Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
How much to spend on 4 minim (esrog)?
Previous  1  2  3

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 02 2007, 12:31 pm
Motek wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
this year had everything for 20 euros( 25 dollars). Dh learned the etrog doesn't have to be perfect, you just can't see the pulp.

just can't see the pulp? that's it?! why would he settle for such a miserable esrog when you say he's coming into lots of money? the esrog is referred to as hadar and one tries to buy the most (halachically) beautiful esrog and other minim as one can.

We didn't buy one like that. But if we did, it would have been ok. I'm not his rav nor I am an expert in esrogim or into telling him how to do the mitzvos, so I tell you what he says he learned.

He bought a regular one, not ugly, not perfect. The guys who sell the minim have tables in the street with all the sets, you look at bit to see if it looks good but not too much either since they are certified, then you take one and that's it. The prices are not very varied, if you want a very cheap or very expensive one you have to go in a shop. People who are taught to buy the most expensive or who cannot afford many things do it, others buy on the tables. It's not out of economy, it's because they learned there is no need to do anything else. The minim are certified by a rav, they are good! My cousin who makes business on 3 continents also buys on the tables, my father has seen him once. I doubt he's trying to cut off the expenses!

I wonder why, if I say people do x or I learned it's ok to do x, people assume I do it...

greenfire

Post Tue, Oct 02 2007, 1:39 pm
apparently the prices have gone up everywhere ...

and how can you compare a computer with a lulav ... or not having enough $$ with having internet ... they are cheap to be had these days (unless you are out there purchasing the latest technical equipment) as well as some necessity that maybe you have no idea of ...

one needs cash in pocket NOW to obtain a lulav and esrog ...plus you can borrow someones to do the mitzva ...

you cannot borrow food and other necessities ...

amother

Post Tue, Oct 02 2007, 5:27 pm
amother wrote:
How can someone have internet and computer but not be able to afford arbaas haminim? Work computer?

Library computer. I bring the kids once a week to the library. We spend a couple of hours and while they look at books, I get to use the internet for a little while.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics