Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
I spent $650 in the grocery today!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

allthingsblue

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 9:56 pm
amother wrote:
We do throw some food out, it's impossible to calculate exactly. But in general mostly everything gets eaten, unless nobody liked it. I hate waste, so we will eat the leftovers for a few days after yom tov which is how we avoid waste. The reason why I buy a lot of variety is because my husband doesn't like it when we repeat foods, so that's why I'll buy 4 roasts, one for each meal. And make 4 types of chicken, etc....

I'm not being judgemental- I could easily spend that much money on our small family if I wasn't careful, between the expensive fruits and salads that I like, cheesecake, and special meats for Yom tov (veal, nicer cut of meat etc), but I'm wondering if it's really necessary to make a roast AND chicken for each meal.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 10:00 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
I'm not being judgemental- I could easily spend that much money on our small family if I wasn't careful, between the expensive fruits and salads that I like, cheesecake, and special meats for Yom tov (veal, nicer cut of meat etc), but I'm wondering if it's really necessary to make a roast AND chicken for each meal.

Well I'm having guests for most meals, so kind of.

The meal there are no guests, I am doing dairy and quite simple. Salmon, fresh blintzes, ravioli, corn on the cob and spinach.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 10:03 pm
amother wrote:
Well I'm having guests for most meals, so kind of.

The meal there are no guests, I am doing dairy and quite simple. Salmon, fresh blintzes, ravioli, corn on the cob and spinach.

Yes, if you're having guests, you do need, I agree!

Anyway, yes I could easily spend that amount of money if I was having guests!

groisamomma

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 10:06 pm
If you have the money, then why not? I say kol hakavod, it makes Y"T more beautiful.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 10:08 pm
Thanks everyone! You really all made me feel much better!

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 10:22 pm
I didn't really figure out how much I spent on groceries this week but I know that last thursday I went shopping 2x - each time spending about $150. I was thinking how overwhelming it is to have to cook for shabbos and then yomtov and then have things in the house for next shabbos and things in the house for when it's not shabbos or y"t. Last friday I emailed a grocery order for another $60 and then I sent my dh to the store right before shabbos for a few last minute things - lets say that was another $25. Today I emailed another order that cost me $85. Funny, how it can all add up even for a small family with no guests (we did have a sleepover guest last shabbos) no guests for yomtov - so we are 6 people and let's see how much I spent:

wow!!! that $470!!!! I didn't even realize! That's nuts how it all adds up! Yes, Of course you spent more than me ..you are having guests so you need more variety. If it all gets eaten, then I think it makes sense!

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 10:49 pm
There's a Gemara that states that whatever a person spends for Shabbat, YomTov, Rosh Chodesh, and the education of the children, it is not part of the yearly allowence pre-established in Rosh Hashana.

flower3

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 10:55 pm
Don't worry! Everything you spend for Shabbos and Yom tov, Hashem pays you back!

amother
Puce

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 11:07 pm
amother wrote:
Ok. So bh we have all necessities and lots of luxuries. And we pay our cc in full every month. And we have about $100,000+ in savings, and lately we've been saving between $1,000-3,000 a month. So I guess we are okay.

Chances are, if you can save $3000 a month, you can afford to splurge on a grocery bill.

FTR, I spent about $400, but that included some things for the freezer. Then my oven broke, so its not getting cooked anytime soon.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 12:05 am
amother wrote:
Ok. So bh we have all necessities and lots of luxuries. And we pay our cc in full every month. And we have about $100,000+ in savings, and lately we've been saving between $1,000-3,000 a month. So I guess we are okay.

Lucky u! There r so many people that can barely make ends meet forget about saving 1-3,000 a month!!! Count your blessings!

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 12:10 am
flower3 wrote:
Don't worry! Everything you spend for Shabbos and Yom tov, Hashem pays you back!

What you spend L'chovod Shabbos and Yom Tov you get back double. Thats my mentality.

lucky14

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 1:11 am
ugh I hate when people say that thing about how much you spend you make it back or whatever. If you're really struggling it is not wise to have this kind of attitude.

To the OP, it sounds like you can afford it (and that your husband requests the many options) so enjoy. I'm just impressed you're making so much food! Smile

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 1:26 am
If you look at the prices, pound for pound, cheese is often more expensive than meat.

Brie averages $22 a pound. I would never pay that much for meat, even for steak! Yet, I see that creamy little wedge, with it's pretty wrapper, and I just can't resist... and oh look, they got in emmentaler and parmesan, and... Very Happy

So yeah, I just spent over 800 shekels at the store, and I was shocked at the checkout. DH is going to have a fit when it shows up on the credit card. We'll have to have a whine and cheese party. I'll eat the cheese, and DH will whine that there's no meat in the house! LOL

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 8:20 am
amother wrote:
We do throw some food out, it's impossible to calculate exactly. But in general mostly everything gets eaten, unless nobody liked it. I hate waste, so we will eat the leftovers for a few days after yom tov which is how we avoid waste. The reason why I buy a lot of variety is because my husband doesn't like it when we repeat foods, so that's why I'll buy 4 roasts, one for each meal. And make 4 types of chicken, etc....

The reason I asked is that I was sensing some food insecurity, maybe when you grew up you had to skimp and now you're not letting yourself exhale. (Of course, I'm likely reading a lot into the few lines you've shared.) I think you have a good handle on the quantity. Though I will say, you don't have to be a garbage can. And lo alecha hamlacha or the leftovers ligmore - share with the famly. Or freeze leftovers to have the base for an easy supper or three.

crust

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 8:26 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
We'll have to have a whine and cheese party. I'll eat the cheese, and DH will whine that there's no meat in the house! LOL

LOL LOL LOL

crust

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 8:29 am
PinkFridge wrote:
And lo alecha hamlacha or the leftovers ligmore.

Pinkfridge;🖒

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 8:42 am
PinkFridge wrote:
The reason I asked is that I was sensing some food insecurity, maybe when you grew up you had to skimp and now you're not letting yourself exhale. (Of course, I'm likely reading a lot into the few lines you've shared.) I think you have a good handle on the quantity. Though I will say, you don't have to be a garbage can. And lo alecha hamlacha or the leftovers ligmore - share with the famly. Or freeze leftovers to have the base for an easy supper or three.

Not at all. I grew up very comfortably bh. However, I do think that some of my spending habits and uneasiness does stem from my childhood. Definitely worth exploring in therapy as someone else mentioned upthread.

crust

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 8:47 am
amother wrote:
Not at all. I grew up very comfortably bh. However, I do think that some of my spending habits and uneasiness does stem from my childhood. Definitely worth exploring in therapy as someone else mentioned upthread.

I've seen that for some Holocaust Survivors grandchildren, this anxiety around food is so ingrained, Its a pachad norah...

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 8:58 am
crust wrote:
Pinkfridge;🖒

Can't see the graphics, but I'll take it in the spirit in which I'm sure it was intended Very Happy

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 9:00 am
amother wrote:

It sounds like b"H you're financially strong. That you were so uneasy, that you talk about anxiety, made me read between the lines as I did. And I agree that it's something worth exploring, however you choose to do it.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics