Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/O for those of you that don’t eat fleishig during the week
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 10:42 pm
How are you not noshing the whole night? How are your husbands full from what? Eggs? Beans? Chummus? Falafel? How are your teenage boys not fressing all night??? I’m genuinely curious because days I serve milchig a or fish I find my family joshes the rest of the night. We are thin ppl but we just don’t get full from bowl of pasta. Sure, we’re full for an hr or two but it’s not filling for the rest of the night. I get that meat and chicken are not cheap but how much is it costing you when they around g the bread, pretzels, crackers.. and are they resentful they aren’t having fleish? Do you honestly think deep down in your heart what your doing is ok? Instead of receiving some cheeses food boxes - if you’re able to get them. Again, I don’t want to be harsh. I genuinely want to hear your thought process and maybe I’ll pick up a thing or two from you that I haven’t thought of.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 10:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
How are you not noshing the whole night? How are your husbands full from what? Eggs? Beans? Chummus? Falafel? How are your teenage boys not fressing all night??? I’m genuinely curious because days I serve milchig a or fish I find my family joshes the rest of the night. We are thin ppl but we just don’t get full from bowl of pasta. Sure, we’re full for an hr or two but it’s not filling for the rest of the night. I get that meat and chicken are not cheap but how much is it costing you when they around g the bread, pretzels, crackers.. and are they resentful they aren’t having fleish? Do you honestly think deep down in your heart what your doing is ok? Instead of receiving some cheeses food boxes - if you’re able to get them. Again, I don’t want to be harsh. I genuinely want to hear your thought process and maybe I’ll pick up a thing or two from you that I haven’t thought of.

I don’t have teens but I don’t see a difference in how hungry my DH is after dinner of milchigs vs fleishig. No matter what dinner I have I am full the rest of the night. And I eat dinner around 6 🤷‍♀️

How is milchigs not filling?

Why did I get 2 hugs??

amother
Burntblack

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 10:45 pm
Let me guess: You eat low fat cheese.

sequoia

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 10:54 pm
Genuine question: have you ever met a vegan/vegetarian/pescatarian?

There are so many people who never eat meat or chicken, for whatever reason, so why is the thought of not eating it every single day so shocking?

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:04 pm
I can't understand why salmon is inferior to chicken when it comes to feeling full?

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:08 pm
OP, I see that too in a dinner that's just heavy carb, but when there is some protein AND generous healthy fats added, it has staying power. Add a small salad loaded with avocado, a bit of olive oil and some seeds (hemp, sunflower, whatever you like) to your meal and see if it helps.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:08 pm
What else are you serving with your non meat dinners?

Sometimes I'm hungry after dinner especially if I eat on the earlier than late side, and I'll have a light snack but I'm not usually snacking all night.

What do you serve with pasta or salmon? Are you serving salads or veggies? How much salmon are you serving vs how much chicken or meat?

amother
Ebony

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:15 pm
Add potatoes or rice, soup, salad or cooked vegetables to a fish meal and I don't see how it's less filling than chicken.
For pasta meals, add a small serving of fish (doesn't need to be salmon if you are trying to be economical, could be a tuna salad or such), soup and vegetables, and it's also a filling meal.
Also, if you wash on bread, that helps fill you up, too. Eat some fruit for dessert or a bit later as a snack.

amother
Yolk

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:16 pm
I have parve/milchig 2-3x a week
I serve hearty soups along with sourdough bread, soup topped with cheese sometimes.
Vegetarian chili topped with salsa and avocado
Vegetarian jambalaya
Falafel, pita and salad
Eggs on toast with avocado and ricotta
Lasagna with vegetables and/or beyond beef
Baked ziti
Homemade pizza and fries
Potato broccoli and cheese
Stir-fry tempeh and vegetables over rice
Black bean burgers with toppings

We do beans (clearly) but no fish. I can't stand it.

coloredleaves

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:17 pm
I find milk meals to be more expensive than meat unless it's pasta and cheese which is not really healthy. Salmon for example is more than chicken a lb. And cheeses are Woxensive .

lamplighter

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:18 pm
I am always hungry half hour-1 hr after eating a salmon supper. With chicken or meat, I don't notice that at all.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:19 pm
amother Daisy wrote:
I can't understand why salmon is inferior to chicken when it comes to feeling full?

People who don’t eat chicken during the week to save money aren’t serving salmon instead! Salmon is much more expensive than chicken

amother
Peru

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:24 pm
amother Daisy wrote:

People who are trying to save money are not eating salmon.

amother
Ebony

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:25 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
People who don’t eat chicken during the week to save money aren’t serving salmon instead! Salmon is much more expensive than chicken

There are other kinds of fish besides salmon!
Again I think it has a lot to do with the sides people eat. Baked potatoes, for example, can be very filling (especially with toppings). I don't specifically find that chicken fills me up more than fish. I have to eat just as much sides with chicken to feel full as I do with fish.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:25 pm
lamplighter wrote:
I am always hungry half hour-1 hr after eating a salmon supper. With chicken or meat, I don't notice that at all.

I find that too and I make the same sides for both… I always assumed that’s a universal thing (in a multi course dinner, fish is often served as part of the appetizers.)

amother
Yolk

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:27 pm
Also I just can't resist commenting about this "men and teen boys need meat" narrative.

I don't buy it. I think it's a completely social thing that's reinforced within families/among friends and posts like this thread.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:50 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
Also I just can't resist commenting about this "men and teen boys need meat" narrative.

I don't buy it. I think it's a completely social thing that's reinforced within families/among friends and posts like this thread.

Men have higher protein requirements than women

amother
Peru

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:53 pm
amother Ebony wrote:
There are other kinds of fish besides salmon!
Again I think it has a lot to do with the sides people eat. Baked potatoes, for example, can be very filling (especially with toppings). I don't specifically find that chicken fills me up more than fish. I have to eat just as much sides with chicken to feel full as I do with fish.

"I like pistachio ice cream. Therefore everyone likes pistachio ice cream."

What is wrong with this sentence?

amother
Yolk

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 12:02 am
amother Lightyellow wrote:
Men have higher protein requirements than women

Ok and there are other sources of protein besides meat and chicken.

amother
Glitter

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 12:04 am
amother Tangerine wrote:
I find that too and I make the same sides for both… I always assumed that’s a universal thing (in a multi course dinner, fish is often served as part of the appetizers.)

Is this a thing in non-Jewish circles or is this because we want to have fish before meat for halachic reasons?
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics