Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
ISO the literally easiest shabbos menu ever
Previous  1  2  3  Next

seeker

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 5:08 pm
I figured out that what I am missing is (mostly) not food, and yes a little time, but mostly I'm missing inspiration, energy, and motivation Sad I'm just sooooo burned out from not having a breather all week.

yksraya

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 5:31 pm
Maybe I'm too late, but there is a trick to put meat/chicken into a bowl with salted water for it to defrost quickly.

You can make a chulent, stew or just the steak (out of the club steak), in a crockpot on low and let it cook overnight for the day meal.

Glad your mom sent the soup. Maybe just add the cutlets and make it into a cream of chicken soup for the night meal? Or just leave it whole and add to the soup, it will cook while on blech, cutlets get done quickly.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 5:39 pm
Can you leave your oven on at the absolutely lowest temp, 175?

Take the club steak, even if it's frozen
Spice it up really well
Sear on high heat in a pan for about 4-5 min each side.
Slice onions, thick.
Put the onions in an aluminum pan
Take water and mix in a lot of spices, or soup mix if you use it.
Place the seared meat on top
Foil tightly.
Place in oven until tomorrow lunch.

Serve with canned potato
In the pan that you seared the meat add a little oil
Sauté the potatoes with spices add a lot of parsley
Serve at room temp.

That's for day.

For night
If your ground meat is defrosted I would make meatballs in tomato sauce
Ground meat, spices, matza meal or bread crumbs, egg.
Form balls
Put them in aluminum pan and under the broiler for about 5-7 min. Until they get brown.
Then pour any pasta sauce.
With this I would make rice, you can make it in the oven.
And the Brocolli

From the market pick up
Coleslaw
Shredded carrots
Mayo
Heart of Palm
Frozen Peas
Canned chickpeas
3 peppers different color
Lox

Menu
Friday night
Lox
Coleslaw with mayo
Heart of palm with peas (just defrost) and shredded carrots olive oil salt
Chickpea salad with thinly sliced peppers

Meatballs in tomato sauce
Rice
Brocolli

Lunch
Same fish and salads

Club steak
Potatoes with a lot of parsley

Hope this helps
Shabbat shalom

seeker

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 5:42 pm
Wow Rose amother, I wish you weren't anon because that was spectacular! I had no idea you could make meatballs like that. I'm going with meatloaf this time just because even rolling meatballs is more than my poor brain can coordinate right now. But I'm definitely bookmarking this for next Shabbos because next week is also going to be long (HOPEFULLY not AS bad as this week but I definitely have at least two afternoon appointments and one night meeting again)

amother
Rose

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 5:46 pm
seeker wrote:
Wow Rose amother, I wish you weren't anon because that was spectacular! I had no idea you could make meatballs like that. I'm going with meatloaf this time just because even rolling meatballs is more than my poor brain can coordinate right now. But I'm definitely bookmarking this for next Shabbos because next week is also going to be long (HOPEFULLY not AS bad as this week but I definitely have at least two afternoon appointments and one night meeting again)
k

Take the same recipe form into a loaf.
Take the sauce, add some sugar and spices.
Pour on to meatloaf when the meatloaf is 3/4 way done.
It'll make like a yummy sticky sauce on top.

Make sure you have challah and wine

seeker

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 5:50 pm
Got the food under control and the kids clean. Now what I want is Mary Poppins to come in here, snap her fingers, and get every single thing here picked up, cleaned, and put away. When four people have been living in a home for a week but haven't spent more than one waking hour at a time there, the place ends up looking very depressing.

yksraya

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 6:13 pm
Take it easy. Stash away some of the mess, to deal with after shabbos when you are more rested. get the kids to help pick everything off the floor. Perhaps promise a treat if they help.

mfb

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 6:16 pm
I sometimes give my little kids baby wipes or wet shmattas to wash black spots off the floor, if I'm not feeling well. Maybe try that. One can use the vaccum cleaner, and another gets to wash spots.

yksraya

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 6:24 pm
mfb wrote:
I sometimes give my little kids baby wipes or wet shmattas to wash black spots off the floor, if I'm not feeling well. Maybe try that. One can use the vaccum cleaner, and another gets to wash spots.

Yeah! My boys like to use the vacuum and sometimes fight over it.

I too give my kids baby wipes, and if old enough, disinfectant wipes to help clean. They love it!

seeker

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 6:51 pm
Table is cleared so it feels a lot better now. One kid is setting the table, the other is making the living room bed. I'm going to spend as little time as I can in the kitchen so I can try to ignore the disaster zone it is.

Meatloaf is done and tastes great (I sampled. Used ketchup instead of BBQ sauce), broccoli and veggies done, I'm goring to count on the kids falling asleep after the soup and the adults can handle eating the same thing twice (meatloaf both night and day). No sidedish, just extra challah snacking assuming DH turns up with the challah as requested (haven't heard from him since work...) Seuda shlishis is going to be yogurt, chocolate syrup to make it shabbosdig, and ice cream dessert. DH is never home for seuda shlishis anyway.

I think I'm actually going to bentsch licht EARLY right now and just crash somewhere! Thanks all for being there! Hug Hopefully I'll get some rest and feel better soon and get over the zillion things that didn't get done over the week. And I'm realizing that as icky as it feels to not be in the mood for Shabbos, it actually just shows on the positive side that I usually make a point of not getting that way. Yay me. And now it will be easier to not feel judgy when other people say they don't feel like Shabbos. Fare well, sisters.

cbg

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 6:58 pm
Seeker, if you can get the beds made it would be a big Zechut for you.
The two angles that come check for 3 things, candles, table set, beds made.
Shabbat Shalom

amother
Teal

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 7:07 pm
Treat yourself well this shabbos. As you said, avoid the kitchen. Relax, read, eat things you like, use disposables as needed. I also had the week out of h-ll and I have big plans for me, a book and some popcorn.

exhausted

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 7:07 pm
Seeker you are amazing! I hope next week turns out better than this week!

Ilovemaryland

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 7:52 pm
My go to in such a situation is

Jar gefilte fish available in store otherwise sardines

Matzo or bagels

Osem powder soup or can aoup with ou

Hamburgers or chicken cutlets in grill
Salad

Apple sauce. Or apples

juggling

Post Sat, May 06 2017, 4:11 pm
I realize it's too late now, but I was going to suggest dumping the ground meat into the crock pot with a jar of tomato sauce, then boiling up a pot of pasta to reheat for shabbat lunch and serve with the meat sauce. Of course, that would not have solved Friday dinner.

Shuly

Post Sat, May 06 2017, 5:28 pm
Too late for you now, but my go-to fast shabbos meal is:
chicken & rice in one pan, made with duck sauce
bake a bag of frozen string beans uncovered, with olive oil, soy sauce, salt, garlic powder and a tsp of sugar/splenda mixed in.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, May 06 2017, 5:56 pm
Seeker how did it go? Hope you got some rest.

Ya know - most of my shabbas menus look like your rushed ones embarrassed

Am I the only one?

Raisin

Post Sat, May 06 2017, 6:04 pm
For next week - make sure you have chicken . Bake a pan of chicken - seasoned, or with duck sauce. Rice - 2 cups rice, 4 cups water, soy sauce evvo and some soup mix or seasoning. Bake for about an hour till water evaporates and looks cooked. Salad or grilled veggies for side. Lox for first course. cold cuts and challah for lunch.

With chopped meat, you could also make a bolognese type sauce and serve over rice. You can even start with frozen meat...it defrosts as you brown it.

The trick is spending a few minutes on wednesday or thursday thinking about shabbos. Wednesday shop. Thursday take meat out of freezer.

Ruchel

Post Sat, May 06 2017, 7:05 pm
Entrée: salmon on buttered toast

Dish: brisket and oven potatoes, and/or throw a chulent in a crockpot (if you can do that, they sell it ready to put in the crockpot)

Dessert: applesauce you buy (with cinnamon?)

So the toast is very untraditional but you have fish & flash...

seeker

Post Sat, May 06 2017, 9:58 pm
amother wrote:

Ya know - most of my shabbas menus look like your rushed ones embarrassed

Am I the only one?

Nope, same here. That's why it's a real problem when my usual is still too much to handle! Usually it's me telling other people here how scaled-down my Shabbos is when they're freaking out about not having time to make 3 kugels, and I go... kugel? Just slice some carrots into your one-pan chicken-with-rice. LOL.

So nu, we all survived none the worse for wear. Tomorrow by hook or by crook I am getting myself to a Jewish supermarket and replenishing supplies of chicken, chicken cutlets, and frozen vegetables. Not sure exactly when that is happening but it needs to happen. I had a nap today and should really get back into a normal sleep schedule ASAP but instead I'm going to be up late tonight cleaning up because I just can't live anymore with nothing clean, plus I just realized that there is exactly one uniform shirt left and more than one person who needs to wear it. So far I've made a little progress since Shabbos but the mess is so deep and if I don't tackle it now then it's just going to get worse because I have more meetings and appointments this week. (after that IY"H the schedule lightens way up, assuming no new emergencies.... please G-d!) Hypnotized Time out
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note