Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Should I buy my 10 yr old daughter a Kipling?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

fraimal

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 12:03 pm
Women Backpack Girls Kipled Nylon Backpacks preppy style backpack Mochila Feminina Female Travel Schoolbag Large capacity bag
http://s.aliexpress.com/UBbUVnmy
(from AliExpress Android)

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 12:27 pm
fraimal wrote:
Women Backpack Girls Kipled Nylon Backpacks preppy style backpack Mochila Feminina Female Travel Schoolbag Large capacity bag
http://s.aliexpress.com/UBbUVnmy
(from AliExpress Android)

It is not a Kipling. It is a Kipled - hardly the same thing.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 12:55 pm
Squishy wrote:

... and if the child is even in the slightest degree socially awkward, having a "fake" like that would be 1000 times worse than a Walmart bag.

OP, if you decide, there are plenty of sales. If you're in the NY/NJ area, there is an outlet at Jersey Gardens.

sim

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 1:05 pm
In my house, name-brand bags are "3-year" bags -- that means you're not getting a new one for the next three years. They can buy one with their own money, but I won't buy a new one until they've had the expensive one for 3 years. If they choose an inexpensive bag from Target, Walmart, etc, I will buy them another bag the following year. Each one of my children makes different decisions here depending on what's important to him/her.

Another thing to think about: If your daughter wants a Kipling because it's the "in" bag, check out if she's correct. She may be a bit late to the party. Where I live, the "really cool" bags are Herschels or Fjallraven Kanken, and Jansport seems to be having a bit of a rebirth. You don't want to spend the money on a Kipling and have her come home the first day all upset that it's just not quite the thing anymore.

That said: Kiplings are nice quality, and I've thrown them into the washing machine, air dried, and they look brand new for the next year. Plus the gorilla keychain is kinda cute.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 1:14 pm
thank you for all the replies!

My dd is not socially awkward but she struggles academically and is self conscious about that. She really works hard during the year.. probably harder than all of my children put together! I don't think that getting her an expensive schoolbag is going to solve her problems but at least it might be something she can be proud of in school. Now I am wondering based on all the replies if a Kipling will even be in style in her school this coming school yr . Maybe she will get a brand new one and then go to school and see that everyone has something else - like the Herschel? It's a good idea to ask her to do something to earn it ... but she is generally a good girl and does what I ask (unlike some siblings who always try to get away with things). I guess, I'll see...

I especially appreciate the responses to the fake kipling that someone posted. Since I really don't know about these things, when I clicked on it I thought that it was a good fake and was thinking that I would show it to my dd to see if she likes it. Now I know that the fake one is not the way to go...

Fox

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 2:07 pm
I saw a review of this product recently, and it came to mind in reading this discussion:
Black Calfskin & Gold-tone Metal Backpack

My first response, of course, was to try to imagine the scenario in which it would be appropriate or stylish to wear, essentially, a Chanel flap bag with backpack straps. I mean, are there women who put on evening clothes, load up their backpacks, put on their sneakers, and then hoof it over to Lincoln Center from the Upper East Side? Do they carry trail mix and water for the perilous journey through Central Park?

But then I looked at the size: it's basically the height and width of a sheet of paper. Remembering the days when I was in the backpack procurement business is a reminder that I was simultaneously in the homework compliance business. Looking back, I would have happily scrounged up the money for $3200 backpacks if it meant that the teachers couldn't assign anything that wouldn't fit in a Chanel backpack. In fact, it could be stated in the school handbook, "If it don't fit in a Chanel, get it done before the bell!"

Seriously, though, ITA with other posters on the Kipling or the au courant equivalent.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 2:18 pm
Perhaps she should use an older bag for the first week or two then get a new bag based on what is "in". She might even feel cooler, coming in later with the new bag it will give her more positive attention whereas first day of school 3/4th's of the school has new stuff.

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 2:52 pm
In my daughter's school most girls had fake Kiplings, so it looked like all the girls had a fancy back pack. OP, you may want to see if the girls have real or fake. A real Kipling among the students was very rare.

DrMom

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 4:46 pm
Squishy wrote:

Just a different conjugation.

Yesterday I Kipled.

Today I am Kipling.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 5:13 pm
DrMom wrote:

Yesterday I Kipled.

Today I am Kipling.

You clearly don't get that it may be important for this child to have a designer backpack. If it will make her feel good, why get her a fake?

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 6:10 pm
amother wrote:
You clearly don't get that it may be important for this child to have a designer backpack. If it will make her feel good, why get her a fake?

When my daughter was in elementary school, one of my neighbors, who is an elementary school principal, stopped and asked me if my daughter was using an authentic Kipling. I was a little puzzled.

She then told me that all the girls had knockoffs in her school and my daughter's school. I started noticing, and sure enough my daughter was the only one with a real Kipling.

I am only mentioning this because maybe a knockoff is good enough for a young girl.

GetReal

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 6:26 pm
DrMom wrote:

Yesterday I Kipled.

Today I am Kipling.

Thanks for making me literally lol!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 7:41 pm
This year is going to be the third year my kids are going to use their Kipling briefcase.

sunflower2

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 8:46 pm
My daughter got 1 she earn herself by doing chores around the house and she was babysit her little cousin and aunt give her few dollars.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 9:25 pm
You can get her an imitation from Aliexpress.com for under $20. Just search for kipling backpack and you'll get many great options

fraimal

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 10:01 pm
Save On These Backpacks From TJ Maxx Only $39.99 – $49.99

TJ MAXX has kiplings on sale

http://kollelbudget.com/101474/

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 10:22 pm
Sorry OT for a second. Ds is starting hs, yeshivish. What's "in" for teenage boys?

maidale

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 10:48 pm
amother wrote:
Sorry OT for a second. Ds is starting hs, yeshivish. What's "in" for teenage boys?

A hs kid should be able to tell you what's "in" in his yeshivah.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 11:55 pm
maidale wrote:
A hs kid should be able to tell you what's "in" in his yeshivah.

Maybe, but he can't. He's completely clueless. As his mother, I care though.

Fox

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 12:18 am
Please don't support the luxury brand knock-off market. This is a prime source of revenue for terrorists, organized crime, and human traffickers.

True, Kipling backpacks aren't in the same category as Hermes, Chanel, and LV when it comes to counterfeiters. The fakes may be passing themselves off as "inspired by Kipling." But even that's kind of sketchy (ahem, Michael Kors quilted bags, ahem).

If you decide a higher-end backpack would be beneficial for your DD, make a project of it. Have her at your elbow when you research the features and quality of various bags. Discuss with her which features are most important to her. Look in the secondary market for possible bargains.

A high-end bag or backpack is an investment that can elevate your whole look, and ten isn't too young to start learning that. But laying out money beyond what you would normally spend means thinking through the purchase carefully.

But I am walking proof of the restorative value of a good bag. Exactly a week ago I had a five-hour surgery under general anesthesia. Fortunately, I had the foresight to order a calfskin Tom Ford crossbody bag (on the secondary market, obviously!).

My DD literally brought it for me to wear home from the hospital, and here I am, back on Imamother and ready to argue with Marina or rant about Regents.

Now you may be saying, "Fox, I am disappointed. Surely you're more spiritual than that!" To which I answer, "Yes, indeed! Tom Ford stuff is viciously overpriced. Spend the same at Chanel and Karl Lagerfeld himself will ring up your purchase while Choupette purrs and sheds on your ankles. Finding the piece I wanted at a decent price was an open miracle! Hashem knew just what would speed my recovery!"

Hmm . . . maybe posting on Imamother and pain meds aren't a great combo. I think I wandered off the point a little.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics