Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
School dinners

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 12:54 pm
Does everyone go to school dinner? And if yes how do you afford it it's almost a month tuition?

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 12:56 pm
No they don't.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 12:58 pm
I asked the secretary when she called to see who's coming if most parents are going she said yes. I feel bad not going it's a new small school but it's a lot

amother
Pink

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 12:59 pm
amother wrote:
Does everyone go to school dinner? And if yes how do you afford it it's almost a month tuition?

I have never been to a school, or a shul, dinner. I never will. Socially, its not my thing. If I can donate, I do. I don't need the mediocre food and company I don't enjoy in return.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 12:59 pm
The dinner fee is a mandatory part of our tuition. We don't go though because we have no interest and we'd have to pay for babysitting as well.

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 1:08 pm
It's mandatory like tuition in my DD's school as well. I try to plan ahead and put some money aside here and there for it, so it doesn't hit like a ton of bricks when the time comes (sometimes this doesn't help - other things invariably pop up that need my stash....)

DH and I both go, though we don't generally stay very long. We feel that the school deserves a show of our support.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 1:33 pm
amother wrote:

In my school it's mandatory to attend and pay. I was very firm about what I could give (not even a token of what they were asking for) and made clear that I was doing everything I could just to pay tuition bills and this wasn't possible. They reluctantly agreed to my donation. Told me I need to come anyway and they'll reserve a seat and dinner plate but I didn't participate in the food. Just showed up to show my support since my presence was mandatory and then went home.

mha3484

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 3:11 pm
Our school dinner is reasonable ($100 pp). Only one of us goes and it counts towards our give and get requirement. The school likes to have a lot of parents come so if you cant afford they will offer a discounted rate. I am much more social then DH so I go and I usually enjoy it.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 6:33 pm
Its not mandatory - and you can show up if you don't pay. They want bodies.
But we don't count ma'aser for tuition but we do count the dinner fee - so that makes it much easier - we just ear mark a part of our ma'aser for there instead of a different org.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children