Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
If you made Aliyah - What do you do?!

Oh!whatfun

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 10:07 am
I am the original OP who is looking in to making aliyah and GUYS I am so excited because I feel like its allll falling together. With the help of hashem I am making moving next year!

So!
If you made aliyah what is your parnessah?
Where do you live?
How do you do financially? Do you struggle?
Are you frugal/saver?
Would you say you live a more "western American lifestyle"
What are the pros and cons of your job?
What do you enjoy most about it?
What sound advice can you give to someone making aliyah in terms of parnessah

I am a certified social skills therapist. I work with kids who are very "normal" alll the way to "mentally disabled". I run a gourmet culinary program for girls here as an after school program/Sunday program. Any advice or information you can offer is OH! so appreciated
HUGS everyone and thank you for helping me on this journey.

Oh!whatfun

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 1:41 pm
bump

juggling

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 1:52 pm
Sounds to me like you'll do great, assuming language is not an issue. (Language could be not an issue, either if your Hebrew is good, or if you plan to live somewhere like rbs, where you could do business with English-speakers initially.) I feel like people do well here by being creative and scraping together a few different sources of income, rather than relying only on their day job.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 3:24 pm
Oh!whatfun wrote:
bump

no need to bump up your post after three hours, btw.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 5:38 am
amother wrote:

Rude much? OP is looking for help. Did you come here to be rude or to be helpful "BTW"?? Rolling Eyes

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 6:43 am
amother wrote:

No need to say anything if you don't have anything nice to say.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 9:46 am
I worked in special ed in schools
Got paid a bit more than minimum wage.
Its hard to get private clients since just about everyone is struggling financially.
Parnassa is hard in Israel

Iymnok

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 10:39 am
If you learn Hebrew well enough, you can do a baking/cooking chug. Do it for various ages. Once your Hebrew is good enough, you could do it through the schools.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 10:41 am
amother wrote:
I worked in special ed in schools
Got paid a bit more than minimum wage.
Its hard to get private clients since just about everyone is struggling financially.
Parnassa is hard in Israel
Please dont say this as it is not true. There are many many many many people out there in Israel who are not struggling but making it just fine. There are many people who do struggle, but I would not say it is "just about everyone".

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 8:48 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Please dont say this as it is not true. There are many many many many people out there in Israel who are not struggling but making it just fine. There are many people who do struggle, but I would not say it is "just about everyone".

I'm actually struggling financially living in NYC!

To be honest, I'm really tempted to make an aliyah. I speak hebrew so it won't be a problem. However, my career isn't great (I'm a nutritionist with a BA but not licensed). Nutritionists in Israel make very little. My sister has been living in Israel quite a while. She studied in college in NY with a degree in political science and public relations...of course it was useless. She's now working in a gorgeous office with many Americans (she said she speaks a lot of english at work) and does something completely different. So it's possible to find jobs in Israel that aren't related to your career field. However, I hear you really need connections.

There are so many reasons why I'd love to move to Israel...first one is because of the high yeshiva tuitions...it's just too crazy! We won't be able to ever move from our one bedroom apartment (with three kids) because of our expenses over here. I feel like even though people make more money in the US, the quality of life could be better living in Israel, especially for raising kids. It's just a matter of adjusting to a different culture and a different life style. But in the end, I think it's worth it. Good luck!!!

amother
Teal

Post Sat, May 06 2017, 2:40 pm
We made aliyah in 1995. I work as a medical transcriptionist. We definitely struggle financially. We do not live a western lifestyle at all, as we live in a very Israeli yishuv and our kids are all Israeli born and don't speak English. We absolutely love it here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions