Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
HELP me give my baby bottles!

working hard

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 12:07 pm
Please give me your bottle feeding tips. I have nursed my kids until now and do not want to stop. I do not have a choice.
Obviously, I know how to make a bottle. I am asking for all those tricks and tips that you learn from doing it.
I WISH I COULD FEED MY BABY! Sorry for screaming at you but I had to say it and it is better here than in real life.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 1:44 pm
I'm sorry are you asking how to get your baby to take a bottle because he/she is refusing (prefers the breast)?

working hard

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 1:51 pm
I did not even get to that point yet. I have not yet started the bottles even though I really should have. I am in denial.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 3:14 pm
Look on YouTube how to make bottles for your baby. Your baby needs to eat. Best fed than hungry!!!!

pesek zman

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 3:23 pm
There's nothing to it. The most important thing is getting the 'recipe' for the formula correctly. Make sure to follow the package directions unless your doctor tells you otherwise. Pick a bottle. I liked Playtex Nurser since there are bottle liners and you don't have to wash bottles (just nipples) You're all set

Please let me know if you have more specific questions

working hard

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 3:44 pm
I guess I am just having a hard time accepting reality. and no my baby is not hungry. It is not a problem for the baby. It is a problem for me.
I also want to know tips and tricks like what people do to have bottles ready at night or washing or types of bottles. I am not sure exactly. It is so new to me. (and I have 5 kids!).

CEF

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 5:13 pm
OK I bought four bottles. 'Dr Brown' as they reduce colic/swallowing air during feeds.
My kids both needed warm milk (warmer than room temperature). So for each bottle I needed access to hot water.

My recommendations are not what doctors would say but I've never had a problem feeding my kids this way:

-buy a large pitcher that will hold 24hrs worth of cooled boiled water. Change water once a day.

-buy 2 formula dispensers and prepare once a day for 6 feeds. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....enser

This is the prep work.

Now, how to feed during the course of 24hrs:

-select one bottle. This bottle is designated for your WHOLE day. This bottle is kept in the fridge all day and night except when baby is feeding from it. I do not keep this bottle outside the fridge for more than 30 mins at any one time. I use this method as otherwise I'm washing up and sterilising 8 bottles every day which is very time-consuming.

- when your baby needs a feed, you boil the kettle, take your bottle out the fridge and put a small amount of boiling water into the bottle. you then add the cooled boiled water from your pitcher up to the required amount and check/adjust for the right temperature. You then add formula from one of the segments in your dispenser and feed the baby. After the feed, you must return the bottle to the fridge (empty any milk that baby didn't want).

At the end of 24hrs you start process with a new bottle and in the meantime you wash and sterilise the used bottle.

Obviously if you go out you take a fresh new bottle with which you don't reuse (unless you're going somewhere with a fridge!)

I hope that helps.

working hard

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 8:18 pm
Thank you for all the helpful advice. Anyone else?

Batyah85

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 8:28 pm
hmmm... when I do formula bottles, if I have time, I like to make a warm bottle, if not- I use lukewarm water from our pitcher- baby was happy either way, truthfully. Something that made life easier at night: I measured formula powder into 2 or 3 bottles and left them on my nightstand. When baby woke up for a feed- I just added water so I didn't have to fiddle with formula powder at night. You do have to kind of be careful with this though- I always added an extra ounce of water to any bottle I made this way since you don;t want baby to get constipated by adding too little water (usually you put in water than formula first and shake it- rather than the other way around- but other way around is easier at night so I added a little more liquid so baby bottle had enough liquid)- I hope this makes sense.

mille

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 8:43 pm
I would pre-measure water in a bottle and then have a little separate container with the appropriate amount of formula on my nightstand for middle of the night feedings. She didn't care if it was room temp. She was also old enough by the time she had any formula that no one was worried about using boiling water to make formula. It meant I didn't have to get up and make formula, nor did I have to rely on my sleepy self to measure correctly. I also did the same thing when traveling - always premeasured water and formula in the diaper bag.

Don't make formula watered down, follow the instructions exactly.

You got this - don't worry!!! Many hugs!

keym

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 8:47 pm
Many babies are ok with room temperature bottles bottled or filtered. I would fill 3 bottles with water the amount baby takes, (lets say 4 oz) and cap them. The formula dispensers were a lifesaver. I would put two scoops in each compartment.
When baby woke up I would dump one compartment in shake and feed. When baby was done I would cap dirty bottle and leave it on night table. Take care of dirty dishes in morning.
Piece of advice:
1) swirl the formula first before shaking vigorously. Shaking too hard can make clumps by the nipple and clog the nipple.
2) buy 8 oz bottles not the smaller ones. When baby starts taking more per feed youll be glad you dont have to add another expense.
3) speak to your ped about buying generic. My dr says target brand is just as good and quite a bit of savings.
4) look into savinga
5) resist the urge to prop baby. Some mothers feel that now they have "freedom" so they prop. Babies can and will thrive on formula but they need the cuddling and skin to skin.
Hatzlacha. You could pm me if you have more questions.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 8:47 pm
Pray to Hashem that your child will accept a room temperature bottle. That will make life a lot easier for you.

Keep previously boiled water on the counter. Use this to make bottles.

working hard

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 9:41 pm
Thank you for all your tips. As far as formula, I am stuck with alimentum or elecare!

keym

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 9:50 pm
working hard wrote:
Thank you for all your tips. As far as formula, I am stuck with alimentum or elecare!

Oh I had that. Thats rough. If youre not on wic, speak to your insurance. They may cover with drs letter. Take all the help you can get that stuff is expensive.
Also speak to your rav. I was told that I had to wash them in the bathroom and Icouldnt pour water straight from my pump pot or kettle. Concerns of tarfus or whatever. But my friend said her rav said all of that was unnecessary. So speak to your lor.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics