Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
When do you talk to your daughter about menstruation.
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 1:28 am
Ok dumb question: What exactly is budding, and how do you know when there are buds? You don't see her undressed, she is too old for that. Do your dd's tell you? I feel like my dd wont tell me. Shes a very private shy kid in general.
OR is it something that can be seen with a shirt? Is it when it looks like they need a bra or before that even?

thanks!

salt

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 1:40 am
amother wrote:
Ok dumb question: What exactly is budding, and how do you know when there are buds? You don't see her undressed, she is too old for that. Do your dd's tell you? I feel like my dd wont tell me. Shes a very private shy kid in general.
OR is it something that can be seen with a shirt? Is it when it looks like they need a bra or before that even?

thanks!

You would see the buds kind of protruding if she's wearing an even slightly fitted cotton shirt (like a shell or something). Although at that stage I don't think they would need a bra yet.
I remember as a teen I used to always wear an undershirt at that stage, to kind of hide it a bit.
If she's the shy type who won't ask you, ask her casually at some stage, if she wants you to buy her a training bra. She'll be glad you asked.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 8:53 am
I started budding when I was 12 and got my period a full two years later when I was 14. I wore a training bra until I was out of high school.

southern bell

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 9:03 am
Way before it could start and surprise her. I got mine at 11. My mom hadnt talked to me, the nurse at school did. She didnt have pads in the house for me, she was at work..it was horrible.
So I recently talked to my daughter when she was about to turn 10. Waiting for budding or for them to start asking questions is a big mistake and can backfire. My mom was a nurse and avoided all the topics till I asked. I never did because I learned it elsewhere. It did not help create a healthy relationship knowing everyone else knew things I hadnt been told. My parents weren't so frum either, pretty modern. But obviously not prepared for those issues. They never talked to any of us and It was a big problem.

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 9:04 am
TwinsMommy wrote:
I know darn well my twins won't get it at the same week, month, or even year.

(one twin is a boy-- lol).

seriously--- my daughter has had her "buds" for a LONG time (ps-- how the heck do I know when to switch her from training bra to REAL bra?)----- expect it within MONTHS of budding? Not in our case.

I take my daughters for fittings at a place in Lakewood. She starts them off with training bras. As they get more developed, she switches them to a regular bra. It's about the point when they develop breasts and need support - not just buds.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 9:12 am
TwinsMommy wrote:

seriously--- my daughter has had her "buds" for a LONG time (ps-- how the heck do I know when to switch her from training bra to REAL bra?)----- expect it within MONTHS of budding? Not in our case.

What's the difference between a training bra and a regular one?

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 10:01 am
amother wrote:
What's the difference between a training bra and a regular one?

training bra is like a sports bra, doesn't have as much support, just a little elastic and shirring to hold in. Certainly not like an underwire bra....

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 1:49 pm
I'm starting to freak out. My DD is 8 and I guess I will need to tell her one day very soon! How do I even start, what do I tell her! My mom was very discreet and didn't tell me anything. Also she did was show me where she keeps the pads and how to use them she made me start wearing it all the time.And then when I got my period I freaked out cuz I wasn't wearing one and I was caught by surprise in my Friends house and I just wanted to run home and she couldn't understand why since we had made plans. I was 10.5yrs old in 5th grade.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics