Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Female picture in the main mishpacha magazine this week
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 4:18 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
It's not Halacha. You don't want to publish the pictures, don't publish them. But calling it Halacha makes a mockery of Judaism.

Yes. This. Not halacha. And apprently Rabbi Kanievsky is inappropriate.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 4:22 pm
I said most mainstream poskim-not ALL. So it's a sensitivity that we all need to strive to keep. I'm stikk confused as to eveyone's problem

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 4:25 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
I said most mainstream poskim-not ALL. So it's a sensitivity that we all need to strive to keep. I'm stikk confused as to eveyone's problem

We absolutely do not all need to strive to keep this "sensitivity ". Again, you are welcome to tell rabbi Kanievsky that he needs to keep it.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 4:34 pm
You follow your rav, if you are the minority that has a Rav the solely follows Rav Kanievskty as this matter so be it. But if the majority of poskim and sa something else your rav usually follows it as the halacha to follow the rov.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 4:38 pm
watergirl wrote:
We absolutely do not all need to strive to keep this "sensitivity ". Again, you are welcome to tell rabbi Kanievsky that he needs to keep it.

You're being ridiculous by continuously bringing up R'Chaim Kanievsky who wanted a black and white headshot of his deceased wife in an Artscroll biography as your arsenal here.

I guarantee you that he would agree wholeheartedly with the magazine's policy. Knowing some of his views, he would probably be much stricter actually.

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 4:46 pm
amother wrote:
You're being ridiculous by continuously bringing up R'Chaim Kanievsky who wanted a black and white headshot of his deceased wife in an Artscroll biography as your arsenal here.

I guarantee you that he would agree wholeheartedly with the magazine's policy. Knowing some of his views, he would probably be much stricter actually.

False.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 4:49 pm
watergirl wrote:
False.

So what are you using as your arsenal - you asked him about printing pictures of women in magazines? You can'tcompare him saying to print a picture of his deceased tzanua wife sans makeup and flouncy shaitel vs. what you expect to see in the magazines.

Because I guarantee you that he wouldn't allow it. He is actually stricter than other rabbonim in these sort of areas. Send someone to ask him and you will see. Until then, stop brandishing his name around for no reason. I'm sure you can find other less charedi rabbonim on your side, but throwing Rav Kanievsky's name around like this in every second post is pathetic.

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 4:54 pm
amother wrote:
So what are you using as your arsenal - you asked him about printing pictures of women in magazines? You can'tcompare him saying to print a picture of his deceased tzanua wife sans makeup vs. what you expect to see in the magazines.

Because I guarantee you that he wouldn't allow it. He is actually stricter than other rabbonim in these sort of areas. Send someone to ask him and you will see. Until then, stop brandishing his name around for no reason. I'm sure you can find many rabbonim on your side, but throwing Rav Kanievsky's name around like this in every second post is pathetic.

Ok. Amother. Wink

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 4:56 pm
watergirl wrote:
Ok. Amother. Wink

No problem. I'm waiting to hear your response once you have received Rav Kanievsky's clear direction on this. Until then, please stop quoting things in his name which he has never said to suit your agenda.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 5:07 pm
amother wrote:
No problem. I'm waiting to hear your response once you have received Rav Kanievsky's clear direction on this. Until then, please stop quoting things in his name which he has never said to suit your agenda.

In a nutshell-this is what I wanted to add too. I'm sorry if you don't think you need to strive to keep sensitivities, most mainstream poskim believe you need to do so, and you need to work on for real, like deep down inner work till you get there. Your spirituality is not a joke, it's to be played around with like "Ok, I'm here and I'm good". There's ALWAYS more to work towards and more sensitivites to work towards. There's no such thing as saying "that's not for me". Unless you don't follow the same gedolei hador that I do- the mainstream chareidi ones.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 5:13 pm
watergirl wrote:
Ok. Amother. Wink

And yes, I'm amother.
Because it's easier to say unpopular opinions when anonymous than using my screen name. I feel less vulnerable this way.
I usually keep out of these threads. But, it bothered me too much that his name was being brandished like that for things that he never said or would ever agree too.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 5:24 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
In a nutshell-this is what I wanted to add too. I'm sorry if you don't think you need to strive to keep sensitivities, most mainstream poskim believe you need to do so, and you need to work on for real, like deep down inner work till you get there. Your spirituality is not a joke, it's to be played around with like "Ok, I'm here and I'm good". There's ALWAYS more to work towards and more sensitivites to work towards. There's no such thing as saying "that's not for me". Unless you don't follow the same gedolei hador that I do- the mainstream chareidi ones.

Can you name
One mainstream rav that said it is assur to post pictures of girls and women? No you can't. It doesn't exist.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 5:25 pm
amother wrote:
And yes, I'm amother.
Because it's easier to say unpopular opinions when anonymous than using my screen name. I feel less vulnerable this way.
I usually keep out of these threads. But, it bothered me too much that his name was being brandished like that for things that he never said or would ever agree too.

And FTR, I post unpopular opinions under my screen name all the time. So I'm not that impressed with your explanation.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 5:27 pm
It sounds like a hashkafic psak, not a halachic psak.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 5:33 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
And FTR, I post unpopular opinions under my screen name all the time. So I'm not that impressed with your explanation.

I don't need you to be impressed with me. As I said, since I'm anonymous, that's fine with me Wink

Though I'm not sure what you're comparing to. I don't see you ever getting bashed for your views unless when people are jealous of your shopping habits, but that's no connection to this kind of attacking when people find certain views too 'extreme' for their tastes.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 5:42 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Can you name
One mainstream rav that said it is assur to post pictures of girls and women? No you can't. It doesn't exist.

According to my Rav- most mainstream rabanim based on the Chazon Ish, Chofetz Chaim, etc, etc- women shouldn't be in the public eye. Period. If you don't like the psak, get a different Rav. Yes it's hard to post this under my username but I don't care.

if you don't follow gdolei hador that's another story. Why are there so many threads lately about bashing people who are more machmir, like the fact that I'm more machmir is "unnecessary". Why are you asking me for research. I'm telling you that you can speak to any local charieidi rav the follows the majority of gedolei hador and you can have a frank chat for 3 hours over it rather than bashing someone on the internet who frankly trusts her own Rav and has other things to think about that pictures in magazines so honestly doesn't care that much about the fact that you can't understand me viewpoint.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 5:45 pm
Iymnok wrote:
It sounds like a hashkafic psak, not a halachic psak.

I agree with LovesHashem

Since when are those 2 different? A Rav can give a psak on what you should do from a hashkafic standpoint, but it's a psak- listening to the rav is dioraysa, so it boils down to the fact that if you don't listen it's an issur either way.

Not seeing the "huge" difference. I'm israeli, I hear in the USA it's not as important to respect rabanim and gedolei yisroel. Not sure if that is connected, but just throwing that out there.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 5:52 pm
amother wrote:
I agree with LovesHashem

Since when are those 2 different? A Rav can give a psak on what you should do from a hashkafic standpoint, but it's a psak- listening to the rav is dioraysa, so it boils down to the fact that if you don't listen it's an issur either way.

Not seeing the "huge" difference. I'm israeli, I hear in the USA it's not as important to respect rabanim and gedolei yisroel. Not sure if that is connected, but just throwing that out there.

It has very different weight. Just like a d'oraissa and d'rabbanab have different weights. There is way more leniency towards hashkafa. Halacha only has so much leeway.
But if the magazine asked their rabbinical advisor, they should keep to that. We asked about girls riding bikes. We were ready to follow whatever we were told. There is no Halacha that I know of involved, but in many Israeli communities girls stop riding bikes after a certain age.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 6:05 pm
Iymnok wrote:
It has very different weight. Just like a d'oraissa and d'rabbanab have different weights. There is way more leniency towards hashkafa. Halacha only has so much leeway.
But if the magazine asked their rabbinical advisor, they should keep to that. We asked about girls riding bikes. We were ready to follow whatever we were told. There is no Halacha that I know of involved, but in many Israeli communities girls stop riding bikes after a certain age.

Somewhat of a more leniency I suppose. Then again it may be the product of the israeli system. I know many people who beleieve it's 100 percent assur to ride a bike. I tried explaining that perhaps considering the chumros, and rabanim in this country I suppose it's possible pasken that it is 100 percent assur in big cities such as Jerusalem for girls over the age of 6 or 7 but you can't make big black and white statements, like what if you go on a trip? What if you are in the mountains? What if there's only girls around?

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 6:47 pm
amother wrote:
I don't need you to be impressed with me. As I said, since I'm anonymous, that's fine with me Wink

Though I'm not sure what you're comparing to. I don't see you ever getting bashed for your views unless when people are jealous of your shopping habits, but that's no connection to this kind of attacking when people find certain views too 'extreme' for their tastes.

I get bashed for my views being "to frum" all the time.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room