Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Female picture in the main mishpacha magazine this week
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 9:51 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Seriously? A picture of a rebbetzin as a little girl would be better than a picture of her husband? I really dont think so. I think its the same if not worse. If they dont want to put a picture of any females, then put something else, a flower, a shul, but not the person in quesiton when she was little. It demeans the person who they are talking about as they are at present (even if not alive)

See I find it most offensive to only include pics of a dh and sons in an article about a women because that represents that the only worthwhile accomplishment a woman can make in this world is producing male children and marrying well.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 9:52 am
dancingqueen wrote:
Just to clarify as I'm unfamiliar with this magazine, what's the difference in content between the family magazine and the women's magazine?

The main one is general article of interest- current events, history, interesting personalities...

The women's one has fiction stories geared to women, recipes, women's health, divrei Torah specifically for women...

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 9:54 am
For me, the picture helped me picture Malky, picture her pain, picture her parents' pain.
And that's what being Jewish is all about. Imo anochi betzorah.

marina

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 10:15 am
I don't understand if the OP is in favor or against of the pic. Also here's the link http://www.mishpacha.com/Brows.....Malky

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 12:49 pm
I see it again and again how women assume that the main magazine is the "men magazine" as if we women are too simple to enjoy politics, op-eds or some good features on a plethora of topics.
Whenever I write for family first I get feedback from friends but when I write for the main mishpacha - usually complex, well researched articles they say "oh that's just for the men"
A find it such a pity that women won't allow themselves to broaden their mind - of course what one reads is one's choice, but don't take the possibility away from the get go!

cnc

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 12:57 pm
amother wrote:
I see it again and again how women assume that the main magazine is the "men magazine" as if we women are too simple to enjoy politics, op-eds or some good features on a plethora of topics.
Whenever I write for family first I get feedback from friends but when I write for the main mishpacha - usually complex, well researched articles they say "oh that's just for the men"
A find it such a pity that women won't allow themselves to broaden their mind - of course what one reads is one's choice, but don't take the possibility away from the get go!

Strange. I never come across anyone (until now)that assumed that the main magazine is for men.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 1:08 pm
cnc wrote:
Strange. I never come across anyone (until now)that assumed that the main magazine is for men.

I hear it so often from various women ranging in their age and country of residence etc. They won't always come out and call it the magazine for men, but they will say "oh I never read the articles there, thats not for women, we have family first"

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 1:21 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
See I find it most offensive to only include pics of a dh and sons in an article about a women because that represents that the only worthwhile accomplishment a woman can make in this world is producing male children and marrying well.
I completely agree with you, but to put pictures only of little girls is also not good. I mean, could you imagine if there was a picture of Rebbetzin Esther Yungreis and it was her when she was 7? Something is not right. And in my opinion, the respect for the person is gone then.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 1:21 pm
amother wrote:

I agree. I happen to generally find the writing/ editing of higher quality in the main magazine, which makes for a more enjoyable read. Though I do read both magazines each week, and am very appreciative for what each has to offer.

WastingTime

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 1:52 pm
I heard first hand from a graphic artist at Mishpacha that they can print girls up to age 6. While I have never seen girls in the main mag before, the tragic death of this girl has been widely publicized so I guess they felt the need here.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 7:58 pm
amother wrote:
I hear it so often from various women ranging in their age and country of residence etc. They won't always come out and call it the magazine for men, but they will say "oh I never read the articles there, thats not for women, we have family first"

Interesting. Isn't the main editor of the Mishpacha a woman? Shoshana something (I only sporadically read the Mishpacha)...

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 8:31 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Interesting. Isn't the main editor of the Mishpacha a woman? Shoshana something (I only sporadically read the Mishpacha)...

I think R' Moshe Grylak is the editor of the main Mishpacha.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 8:52 pm
tigerwife wrote:

Yes, Shoshana Friedman

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 8:57 pm
WastingTime wrote:
I heard first hand from a graphic artist at Mishpacha that they can print girls up to age 6. While I have never seen girls in the main mag before, the tragic death of this girl has been widely publicized so I guess they felt the need here.

I wonder where they came up with 6 from?

S-HappyMama

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 1:53 am
dancingqueen wrote:
I wonder where they came up with 6 from?

I write for Family First regularly. Currently I'm writing the serial diary "Grab the Reins" about my work in Retorno as an addictions counselor and therapeutic horseback riding instructor.
As you can imagine from the topic of the serial, questions come up all the time as to what can and cannot be written in this venue. Yes, some matters are based on sensitivity - the editors don't want to hurt or offend people, which is so easy to do with the most innocent of statements. But whenever something that has a halachic aspect to it, they don't arbitrarily decide, they ask their rav.

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 7:26 am
ShoshanaSchwart wrote:
I write for Family First regularly. Currently I'm writing the serial diary "Grab the Reins" about my work in Retorno as an addictions counselor and therapeutic horseback riding instructor.
As you can imagine from the topic of the serial, questions come up all the time as to what can and cannot be written in this venue. Yes, some matters are based on sensitivity - the editors don't want to hurt or offend people, which is so easy to do with the most innocent of statements. But whenever something that has a halachic aspect to it, they don't arbitrarily decide, they ask their rav.

Ok... but there is no halacha which prohibits the showing/printing the face of a woman. We are not Arab and we dont hold by sharia law. The age of 6 WAS arbitrarily decided upon. And anyone who claims that its out of tznius is also saying that gdolei hador like the Lubavitcher Rebbe and Rabbi Kanievsky lack tznius. This is a new torah that was invented pretty recently. Its fake torah.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 9:03 am
watergirl wrote:
. The age of 6 WAS arbitrarily decided upon. .

And what made you decide that? I dont assume you attended those meetings.
I would think the age 6 was chosen because of its the age of teachings not out of tzivuy but of chinuch.
Chassidim would probably say until age of 3. others might say from 12. but the age of 6 was surely set on halachic decision.
No one forces one to read or support a particular paper. But please refrain from calling Torah and halacha abiding people as following a "fake Torah"
There are many paths in yiddishkeit. One doesnt negate the other. Let's respectfully agree to disagree without turning to disrepectful language.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 9:07 am
ShoshanaSchwart wrote:

I love your column! It's one of the best pieces the magazine has ever printed.

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 9:16 am
amother wrote:
And what made you decide that? I dont assume you attended those meetings.
I would think the age 6 was chosen because of its the age of teachings not out of tzivuy but of chinuch.
Chassidim would probably say until age of 3. others might say from 12. but the age of 6 was surely set on halachic decision.
No one forces one to read or support a particular paper. But please refrain from calling Torah and halacha abiding people as following a "fake Torah"
There are many paths in yiddishkeit. One doesnt negate the other. Let's respectfully agree to disagree without turning to disrepectful language.

Actually, I was told by a mishpacha senior staff member that this was the age that they chose. Yes, arbitrary. No, you dont have to believe me.

And yes, its fake torah. It is a very slippery sloap when someone makes a statement that this is done out of sensitivity, or as you said, torah and halacha abiding. This is NOT torah or halacha.

And as others have pointed out on this thread and on multiple others, this is not tradition or mesorah. This is an entirely new phenomenon.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 9:17 am
I beleive the policy is pictures uder a certain age, so this is NOT news as they did not break their policy. I'm not sure if it's 5, 6 or 9.....but basically.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room