Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
How does everyone know how to just NOT eat
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

sequoia

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 9:20 am
Marina, it is concerning that you don't eat fruit.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 9:45 am
amother wrote:
If you find that you can't control yourself around food I'd suggest you look into OA, it's been my lifesaver. Some people have a real issue controlling their eating, I'm one of them. I learned what I need to do to get my life together and I'm so grateful.

Yup..totally agree..there is a jewish version of it called TLC...I'm doing it bh for 3 plus years..best thing ever, not easy in the beginning, but it has changed my life around in all areas, not just the food...

debsey

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 10:34 am
sequoia wrote:
Marina, it is concerning that you don't eat fruit.

Not really. Most fruit nowadays is produced to have the maximum fructose, which is more sugar than many can handle.

If you eat leafy greens, tomatoes, and occasionally a nutrional powerhouse like pumpkin or sweet potato, you're pretty much covered.

I eat a high protein, low carb diet, but I cycle it, so that some days I'll eat things like baked pumpkin or sweet potato, and other days I'm all protein/fat.

I've never been healthier!

WastingTime

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 12:02 pm
rachel91 wrote:
For me it's psychological, if I have my mind set on losing weight, I will just not give in to any temptation! lately that hasn't happened unfortunately, at least not for too long, but four years ago (after baby), I lost 37 kg in two months, d calories, not eating past 6 pm or earlier, no sweets, two meals a day but not too restricted there and excercise but also didn't go crazy. I was so weight loss oriented, that that just mattered more to me than the food.
shock
That's like 4 kilos (10 lbs) a week!!???
Is it only me who finds this either impossible or seriously wrong?

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 12:16 pm
WastingTime wrote:
shock

For someone who has a very high weight to start with it could be possible at the beginning.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 12:33 pm
I haven't read the thread, nor the original post. I've only read the title, so I'll respond to the title:

I used to eat without giving much thought. I ate based on habits learned at home, as in breakfast, lunch, dinner. The typical breakfast, lunch, dinner. My mother never served pasta or bread, and we only had white bread - challah - on Shabbos. She never served potato either. She served wholesome foods, and if I was overweight it was because I used to go to the pizza shop with my friends and I'd have pizza and ice cream regularly.

When I got married my dh was into pasta and bread on a daily basis. I cooked these foods special for him and I ate along as well. The weight began to creep up. Pregnancy was an excuse to eat more. I know.

DH was having danishes and goodies whenever he felt like it, and that made it easier for me to do the same.
When I was unhappy in my marriage I treated myself to kokosh cake and babka and cheese danishes. (Tiferes in Willy has the yummiest babka I have found).
DH liked to buy pint and gallon ice cream and I learned a new habit of eating ice cream to soothe myself.

One time, and I'll never forget it, it was night time and I was home alone with the sleeping babies, and I sat down at the table with a gallon of ice cream. I needed soothing.

I ate and ate and ate, until I hit the bottom of the container.

Then the epiphany happened: I said, ''no more. This ice cream is doing nothing to solve my problem. This act of having yummy soothing ice cream in my mouth and down my throat is not helping me.'' And from that moment on, I let myself be guided by an inner sense of hunger, rather than an external need to soothe myself via food.

I wish I could explain more, but I have no way to explain this sudden change in me. It's like something ''clicked'' inside, on an nonverbal level.

The next day I called a woman I trusted and asked her if she knows who I can talk to about my marriage troubles. I began therapy shortly after. Somehow, relieving my stress by talk therapy dissolved my need to soothe through eating.

I don't know if you have marriage stress, or children stress, and if your eating is emotional eating, so not sure my reply will even help you. But if it does, please let me know.

Wishing you hatzlacha!

marina

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 3:23 pm
amother wrote:
I hear. I guess I'm just thinking my kids don't eat salmon, grilled chicken just once in a while....

In any case I just did an online calculator which told me that on a keto diet, for my weight I should be eating 55 g. of protein per day.

A chicken breast is supposedly 43 g. So right there, just in supper alone, that would've been most of my protein for the day. After cutting out carbs and fruit, idk, this doesn't seem like enough food!

I'd also eat an egg or two for breakfast, a half piece of salmon or 1-2 pieces of cheese with vegetables for lunch, and then supper, but this would seem to put me way above the max protein threshold.

Am I calculating this wrong?

I have never done that macro calculator thing, ever. And I wouldn't worry about that esp in the beginning. Even now I just eat whatever I want as long as it is less than 20-30 carbs a day. All the eggs, fish, cheese, chicken. I have zero idea how many protein grams in chicken. Lost 50+ lbs over 9 months Smile sometimes I also try to eat less food for dinner than for lunch, but it doesn't always work with my schedule. Also no exercise I hate that.

sequoia

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 3:25 pm
You lost 50+ pounds?!

marina

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 3:37 pm
yes. Also I eat berries sometimes, like blueberries and raspberries, so don't worry Smile

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 3:37 pm
marina wrote:
I have never done that macro calculator thing, ever. And I wouldn't worry about that esp in the beginning. Even now I just eat whatever I want as long as it is less than 20-30 carbs a day. All the eggs, fish, cheese, chicken. I have zero idea how many protein grams in chicken. Lost 50+ lbs over 9 months Smile sometimes I also try to eat less food for dinner than for lunch, but it doesn't always work with my schedule. Also no exercise I hate that.

Wow that's amazing weight loss!! So basically you're not counting proteins at all, just carbs. That's definitely do-able. I am giving this some serious thought, because my weight loss hit a frustrating plateau.

Thanks for the info!

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 3:38 pm
marina wrote:
yes. Also I eat berries sometimes, like blueberries and raspberries, so don't worry Smile

Lol. What about bananas? I have one a day and it's heaven Very Happy

marina

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 3:50 pm
amother wrote:
Wow that's amazing weight loss!! So basically you're not counting proteins at all, just carbs. That's definitely do-able. I am giving this some serious thought, because my weight loss hit a frustrating plateau.

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I mean some pple plateau eventually on keto and then they can do stuff like cut out cheese or eat before 6 pm or whatever, but that's far in the future.

marina

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 3:51 pm
amother wrote:
Lol. What about bananas? I have one a day and it's heaven Very Happy

No Sad no bananas.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 4:00 pm
cnc wrote:
There are at least three or four kinds/ grades of salmon that are non- organic. It depends where they're raised and what they're fed. The color of the fish can tell you a lot about the grade. ( I've seen salmon ranging from a deep pink to white with just a pinkish tingish.) It is not necessarily that the cheapest salmon is unhealthy- it just doesn't have a lot of flavor so caterers soak in in "junk " (sugar, marinades, sauces) to give it flavor. Expensive top quality fish (and other foods) have enough flavor on their own usually.

I buy cheap salmon all the time and it is delicious, cooked on its own with maybe a bit of salt and pepper. It tastes much better cooked from fresh, not frozen. And eaten straight after cooking.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 6:49 pm
WastingTime wrote:
shock

I agree, under normal circumstances, but she said it was after a baby, so that makes more sense. Just the baby/placenta/sack and water is at least half of that.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 6:51 pm
It is absolutely possible to lose weight long term without cutting carbs as drastically as Marina (and others).

etky

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 10:24 pm
amother wrote:
It is absolutely possible to lose weight long term without cutting carbs as drastically as Marina (and others).

Indeed - like counting WW points.
Been doing it consistently for almost 14 years and don't contemplate ever giving it up.
It works very well for me -gives me control but also tremendous flexibility.
Have never really given a thought to how many carbs I eat vs. protein and fat though I do try to eat 'good carbs' like whole grains, whole wheat bread, legumes etc.
I do remember though that while losing the weight and attending the group sessions, the instructors did tell those women who were having a hard time losing to limit their carbs to curb insulin resistance.
I guess I was lucky that I didn't have that issue and was able to lose the weight and maintain the loss w/o doing that.
I think the idea is to find what works for you - both on the physical and, no less importantly, the psychological level. The latter is especially crucial to long-term maintenance.

max

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 2:09 pm
Weight watchers points system is awesome all fruit and non starchy veggies are consume as desired and not counted you count points for every thing else according to your weight you will receive the appropriate points to spend daily lost ten pounds in five weeks with a reasonable daily walk to work. You are never hungry cause there is always fruit and veggies even if you ate your points it is reasonable not a single food is forbidden so Shabbos and yom tov can be planned for. At the end of the day you have to love yourself and do it only for you not for your husband or child's or parents approval or because of hurtful remarks you can stay focused for better health I wish you Hatzlacha Rabba what ever you choose if it is not healthy or sustainable long term it won't last.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 2:09 pm
I lost 60 pounds in 4 months. It's stayed off for 4 years now.
I can't tolerate the thought of eating protein - I hate protein. So I did a low calorie diet and that worked. I ate fruit - but counted the calories.
I think that the best type of diet for you is a diet that makes sense to you and your lifestyle.
For lots of people counting calories is depressing.
For me, eating protein is depressing.
I also need the control of counting calories. I wouldn't eat food if I didn't know the calories. This control really helped me diet.
Each to their own. ..

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 2:28 pm
what types of food are high in fiber?
what is fiber?

ty
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise