Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
New furniture

rachel0615

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 4:06 pm
We are moving soon and looking to buy new furniture. We support ourselves and had no help in setting up our apartment. We bought what we could and look to spend as little as possible...Well I have gotten to the point that I am tired of not having enough storage or not liking how our apartment looks with all the mismatched furniture.

I am trying to make a budget to get a bedroom set and some furniture for the living room- couch, coffee table and buffet for dining room. We were hoping to be able to get all of this for 2,000 but that does not seem so realistic.

How much should a decent bedroom set cost? I want us to get a wide dresser and a narrow one, 2 night stands and maybe 2 bed frames too.

How much should a decent couch and coffee table and buffet cost?

I really just want things that look nice, nothing over the top, and that will last us a while. My poor DH is kind of freaking out because this feels like a lot of money to him and he does not really apprecaite furniture but this is important to me. Thanks for your help!

shyshira

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 6:14 pm
Forget what things "should cost" and look at what things do cost.

I love wayfair.com

mommyofd1

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 6:28 pm
If you're trying to buy a lot of furniture for a minimal amount of money do NOT shop in the frum furniture stores. Try to do your shopping online and in lower price stores, such as wayfair.
I also suggest you start with one area at a time, as you can't furnish your whole apartment for 2000. Maybe do your living area first- a good couch could be $800 along with a coffee table to 100 and a buffet for another few hundred.

challahchallah

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 6:53 pm
Furniture tends to have one of the highest mark-ups. Try to find a store that doesn't have a big showroom, but has a few pieces and you can order more from a catalogue. I got some beautiful pieces that way (and made exactly to my specifications). Just be prepared to wait for a couple months while you're items are made--but well worth it. Good luck!

MiracleMama

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 9:45 pm
Another vote for Wayfair. My mom turned me on to this site and I have purchased a few things so far. Surprisingly good quality and the best customer service to boot.

allcuteonesrtak

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 12:16 pm
Are you on Facebook? There are a lot of couples selling their almost brand new furniture for way less then they (or their parents) paid for.
Also, you can but antique. The good thing about antiques (if you buy good quality) is that 1) they last. Their built to last. 2) if you decide to sell it.. you won't be losing out. Prices for antiques goes up the older it gets

allcuteonesrtak

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 9:06 pm
R u on Facebook? There's someone selling an entire bedroom set on Facebook for$175!!! I thought of your right away.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains