Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What is the craziest lie you ever believed?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 12:25 pm
amother wrote:
I used to believe that my father is not a pedophile.
I found out last night that he really really is.
He has a relations addiction and he attacks kids.

I always thought that it was just a boundary issue. Especially, when my aunts and uncles told me that he never molested us, and we don't know what molestation really is.

Baruch hanosein l'sechvi Bina To tell the difference between distorted truths and the real truth.

I wanted to post something along these lines but didn't want to derail the thread.
Unfortunately though, of all the lies I have been told, the one that I wasnt molested was the worst. It made me believe that everything is a lie including the existence of anything spiritual or my own feelings and intuition. I stopped to trust.
I can't believe how naive I was... WAS!! LOL LOL

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 12:28 pm
amother wrote:
I wanted to post something along these lines but didn't want to derail the thread.
Unfortunately though, of all the lies I have been told, the one that I wasnt molested was the worst. It made me believe that everything is a lie including the existence of anything spiritual or my own feelings and intuition. I stopped to trust.
I can't believe how naive I was... WAS!! LOL LOL

was!!!!
Cheers Very Happy LOL

Water Stones

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 12:37 pm
When DH and I were dating, we went to a watercolor painting class for a date. He made his trees orange, other things odd colors and when the teacher commented on him, he said he was colorblind. I was shocked, I asked really? He said yes. I didn't say more about it because I still wanted to marry him even I didn't want my children to maybe be colorblind, too.

So after a month we were married I wanted more information like how different we see colors. And he said he's not colorblind, it was joking and he didn't know I believe it!! Jerk!!😂❤️

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 12:55 pm
It turns out you don't go blind if you look during duchening.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 1:02 pm
Somebody at work told everyone that I had an affair. I have never ever had relations outside of marriage with Kiddushin, even when I was divorced (and I do know divorcees who have done it). I have no idea how far this lie is being passed along and there is no way for me to stop it. I do know that quite a number of people accept it as fact because many of my friends stopped talking to me.

daagahminayin

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 1:31 pm
sequoia wrote:
That "misled" was pronounced misle-d.

I just listened to a podcast last night about childhood misunderstandings people carry into adulthood and "misled" was one of the examples. So you're not alone!

It was This American Life episode 605 if you're interested. The first story is just adorable.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 1:39 pm
amother wrote:
was!!!!
Cheers Very Happy LOL

Cheers

pause

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 2:03 pm
water_bear88 wrote:
That carrots don't actually help you see better- turns out it was a piece of British WWII propaganda that stuck around.

I always knew that it's the abundance of Vitamin A which makes it good for eye health in general.

estelle

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 7:35 pm
hello3 wrote:
As a kid, I was told that when u lie on the floor and someone passes over u u will stop growing. I still have a slight fear of it and can't stand crossing over babies. I know it's in my head but it's there Very Happy

OMG haha me too!!!!

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 7:45 pm
Santa Claus

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 7:46 pm
I was told by my parents thay they could read my forehead. That my forehead tells them everything about me and that if I ever lie about anything they can read that on my forehead.
It took many years for me to realize I'd been lied to.
I lived in sheer terror til then.

cholenteater

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 7:52 pm
amother wrote:
I was told by my parents thay they could read my forehead. That my forehead tells them everything about me and that if I ever lie about anything they can read that on my forehead.
It took many years for me to realize I'd been lied to.
I lived in sheer terror til then.

Wow Hug Hug

Boca00

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 8:25 pm
My friend told me she wore one-day contact lenses for a year and went blind, temporarily.
And that she made peace between her mom and cousin who had been in a fight for years. (Her "cousin" is a famous Jewish author... not.)
And that she was molested.
And that she has a photographic memory (but when I tested her, I did better than she did!)

It took me a while to learn she was a pathological liar, and it took me a while to start believing people again.

groovy1224

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 8:49 pm
I was a ninteties child, and my favorite movie was the parent trap (the lindsay lohan version). I spent YEARS dreaming I had a secret twin just like her, and we would one day get up to some crazy shenanigans. The day I learnt that it was one actress playing both twins I think my heart broke. I felt extremely betrayed.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 8:56 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
I just listened to a podcast last night about childhood misunderstandings people carry into adulthood and "misled" was one of the examples. So you're not alone!

It was This American Life episode 605 if you're interested. The first story is just adorable.

Wait, are you saying misled isn't a word? Or is it spelled mislead? I looked up at dictionary.com and it lists misled as a variant of mislead, but not as a word on its own. Now I'm completely confused. embarrassed

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 8:57 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
I was a ninteties child, and my favorite movie was the parent trap (the lindsay lohan version). I spent YEARS dreaming I had a secret twin just like her, and we would one day get up to some crazy shenanigans. The day I learnt that it was one actress playing both twins I think my heart broke. I felt extremely betrayed.

My heart broke for HER when I found out!

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 8:59 pm
sequoia wrote:
That "misled" was pronounced misle-d.

I had so many of those! I was a huge reader, but a lot of the words I never heard pronounced until years after I'd been reading them.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 9:11 pm
That you can live without any money if you believe in the ideal of men learning Torah you will have enough to be in kollel forever.

That birth control isn't something "we" do.

sequoia

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 9:54 pm
amother wrote:
Wait, are you saying misled isn't a word? Or is it spelled mislead? I looked up at dictionary.com and it lists misled as a variant of mislead, but not as a word on its own. Now I'm completely confused. embarrassed

"Misled" is a word. That's how it's spelled (past tense). It's pronounced mis-led, which is counter-intuitive Smile I and many others thought it was pronounced misle-d. You know, to misle somebody Smile

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 9:59 pm
amother wrote:
I had so many of those! I was a huge reader, but a lot of the words I never heard pronounced until years after I'd been reading them.

My personal favorite was debris.
Deb-ris
It's funny, because I had heard the word on the radio during 9/11, but never realized that it was the same word that I was reading in books.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics