Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much to charge for Shabbos rental Lakewood?

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 1:06 pm
We have a two bedroom basement apartment in Whispering Pines (Lakewood) that we need to rent out. (Please, let's not discuss the ramifications on this thread. If you have an issue, start your own!)

The neighborhood does not seem all that popular for young couples to rent, but we think that many people would pay for extra space for Shabbos guests.

I called the agency that does that type of thing, but they only do "very new, up to date" so they're not interested in our place.

We're wondering if maybe we should do it ourselves but we'd need to have an idea what we could charge. Anybody know what people charge or what you'd be willing to pay?

Of course we need a couple of hours of cleaning after each guest, changing linens etc so that has to be factored in. Also there's the cost of heat/A/C which would vary by season.

Any advice much appreciated.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 1:12 pm
Is this in Lakewood? If so, specify.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 1:14 pm
If you are talking about the development in Lakewood, it seems to me like neighbors are happy to let their neighbor's use their extra space at no charge. Why would anyone pay when they can get it for free?

I see quite a few young couples renting there.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 1:24 pm
(Sorry I didn't specify Lakewood. When I say Whispering Pines I assumed ppl from Lkwd would know what I meant.)

It's true neighbors will offer extra space, but some people want more privacy and are willing to pay for it. There's a company called Shabbos Hosts that rents houses and apartments all around Lakewood, as mentioned above.

There are young couples there now, but we got maybe 2 phone calls so far in about 3 weeks. There are bigger and newer places to rent so ours is not so popular for a regular rental.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 1:35 pm
How many people are in The Whispering Pines area for Shabbos that you feel you will have constant Shabbos renters? Particularly when as mentioned above people can find a place to stay. It is only a question of how much more will they pay for a private place. Are you sure it is Whispering Pines per se that young couples don't want to live in or is it the general over glut of basements on the Lakewood market?

We had a vacant basement for about six months. After we reduced the rent to $750 for a three bedroom basement we found tenants right away. This was in December. Perhaps the market changed since then.

mha3484

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 1:36 pm
Someone in my town does this via airbnb.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 2:13 pm
Don't ask... we were getting about $600 for years because it was empty for so long and then we were too nice to raise them ... now we were hoping for at least $750 but someone asked if we'd rent for $500!

Yes, in general there is a glut but what's most popular will go, which close to yeshiva or very nice, large & new. Or cheap, I guess.

Someone told me people were renting basements for playgroups but that's probably too late to do now. Or temporary furnished maybe, e.g. chosson & kallah, but that's a lot to deal with too. (I begged DH to sell and be done with this headache...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics