Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is there any point in getting this degree?

amother
Green

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 5:14 pm
About a year ago I got a new job teaching a specialty subject in a high school. I'm not a qualified teacher but regardless, I got the job. I work 2 days a week but being that this is the first time the subject is being taught in the school, there is no curriculum written up so everything is being done from scratch.

I recently found out that the school aims to get all unqualified teachers to qualified status sooner rather than later. However, to begin working towards that, you first need an undergraduate degree. I have always wanted to get a degree but for whatever reason, studied other things and didn't get one.

I'm now over 30 with a few kids k'h. A degree will take up to 6 years doing it part time. Where I live, student loans only need to be paid back after you're earning a certain amount and even with a pay rise once I'm qualified, I'd need to work many more hours than I currently am in order to reach the threshold. This is a reason DH is considering going ahead since I probably wouldn't end up paying much back anyway. But if that's the case, what's the point of doing it then? I'm not sure what to do.

There is also the issue of fitting in time to study on my days off when I'm anyway still unofficially working (planning lessons etc). Admittedly my youngest is a few months old so I obviously have less available time now than I will in a couple more years and maybe I will want to end up working more hours eventually... I'm just thinking about the amount of time and stress I'll be putting myself under for something I'll possibly only gain minimally from. What do you think?

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 5:30 pm
Do it only if you want that particular degree, not to keep your current job.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 5:31 pm
perhaps you can find an accredited online degree. I've found those offer more flexibility. (I'm 44 and about 2 years in to a BS that will take me about 4.5 years at the rate I'm going).

cm

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 5:35 pm
What does it mean that the school wants the teachers to be qualified "sooner rather than later?" Do you have a time limit to become qualified? Will you be replaced if you don't start the process?

If you don't keep your current job forever, are you employable doing what you want to do without a college degree?

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 5:38 pm
amother wrote:
perhaps you can find an accredited online degree. I've found those offer more flexibility. (I'm 44 and about 2 years in to a BS that will take me about 4.5 years at the rate I'm going).

This. There are accelerated online programs catering to working adults that have reasonable workloads.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 5:38 pm
Good for you for getting a teaching position in highschool without a degree!

what kind of work could you get if the school decides to replace you with someone who has a Masters degree. Will it pay as well?

If you are teaching something very specialized - could you work in that area directly (and not teach it?)

That's what I'd consider.

(ETA cross posted with cm!)

amother
Green

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 6:21 pm
By online degree do you mean something like open university? That's what I've been looking at so timelines are based on that.

Do I want to stay in this job...good question. I think I enjoy teaching but you need a thick skin to put up with some of the students. It's been a blow to my pride I must admit... working on that!

So yes, you're right I need to ensure that whatever I study now should help me for anything I might want to do down the line if this job doesn't stick around. I really need to clarify what the schools position is on this. I wasn't made to believe that it was a condition of them taking me on.

Open university have something called an open degree where I believe you choose courses to the value of an undergraduate degree.. anyone have any experience with this?

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 6:23 pm
amother wrote:
By online degree do you mean something like open university? That's what I've been looking at so timelines are based on that.

Do I want to stay in this job...good question. I think I enjoy teaching but you need a thick skin to put up with some of the students. It's been a blow to my pride I must admit... working on that!

So yes, you're right I need to ensure that whatever I study now should help me for anything I might want to do down the line if this job doesn't stick around. I really need to clarify what the schools position is on this. I wasn't made to believe that it was a condition of them taking me on.

Open university have something called an open degree where I believe you choose courses to the value of an undergraduate degree.. anyone have any experience with this?

never heard of open university so I can't comment on it

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 6:30 pm
Is this a school your kids will attend?
Do they give a discount to the teachers?
For me, at least, is what makes teaching worth it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics