Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Advice please- 6 week old can't sleep more than 45min

nnmom

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 5:43 pm
Looking for advice from some experienced moms. My newborn wakes up after between 10 and 45 minutes. From every nap. It's probably gas. He has one "long stretch" where he sleeps 3 hours around midnight. Then up for the day at 3am napping the short naps.
Any advice other than changing my diet? He nurses every 2 to 2.5 hours.

Any help appreciated!!

cbs880

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 7:32 pm
If you are drinking anything with caffeine in it, stop. I would also avoid chocolate. Some babies have a major sensitivity to it.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 7:42 pm
nnmom wrote:
Looking for advice from some experienced moms. My newborn wakes up after between 10 and 45 minutes. From every nap. It's probably gas. He has one "long stretch" where he sleeps 3 hours around midnight. Then up for the day at 3am napping the short naps.
Any advice other than changing my diet? He nurses every 2 to 2.5 hours.

Any help appreciated!!

Do you swaddle him? Could he have reflux?

Wrap him very tightly. A lot of babies are used to being snug as a bug in the fetal position within the womb, no extra space around them. Then suddenly they're in a cold wide open world, floundering, feeling very insecure.
Some babies need even more than swaddling. They need to be put to swaddled and then put to sleep on their side with two rolled up blankets on either side, holding them snug in place in their small bassinets.

If this doesn't work, take him to the pediatrician to discuss reflux. His food may be coming up on him and burning. He may be waking up from the pain.

gold21

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 7:45 pm
Check for reflux

nnmom

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 9:08 pm
We swaddle him at night.
He doesn't spit up much, I mostly hear his stomach cramping.
I don't have caffeine but do eat chocolate. Hmm that would be hard to give up but I might need to try that.
Any other suggestions?

Last edited by nnmom on Thu, Jun 15 2017, 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

L K

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 9:14 pm
Try to get him outside for some fresh air, he may sleep longer stretches after that.

unexpected

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 9:30 pm
Make sure he burps after each feeding. Especially if he falls asleep right away.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 9:41 pm
nnmom wrote:
We swaddle him at night.
He doesn't spit up much, I mostly here his stomach cramping.
I don't have caffeine but do eat chocolate. Hmm that would be hard to give up but I might need to try that.
Any other suggestions?

His stomach is bothering him and you need to figure out why. As long as he's in pain, he most likely won't sleep well.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 10:11 pm
is your baby burping, in between sides and at the end of each feeding?
is he getting a full feed? like if he falls asleep in the middle of a feeding, do you put him back down to sleep or does you make sure he eats from both sides?

for during the day, have you heard of the E.A.S.Y method (the baby whisperer?) she talks about looking for cues for when baby is actually tired and teaches you when is the right time to put down for naps and bedtime..

Gefiltefish

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 10:31 am
I don't know if I'm allowed to say this... but put baby to sleep on his STOMACH! Cozy and good for gas!

working hard

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 10:34 am
FYI two of my kids had silent GERD which is basically reflux without spitting up. You may want to look into that. The only sign was discomfort and stomach cramping.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics