Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Got an intresting letter in mail

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Aug 12 2017, 11:33 pm
I got this today. Address was handwritten.
It's Isaiah Chapter 53.
Any idea who this can be from?

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Aug 12 2017, 11:40 pm
A christian missionary.

sarahmalka

Post Sat, Aug 12 2017, 11:44 pm
That's creepy to get such a random mailing. Any christian missionaries knocking on doors in your neighborhood? I think this chapter is used by them to say that the 'messiah' will be crucified, etc. That's my guess as to the source and purpose of this letter.

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Aug 12 2017, 11:51 pm
No missionaries in my area.
How do they have my address?

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Aug 12 2017, 11:53 pm
amother wrote:
No missionaries in my area.
How do they have my address?

who knows, and it came in the mail? It could have been mailed from anywhere.

Its definitely christian - and someone trying to make a point.

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Aug 12 2017, 11:55 pm
amother wrote:
who knows, and it came in the mail? It could have been mailed from anywhere.

Its definitely christian - and someone trying to make a point.

That's scary. What would the point be? How did they get my address.
Is this worth a panic attack?

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Aug 12 2017, 11:58 pm
amother wrote:
That's scary. What would the point be? How did they get my address.
Is this worth a panic attack?

I didn't mean it like scary point. Just a point that 'your scripture' points towards their 'guy'.

Just throw it out - and forget about it.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 12:00 am
amother wrote:
I didn't mean it like scary point. Just a point that 'your scripture' points towards their 'guy'.

Just throw it out - and forget about it.

Lol
Ok. So no panic attack....
Thanks

Still curious how they got my address.

sarahmalka

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 12:01 am
NO it's not worth a panic attack! They may troll neighborhoods looking for mezuzot and send letters to those houses. They could look in the phone book for Jewish names. Seriously, just let it go. All they want is to save your soul, honey, nothing too scary. I'm sure it's not personal. Having personally been told by several Bible-thumpers who were my friends, mind you, that they were so sad I was going to hell b/c I didn't accept the lord JC you-know-who into my heart, well, I just learned to shrug it off.

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 12:17 am
Some hey-sis freak They have access to a phone book like anyone else and can target Jewish sounding names like anyone else. They don't have to live near you, but FTR, how do you know there are none in your area? They don't all stand on street corners preaching. Some of them do nothing but send out letters.

I could tell it was a missionary --probably a lone wolf type, not an organization--without even reading the letter. A Jew wouldn't use the term "Hebrew scriptures".

My bet is that your whole neighborhood has received this letter. give it the response it deserves: IOW, ignore it.

We get a letter like this once every few years. Who cares? A letter like this to a frum household is just junk mail.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 12:45 am
zaq wrote:
Some hey-sis freak They have access to a phone book like anyone else and can target Jewish sounding names like anyone else. They don't have to live near you, but FTR, how do you know there are none in your area? They don't all stand on street corners preaching. Some of them do nothing but send out letters.

I could tell it was a missionary --probably a lone wolf type, not an organization--without even reading the letter. A Jew wouldn't use the term "Hebrew scriptures".

My bet is that your whole neighborhood has received this letter. give it the response it deserves: IOW, ignore it.

We get a letter like this once every few years. Who cares? A letter like this to a frum household is just junk mail.

Bolded makes sense. There's no return address. The post stamp is too light I can't make out from which city it was sent.

Big deal. I don't know why I was scared.
I took out my own sefer here and read chapter 53. It's full of good things. I must not know thier intentions. For myself it was a good thing to read it right now. It's nice.

By the way, I also found a thousand dollar check in the mail today. Smile
It is from someone who felt he mistreated me.
Some days are just more colorful than others.

cbsp

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 7:58 pm
You can check here
https://outreachjudaism.org

For information on how the missionaries have twisted the words of Yeshaya Hanavi

I did a search on the site and got these results:
https://outreachjudaism.org/?s=Isaiah+53

Rabbi Singer also has on the site videos /audios of shows where he discusses it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics