Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Galley kitchen design - long narrow

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 9:50 am
Is a 10 ft kitchen too narrow for a busy large family - I have a lot of length, but not a lot of width.
Anyone have a long narrow kitchen?
Can you share the layout and how it works for you? Do you like it better or worse then other styles.

Thanks.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 10:16 am
10 feet wide? That's more than enough width. In a galley kitchen that's close to 6 feet between opposite counter runs.

pesek zman

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 10:19 am
I love my galley kitchen, tons of Counter space. But I prefer to cook and prep alone: do you envision cooking with your family in the kitchen with you?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 10:22 am
IN the morning it gets busy - the kids make their own eggs, oatmeal, lunches, DH makes his lunch, I'm prepping supper. All at the same time. We do it now in a tiny kitchen I just stay out of the way until they are out.

@Rubber Ducky - what would you recommend as the minimum width for such an area? Trying to figure out how much width we have to do an addition.

But I'm thinking I'd like the layout.

Can you fit a table comfortably in a breakfast nook that is as wide as the Galley kitchen?

pesek zman

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 10:27 am
amother wrote:
IN the morning it gets busy - the kids make their own eggs, oatmeal, lunches, DH makes his lunch, I'm prepping supper. All at the same time. We do it now in a tiny kitchen I just stay out of the way until they are out.

@Rubber Ducky - what would you recommend as the minimum width for such an area? Trying to figure out how much width we have to do an addition.

Ok if that's the case it will be tight in my opinion

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 10:55 am
Depends on your table width, but nine feet would give you 36" on each side of a 36-inch-wide table centered in the space, and that's enough to squeeze by to get to your spot at the table.

It's not enough if you need to walk through that spot to somewhere beyond the table unless you push the table off center: more like a booth with the seating on 1 side being a bench.

Remember that if your addition is 10 feet wide, that's an exterior width — the actual interior width would be just over 9 feet.

Also... no idea what you're working with or planning, but a very long skinny shape is not that visually pleasing. If your existing kitchen is 10 feet wide and you're extending it, you might want to make the addition part wider and have the table long side perpendicular to the counters.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 12:48 pm
We would like to put an 10 - 12 ft wide addition along a 35 ft long home. (depending on what we can get zoning).
So it will be long all the way down.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 1:17 pm
So the addition will be completely on the side of the house, and not extending along the back of the house at all. What happens to the existing kitchen? Can it or will it be part of the finished space? Or can you start the addition farther back and make it more L-shaped instead of long-skinny-rectangle-shaped?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 1:21 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
So the addition will be completely on the side of the house, and not extending along the back of the house at all. What happens to the existing kitchen? Can it or will it be part of the finished space? Or can you start the addition farther back and make it more L-shaped instead of long-skinny-rectangle-shaped?

Thanks so much -
I"d like to combine the existing kitchen and dining room to make a large room - living room (don't have one now) and dining room combined so can be used for simchos or large crowds (the new room will be about 25 x 15).
I'm not sure if we can extend along the back of the house - maybe it a possibility - I would love to put a breakfast room back there. (I wish money was not a consideration)
The beams go along the length of the house so its tricky combining the new addition with the existing house too much.
I really appreciate your brainstorming

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 1:55 pm
So you might be able to start farther back and go wider in the breakfast room part — extend the breakfast room part maybe 4-6 feet along the back wall. Creates a nice "L" for a sukkah and a better shaped kitchen-breakfast — but every new corner does increase costs and your roofline becomes more complex.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 8:41 pm
Thank you I really appreciate your input.

familyfirst

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 9:46 pm
Rubber ducky- you're good!!! How'd you do that???

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 6:55 am
Thanks for asking! Space planning, kitchen design, and residential design is my passion, and I do it professionally. My website is: www.design613.com

Last edited by Rubber Ducky on Wed, May 17 2017, 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

familyfirst

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 12:48 pm
Checked out your website. Very well done! Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen