Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
LL Bean backpacks

miami85

Post Fri, Jul 21 2017, 2:34 pm
I'm considering ordering backpacks for my kids for school this year. I have one child going into 1st and one going into pre1-a. So for the 1st grader I want to get the "Original book Pack", but I'm trying to decide whether to get the Jr or Original for the pre1a-er. On the one hand I want it to last for a couple of years, but is the Original one "over kill for pre1a" or is the Jr too small for 1st-2nd grade. Or does keeping the same backpack for pre1a-1st grade make it less special (My older son's backpack broke mid-year and we just didn't bother replacing it, but we probably should have)

mha3484

Post Fri, Jul 21 2017, 2:46 pm
I have a different brand but I bought for both my boys (starting playgroup and starting 1st grade the youth size not a preschool size.) My older one is starting his 3rd year with it and its in great shape. I am happy I did not waste money on a smaller model that I would have to replace more quickly. I have boys who don't really care much about what their backpack looks like.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jul 21 2017, 2:48 pm
Also for my younger child I used his backpack for all his camp things so having the bigger size was really helpful.

singleagain

Post Fri, Jul 21 2017, 5:12 pm
Amazing thing with LL Bean is that they will replace your broken backpack even if it's been a few years. We just this year sent them a bag from I want to say about 5-10 years old. And they exchanged it. If it cost anything it was shipping.

Jalapeño

Post Sat, Jul 22 2017, 6:46 pm
singleagain wrote:
Amazing thing with LL Bean is that they will replace your broken backpack even if it's been a few years. We just this year sent them a bag from I want to say about 5-10 years old. And they exchanged it. If it cost anything it was shipping.

Doesn't answer OPs question (sorry!) but yes! I've had an LL Bean backpack for over 20 years as they replace them for life--they're great

miami85

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 1:09 am
Jalapeño wrote:
Doesn't answer OPs question (sorry!) but yes! I've had an LL Bean backpack for over 20 years as they replace them for life--they're great

I know that they are great backpacks--I had one myself in high school. On the one hand it was nice choosing out a fresh one for the new school year, but I finally got into a situation in high school when my backpack broke mid-year (this was pre-Amazon days) and finding one in a local store that wasn't military grade/super expensive was a tall-task. Even WITH Amazon now, there' no guarantee you'll get it same-day b/c need it for school the next day.

The thing I'm not sure about is my elder son is starting 1st grade--so want him to be excited about school--and his school is taking care of school supplies and he doesn't have a uniform, so about all that's left is backpack. He told me that he wants a certain character, but LL Bean doesn't have that, only solid color and one or 2 boyish prints. knowing that this will be his backpack for the foreseeable future, is it worth it?

Also for my younger son who's middle-name is "me-too", he needs a backpack b/c his also fell apart, but do I get the Jr or the Original?

DrMom

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 1:23 am
miami85 wrote:
I know that they are great backpacks--I had one myself in high school. On the one hand it was nice choosing out a fresh one for the new school year, but I finally got into a situation in high school when my backpack broke mid-year (this was pre-Amazon days) and finding one in a local store that wasn't military grade/super expensive was a tall-task. Even WITH Amazon now, there' no guarantee you'll get it same-day b/c need it for school the next day.

The thing I'm not sure about is my elder son is starting 1st grade--so want him to be excited about school--and his school is taking care of school supplies and he doesn't have a uniform, so about all that's left is backpack. He told me that he wants a certain character, but LL Bean doesn't have that, only solid color and one or 2 boyish prints. knowing that this will be his backpack for the foreseeable future, is it worth it?

Also for my younger son who's middle-name is "me-too", he needs a backpack b/c his also fell apart, but do I get the Jr or the Original?

If you want to buy him a backpack with a character, don't plan on this backpack serving him for life - or even the next 3 years. Kids' tastes change. What is a cool character in 1st grade may be seen as childish and dorky in 3rd grade.

Either:
1. Invest in a sturdy but neutral-looking backpack (with some character pencil case, if you want ), or
2. Buy a character backpack that you know you might retire in a year or two (even if it is completely serviceable).

Personally, I'd go with option #1.

miami85

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 1:30 am
DrMom wrote:
If you want to buy him a backpack with a character, don't plan on this backpack serving him for life - or even the next 3 years. Kids' tastes change. What is a cool character in 1st grade may be seen as childish and dorky in 3rd grade.

Either:
1. Invest in a sturdy but neutral-looking backpack (with some character pencil case, if you want ), or
2. Buy a character backpack that you know you might retire in a year or two (even if it is completely serviceable).

Personally, I'd go with option #1.

I like the pencil case idea. and I think he'll buy into the LL Bean backpack (vs the character)b/c he knows that his other one broke.

So now the question is for my younger son, do I get the JR one or the Original.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 4:39 am
miami85 wrote:
I like the pencil case idea. and I think he'll buy into the LL Bean backpack (vs the character)b/c he knows that his other one broke.

So now the question is for my younger son, do I get the JR one or the Original.

I guess it depends on how big he is now, and how likely he is to outgrow it, if you have any other children in the pipeline to whom it can be passed down, and how much more $ it is than the alternatives.

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 5:35 am
As a child, part of the thrill of the new year was having fresh things. We never wanted to use the same backpack - it had been shlepped all pver the place, doodled on, spilled on... I spend up to £10 on a new school bag each year for my kids, usually less, and don't care if it doesnt last for years. Tastes change, styles change, requirements change...
When I went to sem my grandparents bought me a present of an LL Bean backpack which I shlepped around Israel that year and have since taken around the world, used as handluggage when flying with a bunch of kids, as a backpack when taking them on day trips, etc. It's been thoroughly used and abused for the last 16 years and still in almost perfect condition. I think they paid around $50 for it, definitely a worthwhile investment but I'd save that for after school years.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 7:39 am
I *davka* don't buy new backpacks unless the old backpack is not in serviceable condition or is unusable for some other reason (too small, etc.).

I like to teach my kids to take care of their belongings, and not get used to the idea of me buying new things "just because."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children