the dresses and we add fabric or leather or wide grosgrain ribbon to the hem to make it longer. If you're still determined to wear this black dress you definitely need to dress it up. Gorgeous heels, a beautiful belt, and either an insane necklace OR junees makes these dickies that are basically just a white collar with rhinestones on it
Sooo chic to add that white collar . MaZal tov!

cm

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 8:16 am
Mazal tov!

I think the dress, as you describe it, is beautiful. It would be a good background for either "statement" jewelry or something finer and more delicate. As for boring - the Little Black Dress is classic, not boring.

Personally, I would rather wear a dress with a good neckline, length and sleeves than something that has been doctored-up. That being said, the choices can be extremely limited. Especially for a casual event, consider a jacket, nice cardigan or bolero to "help" a sleeveless dress if you see a more colorful option that you prefer.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 8:43 am
Hi ladies. Thank you both for your comments!

The bar mitzvah is on rosh chodesh, so I don't have lots of time flr tailoring... And I don't like shells! If I could find a nice bolero jacket, thaf would be okay...

I took care of everyone else's dresses and clothes, figuring it would be easy for me to find something for myself. Wrong!

If I go with this dress and a statement necklace, is it workable?? Shoes??

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 9:21 am
Buy some fantastic shoes in a bright, unexpected color. Wear great costume jewelry.
Mazal tov and have fun.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 9:58 am
IMNSHO, the dress is perfect. Women wear LBDs for a reason -- because they're chic and sophisticated and make the wearer look amazing.

If you'd like you can wear a statement necklace or earrings, but not both.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/pa.....=GREY

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/so.....MULTI

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/ka.....=BLUE

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/tr.....0GOLD

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/so.....COMBO

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/ka.....MULTI

You could also add a pair of colored (or nude) heels.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/sa.....ABRIC

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 10:12 am
Deleted

Last edited by amother on Wed, May 03 2017, 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 11:03 am
SixOfWands, I love your style!

crust: I don't really like lacy things, but a jacket of that cut is nice! I think I will go with this black dress, though. I wasn't able to find any nice boleros, and there isn't enough time to order from abroad. Mail here is slow... (I am in Israel).

I found a funky silvertone statement necklace that goes well with the dress. I think large earrings might be uncomfortable, so I will stick with the necklace. I think I am warming to the idea of this dress.

Now: Shoes. Color? Black seems depressing. Silver? Red? Gray? Something else? I am short so not sure if it's a good idea to call attention to my feet.

It will be hot, so I am opting for sandals.

Ideas? Confused

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 11:47 am
I forgot to mention that I love the dress as it is! You were thinking about a balero so I posted it. But personally think that Especially if you are short adding anything except for nice jewelry etc. will make you look overdressed.

A lot of nachas!

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jan 09 2020, 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Apr 16 2017, 5:09 am
Thank you, crust!

Iymnok

Post Sun, Apr 16 2017, 5:24 am
Go to a shoe store and find something you love that can be worn with other things. Heels always add, the color should compliment your necklace to tie it together, but not necessarily matching.
How do you cover your hair?

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Apr 16 2017, 9:12 am
I think it is plain for a mom of a bar mitzvah boy. Personally I plan on wearing a gown.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Apr 16 2017, 10:58 am
amother wrote:
I think it is plain for a mom of a bar mitzvah boy. Personally I plan on wearing a gown.

To a casual affair? OP would look ridiculous.

OP, no suggestions on sandals, but block heels are in, and likely to be more comfortable. I'd also do a color you could wear with a lot of things. Maybe blue.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Apr 16 2017, 11:04 am
amother wrote:

Yes, I am also worried about looking plain. But it's not a gown type of affair or venue, so that solution won't do at all in my situation.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Apr 16 2017, 11:25 am
amother wrote:

She said casual, sandals, comfort, and Israel. I know these type of communities in Israel, plenty of them don't even dress up for their siblings weddings. They don't care about New York fashion.

Raisin

Post Sun, Apr 16 2017, 11:49 am
Personally, I think gowns at a bar mitzva look ridiculous.

I think that dress is lovely, I would look for a really beautiful necklace to go with it.

What about silver or gold sandals? (depending on the jewellery color)

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Apr 16 2017, 11:50 am
Dress is beautiful!

Could you decorate collar and cuff areas?

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 2:18 am
Hi ladies! Just wanted to thank you for all your help. I got lots of compliments on my dress/outfit (and, more importantly, the bar mitzvah went well).

crust

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 7:26 am
By mazal tov! I'm happy for you. Lots of nachas
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics