Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Did you change sibling's diapers?
Previous  1  2  3

Tzutzie

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 8:17 pm
Never. Because there wasn't a baby in the house after me.....
But I changed my nieces and nephews diapers all the time. I babysat from a very young age.

I don't remember when I actually learned to change a diaper because I must have learned it at the same time as I was toilet trained. Kidding. But honestly, it's not a big deal. I never minded doing it. IMO, changing a diaper is a chesed shel emes. These little babies are so helpless.

Interestingly, once I had my own kids it is a lot harder for me to change some elses kids. But I still do it.

The only time I couldn't was when I was watching my sisters almost 2.5 yo at my moms house and she had a dirty diaper and I was nauseous amd pregnant and felt faint midchange. I yelled for my mom and she took over. Whew.

Coffee Addict

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 8:26 pm
I did change diapers all the time. My DD changes my baby's pamper only when it's wet.she doesn't mind at all, just another way of helping.

A soiled pamper is for me to do or DH.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 9:23 pm
No way
I learned to change my first diaper when my baby was 2 days old- they wouldnt let me out if hospital til I tried!

Chayalle

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 10:01 pm
I changed lots of diapers when I was growing up. I have 8 younger siblings.

My girls never changed my youngest DD's diaper - they were 7 and 10 when she was born. I suppose they could have, but there really was no need. They helped out in other ways (they brought me the diaper and wipes, stuff like that...).

I actually think learning to change diapers is good, so long as it's not overdone (like where the child takes over for the parent too much, or the child is really too young to handle it). It's part of growing up and is a pretty normal household activity. I'm glad my DD's learned to do that while babysitting for neighbors.

ROFL

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 10:21 pm
I changed my sisters diapers all the time. I was 11 when she was born. My own children are very close in age and my two oldest helped change the younger diapers. They liked helping and using wipes to clean the baby. I think the issue is were you forced to do it instead of the mom vs if you helped because you wanted to.

sky

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 10:29 pm
No.
I remember babysitting once and I had no clue how to put on a diaper and redid it so many times and was thinking the mother would think I was nuts when she was the diaper later.
When I had my first I had changed very few diapers - but you figure it out quickly.

My kids have never changed a diaper - but they are young. My oldest is 11 now, and I know he would have no problem doing it - he loves getting the baby dressed - but I've told him its a mommy job and he doesn't have to do it.

tichellady

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 12:08 am
Yes I did and it was not a source of tension or an issue at all.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 5:38 am
Of course! I am the oldest of 10 Kah and I changed more diapers than I can count... it was just another way that I happily pitched in to help my somewhat overwhelmed mama. It only stood me in good stead when I became a mom myself Smile

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 9:17 am
Miri7 wrote:
My sibling and I were too close in age for me to change her. But luckily my DH was the oldest - and he was a pro at it when our kids came along.

He's from a big family with lots of cousins so there were always babies around and everyone learns how to change diapers.

My older kids did from time to time to help out.

I'm willing to concede that it seems that in many homes it is pretty normal for the children to change diapers. But, not that it makes any different for marriage. Both dh and I were pretty clueless in this area (though how long does it take to learn already?) though he now does most of them when he's around at home.

Culturedpearls

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 10:06 am
Some of my kids would insist on changing a diaper . One son really wanted to be helpful around 10-11yo & didn't mind dirty ones either.
My daughter maybe changed her younger sister a handful of times.
The other kids never.
In general they only changed if they volunteered to do so. Usually under my supervision.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 10:17 am
I don't rememer doing it but the age difference would have worked and I'd have been willing . I would not have thought it was weird which is probably why I don't remember doing it.

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 10:31 am
sky wrote:
No.
I remember babysitting once and I had no clue how to put on a diaper and redid it so many times and was thinking the mother would think I was nuts when she was the diaper later.
When I had my first I had changed very few diapers - but you figure it out quickly.

My kids have never changed a diaper - but they are young. My oldest is 11 now, and I know he would have no problem doing it - he loves getting the baby dressed - but I've told him its a mommy job and he doesn't have to do it.

Why not a Mommy and Daddy job?

I basically changed my kids' diapers but DH pitched in as well, whenever needed....I have a relative whose DH does not change diapers, and to be honest, I would resent that in a spouse.

lfab

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 10:34 am
I did change younger siblings diapers. But only when I was babysitting for them (like if my parents had a wedding and I was babysitting that night). If my mother was around then she changed all diapers. That's pretty much how I plan on handling it with my own kids. Although my 8 year old has started asking me to show her how to change wet diapers because she wants to change the baby's diaper for me. If a child is asking to do it I would allow them to. But I would never expect it of them. Unless, like above, they were "officially" babysitting for their younger sibling at the time the child needed to be changed. And even then, if they knew I'd be home within a few minutes I would have no problem with them leaving it for me to do when I got home.

sky

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 11:18 am
@Chayalle - you are right I should have said a parents job.
I sure hope my boys change diapers when they have kids I'yH.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 12:03 am
Not usually, unless I was babysitting and mother wasn't due home for a while
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics