Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sleep training

bracha tova b

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 8:45 am
how old was ur baby when u started weening off the night feeds? And how??

pesek zman

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 10:05 am
Baby started sleeping 8 hour stretches at 6 weeks. 12 hours by 8 weeks

mommish613

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 10:40 am
pesek zman wrote:

Wow what's your secret???

Bracha tova- I just recently completed the Ferber method with my 9 month old but he wasn't waking for feedings (stopped that at about 5 1/2 months). He wouldn't fall asleep unless I layed down with him- rocked him or patted him and then woke up frequently until I repeated those same things to lull him back to sleep. I think they call it sleep associations. Bh we are a week into it and he's doing great! I highly recommend it Very Happy

pesek zman

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 10:46 am
We had to do Ferber at many points later on, (following travel or after an illness or teething)

We started good habits early on. Nighttime or bedtime feeds were always in dark, quiet room with minimal stimulation. But baby stretched her sleep naturally by herself so I can't take real credit for it

Iymnok

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 10:48 am
A year or so. Then I send dh to calm the baby. They very soon don't bother anymore since he can't deliver the goods.

rgr

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 11:36 am
I've been sleep training my son since he was born using the baby whisperer book/ method. By Tracy Hogg. The baby Whisperer is all about keeping the baby on a routine and teaching them good sleep habits. They do not advocate CIO, or controlled crying (Ferber) There are many threads on here with more information and also a forum babywhispererforums.com

Still , I did not get my son to sleep any where near how pesek zmans got her baby to. A lot has to do with the babies temperament and if they are formula or breastfed. Sleep training is like running after a moving target; the babies needs constantly change and the schedule needs constant tweaking, accordingly. Teething, yomim tovim, sickness do set us back. That said, I am very happy continuing with the baby whisperer.

bracha tova b

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 12:47 pm
My baby is 7 weeks old. I started trying to do a routine and put him into bed at 730. Bath, singing, and feeding. He's out by 830 and wakes up 12 for food, 4am and 6 am. People are telling me to try to skip one feeding but that's truly impossible. He's starving. Even if I give him one bottle of formula he'll still wake up so I don't believe the myth that formula fills them up more. Want some ideas on what I can do to do maybe get him to sleep a little longer.

pesek zman

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 1:10 pm
People swear by the method of 12x 12 (12 hours by 12 weeks) which teaches how to space the feeds. But the book is mainly for bottle fed babies (formula or pumped milk) so may not work for you

pesek zman

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 1:32 pm
pesek zman wrote:
People swear by the method of 12x 12 (12 hours by 12 weeks) which teaches how to space the feeds. But the book is mainly for bottle fed babies (formula or pumped milk) so may not work for you

Why on earth did I get hugged for a book reccomendation? 🤔

nw11

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 1:58 pm
By 3 months he was sleeping from 7 to 7 with me waking him at 10 for a feed. I more or less followed Gina Ford's method although not to a T, as it is very strict. By about 5 moths I had dropped the night time feed by giving him cereal in the evening. It takes a bout a week to sleep train my kids, and it's hard work. But the payoff is fantastic.

rgr

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 2:16 pm
bracha tova b wrote:
My baby is 7 weeks old. I started trying to do a routine and put him into bed at 730. Bath, singing, and feeding. He's out by 830 and wakes up 12 for food, 4am and 6 am. People are telling me to try to skip one feeding but that's truly impossible. He's starving. Even if I give him one bottle of formula he'll still wake up so I don't believe the myth that formula fills them up more. Want some ideas on what I can do to do maybe get him to sleep a little longer.

Hugs! 7 weeks is still very young! It does get easier! I really recommend reading, The baby whisperer solves all your problems by teaching you to ask the right questions" there are many techniques to help your baby sleep better.

As far as him waking up, she says that if the baby is waking up consistently every night at the same time, it's from habit. Otherwise, its probably from hunger. (There could be other reasons such as pain from colic)

The idea is to teach your baby to go to sleep by himself, without being held or rocked. This thread has poster (chanytroy) who describes the method.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....60912

bracha tova b

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 4:44 pm
Was wondering: does breastfed babies and formula babies make a difference in sleep or that's not true?

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 8:44 pm
pesek zman wrote:

My baby also did that till he started teething at 4, 5 months. Sorry to disappoint you Confused

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 8:49 pm
bracha tova b wrote:

If your baby is waking because he's hungry, you feed him. His stomach is tiny and going four hours between meals is a nice stretch for this age.

cm

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 9:37 pm
bracha tova b wrote:
Was wondering: does breastfed babies and formula babies make a difference in sleep or that's not true?

Breast milk is easily digested and may go through the baby's system faster, or so I have heard, so a breastfed baby may wake up to eat a little sooner than a formula-fed baby when they are very young infants.

pesek zman

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 9:48 pm
amother wrote:
My baby also did that till he started teething at 4, 5 months. Sorry to disappoint you Confused

Why do you think you're disappointing me?

Teething started around that time for my baby, and her pain certainly interrupted sleep. So did growth spurts, jet lag and illnesses. But she set the bar for herself and has been able to get back to sleeping through the night when she passes whatever hurdles she's going through

lucky14

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 10:26 pm
I also did what the "baby whisperer" suggested as far as night feeds (I didn't follow everything else she said, though I did find some of the other stuff a little helpful, I just mixed it with stuff I read elsewhere to find a good sleep solution that worked with my child). But for the night feeds I liked what she said and it worked with my baby. I don't remember the ages or number of night feedings she says but it's all in the book The baby whisperer solves your problems (or something like that).

lucky14

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 10:31 pm
bracha tova b wrote:

I think you should keep feeding him. 7 weeks is still really little. You say he's starving so you already know he's really hungry and not just nursing for comfort. Wait until he's a bit older. Getting up so often during the night is no fun, but it won't last forever and hopefully you agree that your baby is worth the sleep disturbance :-)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics