Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Freeze or Refrigerate Challah

Jk2018

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 7:16 pm
Hi,
I made lots or Challah today and would like to have some for Shavuot and Shabbat also. Usually from one week to the next I freeze extra Challah but here its 5 days. Should I freeze or refrigerate the Challah for Shabbat?
Thanks

yksraya

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 7:19 pm
Freeze

mamaleh

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 7:21 pm
Freeze. Bread should never be refrigerated.

crust

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 7:21 pm
Freeze
Fridge will make it soggy and a half

zaq

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 7:41 pm
Don't refrigerate baked goods. They get stale more quickly in the fridge than at room temp. Either freeze or keep at room temp. In hot humid weather they will get moldy fast so take out enough for the day and leave the rest in the freezer.

OMG!

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 7:52 pm
I always freeze. Even when I bake Thursday. And Friday night I put back in freezer for shabbos morning. Gets a certain taste when left out for too long

Jk2018

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 11:00 pm
Thank you all! Never thought I'd get that many people agreeing on something here Wink
Does that mean that home made dairy pastries made with fillo dough or puff pastry should be frozen too or are they supposed to get soggy in the fridge?
Also what is your preferred method for defrosting challah?

devorah1231

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 11:07 pm
Always take out Thursday night for Shabbos. Never had a problem with taste.
I freeze in large ziplocs and defrost in same. Only issues is sometimes they stick together. I make small challahs so I get 2 or 3 per bag.

Seas

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 11:08 pm
Freeze and bake again from frozen on Friday (or erev yom tov) for about 10 minutes. That way you get a lovely crust without drying out the inside.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen