Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How much do you spend a season
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 11:13 pm
How much do u spend a season on yourself and ur kids?

Currently have one daughter (2)
I appreciate designer things but know how to find a good deal. I get all her stuff on sale.
I spent a total of abt 1600
Between shab and weekday
I got her 8 shab - probably shld hv done 6

I like variety. And not willing to shop in gap or target or Ali.

I think I did pretty good considering how many things I got. And I know if I had gone to any Jewish stores here in Lakewood, I would hv spent more.

Husband thinks I’m crazy
So curious to hear what u all spend

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 11:18 pm
Wow that is a lot to spend on one toddler for one short season! I’m with your husband on this one.

I have a similar aged toddler girl. I got a box of hand me downs from my sister in law bH which included several Shabbos outfits and lots of adorable weekday clothes. Just had to buy sneakers for $40, and will need to buy her socks which will be around $20 tops. So that’s $60 for the season.

amother
Garnet

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 11:20 pm
I probably spent similar on my 3 year old but even I think I am crazy.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 11:21 pm
Is this a joke? You must be new if you think posting about spending $1600 on designer clothes for your 2yo per season is something that will end well

amother
Slateblue

I have 2 girls toddlers. $1,600 is probably combined for both of them together. -with shoes and hairbows.
they don't dress expensive but not too cheap either.
get like 2-3 nicer once the rest are from Ali.

amother
NeonPink

Your husband is right, $1600 is an insane amount to spend on 1 toddler for 1 season. Why does a toddler need 8 shabbos outfits? 3 is enough.

Coffee Addict

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 11:23 pm
Op that is a lot to spend on 1 kid. 8 shabbos?? I have 2 plus a robe. More than enough.

amother
Firethorn

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 11:27 pm
Can u afford it easily? If so enjoy just don’t flaunt it.

Tao

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 11:29 pm
amother NeonPink wrote:
Your husband is right, $1600 is an insane amount to spend on 1 toddler for 1 season. Why does a toddler need 8 shabbos outfits? 3 is enough.

Love reading these threads cuz it makes me feel good about how little I spend in comparison instead of guilty for buying new stuff for the season when last years' still fits LOL
agree that $1600 is crazy, but don't agree that 3 is enough. You need 2 per day in the summer for a toddler (and tbh an older kid as well), and thats assuming they'll be in pjs at night, otherwise you'll need 3. I understand not wanting to wear the same 3 outfits every week for a whole season.
Also don't forget 2 or sometimes 3 day yom tov...

giftedmom

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 11:30 pm
You do know even if you got a good deal because the original price was double you’re still spending what you’re spending

amother
Bluebell

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 11:30 pm
amother OP wrote:

I appreciate designer things but know how to find a good deal. I get all her stuff on sale.
Between shab and weekday

I think I did pretty good considering how many things I got. And I know if I had gone to any Jewish stores here in Lakewood, I would hv spent more.

Husband thinks I’m crazy

You spent 1600$ on clothing for your 2 year old?? For one season??

May Gd continue to bless you and your family with bounty.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 11:32 pm
amother OP wrote:

Between shab and weekday

Husband thinks I’m crazy

I dont even spend that much on my five kids a season ...im with your hub

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 11:35 pm
Hi OP here
Ok so let me backtrack
Like I said , 8 is a lot. I agree. I didn’t realize how many I got and shld hv gotten less.
But at same time , my family goes away for yt. And with 6 days yt (2 outfits a day) - I don’t even hv enough.
I would say 6 is a nice number for a toddler.

I don’t hv anyone to get hand me downs from. I’m an oldest

I’m not saying I can’t afford it. But at same time I can’t yes afford it.
Idk if that makes sense at all.
Was the credit card paid, yes. But was it no big deal, no.

I also said I don’t shop on Ali. I grew up shopping Jewish brands or designers and I appreciate tht kind of stuff.
Also they last longer. Iyh for my next daughter I will be able to hand down a lot

Highstrung

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 11:35 pm
I would say my daughter wears at least $1600 worth of hand me downs but I’d never buy it myself, I’m just lucky to be the recipient of someone else’s clothes . She has more than 8 outfits/dresses though . I spend around a total of $100 a season on multiple pairs of shoes usually in the $25 range and about $75 on cute cheap clothes that I want her to have as new from me
Another $100 on socks , and hair accessories

amother
NeonPink

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 11:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi OP here
Ok so let me backtrack
Like I said , 8 is a lot. I agree. I didn’t realize how many I got and shld hv gotten less.
But at same time , my family goes away for yt. And with 6 days yt (2 outfits a day) - I don’t even hv enough.

I also said I don’t shop on Ali. I grew up shopping Jewish brands or designers and I appreciate tht kind of stuff.
Also they last longer. Iyh for my next daughter I will be able to hand down a lot

The problem is that you're most probably going to want to match your next baby ti their older sibling & most likely won't use hand me downs.
If you can't easily afford the $1600, then it's too much for you to spend on a child's wardrobe. Especially if your husband is not happy about it.

Coffee Addict

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 11:40 pm
I also grew up shopping jewish stores, and I love and appreciate designer. My mother bought me gorgeous stuff. When I was a adult. Not a toddler for goodness sake.

I learned very quickly to shop at ali. I do buy designer shabbos only on a great sale.

And very likely you won’t pass down clothing. You will want to match. Wait and see.

giftedmom

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 11:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi OP here
Ok so let me backtrack

Somehow I think you will want current styles for your next daughter. Be realistic.
I feel bad for you is all I can say, and for your husband. Unfortunately I know too many like you. Teaching my kids responsibility and not getting them too accustomed to high standards is what keeps me up at night.

Tao

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 11:42 pm
Are you including shoes, hair bows etc?
Pjs, underwear, everything? or just on 8 nice outfits for shabbos?

(I still don't spend close to $1600 but all these things do add up.)

Generally I buy:
Underwear if they need
Tzitzis usually only need once a year
3 new yarmulkes for each season bec I get so sick of the old ones, plus they grow out of them and they get so dirty and gross
1 pari shabbos and 1 pair weekday shoes
in the summer water resistant shoes, in the winter uggs bec I have floor in most of my house and its cold
3 pairs weekday pjs and 1 pair shabbos pjs (more for a kid who's constantly leaking through their diaper)
socks if needed
shabbos and weekday coat if winter - these I would reuse from year before if they still fit bec I buy expensive coats; I've done cheaper coats and they just aren't warm enough so I splurge here
bathing suit if summer if last years doesnt fit

all that is not including actual clothes....and obviously seasons where I do need to buy coats etc are more expensive....
(no girls lol)

amother
Bluebell

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 11:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi OP here
Ok so let me backtrack

OP you know know as well as we do they if designer and fashion is so important to you that you’re going to want to buy new for Gd willing your furture daughters. If you’re not willing to dress your kids in mainstream brands like Zara and H&M (even occasionally) this is always going to be a high value to you. BH I have always gone away for Pesach too so I know that having 2 shabbos dresses isn’t enough but you and I both know you don’t need 8 designer outfits! Your 2 year old can repeat clothing! It won’t hurt her shidduch. Or you can buy 3 of your favorite designer outfits and 3 ‘normal’ ones to bring the total down. I’m also trying to imagine my 2 year old in a playground in designer clothes. Or playing on the floor or in the tearoom where things are getting spilled. I just don’t get it. Dress yourself anyway you want/can afford but why does a baby need to exclusively wear designer clothes?

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 11:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi OP here
Ok so let me backtrack

Confused if you can actually afford it or not. But either way, its a lot. I can easily afford it, I spend that much on a pair of shoes. I still would never spend anywhere near that on my 2 year old who will outgrow it in 4 seconds and then im stuck with clothes ill never use again (because yes, I like to match my kids)
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics