Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Defrosting Potato Kugel on Shabbos?

queenert

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 12:20 pm
Read a bunch of posts here about reheating frozen potato kugel, and they all say to stick it frozen into the oven for an hour.
What about if I want it for Shabbat day?
Do I stick it in the oven frozen on Friday for an hour, then reheat on the plata for the seudah?
Or do I stick it on the plata frozen on Shabbat day?
Thanks!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 12:28 pm
queenert wrote:
Read a bunch of posts here about reheating frozen potato kugel, and they all say to stick it frozen into the oven for an hour.
What about if I want it for Shabbat day?
Do I stick it in the oven frozen on Friday for an hour, then reheat on the plata for the seudah?
Or do I stick it on the plata frozen on Shabbat day?
Thanks!

The bolded. There are two issues, quality and halacha. As far as quality, the plata will not be hot enough to reheat the frozen kugel well. Halachically, there's a real possibility that there will be liquid on the frozen kugel which could post a problem. Perhaps not, but the quality issue definitely is major and I'd reheat erev Shabbos first.

queenert

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 1:35 pm
Ok, thanks!
(In terms of halacha, we hold like R' Ovadia who says some liquid is okay. According to him, pure liquid, like soup is a problem, but saucy chicken or things like that are ok to put directly on the plata.)

WastingTime

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 1:39 pm
I don't think its a halachic problem for ashkenazim either. But in any case, yes you need to do it straight from freezer to oven on erev shabbos, then reheat shabbos day.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 1:43 pm
queenert wrote:
Ok, thanks!
(In terms of halacha, we hold like R' Ovadia who says some liquid is okay. According to him, pure liquid, like soup is a problem, but saucy chicken or things like that are ok to put directly on the plata.)

Good to know. The quality issue is such that you're better off reheating anyway. Possibly other kugels, like noodles, might work well say defrosting overnight in the fridge and putting on the plata Shabbos morning, but definitely not potatoes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes