Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Please help figure out where to move!
1  2  Next

Beingreal

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 2:27 pm
My dh and I are thinking of moving because we can't afford the schools where we are. My Dh is working like a horse to try to make ends meet and I'm having a hard time looking for a job, or a good job that will help with Parnassa. We are an out of town type of family that wants to live in a warm community with all types of people. We are also looking for an affordable house...or an apartment. I have 3 kids. Please help me because I'm getting burned out taking care of the kids myself and my husband wants to be home more!

Batyah85

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 2:31 pm
Cincinnati or somewhere in the Midwest is generally cheaper than east of west coast...

Beingreal

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 2:44 pm
What about Florida? Anyone from there?

tichellady

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 2:46 pm
Where do you live now? What do and your husband do or want to do for a living?

doctorima

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 2:50 pm
It would help if you gave a little more guidelines about what you are or are not looking for in a community. If your only criteria is a cheaper cost of loving, off the top of my head, if you want to stay on the East coast, Baltimore and Waterbury are both worth looking into. If you're willing to move farther, look into Detroit, Cleveland, Houston (or maybe not...), and Cincinnati.

Beingreal

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 2:55 pm
We live in passaic nj. My husband does computer and customer service....

Beingreal

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 2:56 pm
We are looking for a community that is open....my husband bikes and he doesn't want to get judged by that.

Busy as a bee

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 2:58 pm
Can I ask what you are paying in tuition now?

Beingreal

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 3:19 pm
550 a month and we can't afford that...

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 3:26 pm
we'd love for you to join us in Cincinnati, my dh is also in computers and I'm a SAHM. We moved from Passaic. A very respected rebbe in town bikes so your dh will be in good company Smile

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 3:36 pm
What Hotpink said. Tuition is affordable, houses are affordable, no one will judge you at all for your husband biking (if he likes baseball, he can help the shuls as well play their sporadic Sunday games!)...seriously, very low key here.

Beingreal

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 3:48 pm
What are the prices on houses? What is the tuition? We are getting interested..how can my husband find a job?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 4:19 pm
Houses fluctuate, most are 250-350 at this point in time.

Tuition is around $10K with $4650 in vouchers from the state directly off your tuition balance, and scholarships available as well. Law right now is that the school cannot charge you more for tuition if you're at or below 200% of the FPL, but that may be subject to change. Preschool is more expensive, but if both parents are working and are low income, there are childcare vouchers available as well.

Job searching is like with anything...look online, network, etc. frumcincinnati.com can help you be in touch with someone in the community who works on helping people settle in.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 4:23 pm
my dh ended up getting a job the old fashion way like you would anywhere else. He wasn't able to find any "connections" to help him. There are plenty of tech jobs in Cincinnati but I don't think there are so many frum people in the field to have connections.

pizzaknish

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 6:35 pm
Have you looked at Jacksonville?

I think housing is in the same $250-$350 range, even some less depending what you find.
State scholarships available for tuition as well.

Warm weather, warm community. Open, welcoming, diverse. Be whoever you really are.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 6:45 pm
Beingreal wrote:
550 a month and we can't afford that...

You will not find cheaper tuition than that. You can find cheaper housing but salary will be lower as well.

tryinghard

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 7:35 pm
Rochester NY has a lot of what you are describing, plus a tuition initiative for new families. Feel free to ask me anything! www.torahrochester.com

Maryann

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 7:38 pm
pizzaknish wrote:
Have you looked at Jacksonville?

I think housing is in the same $250-$350 range, even some less depending what you find.
State scholarships available for tuition as well.

Warm weather, warm community. Open, welcoming, diverse. Be whoever you really are.

What type of community lives there?

pizzaknish

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 9:46 pm
Maryann wrote:
What type of community lives there?

There is not one "type", there are lots of individuals who make up the community!
Some are yeshivish, some are modern orthodox. Some are FFBs some are Baalei teshuva. Some are Rabbis some are professionals. Some are just beginning their religious journey. Besides the community shul, there is also a Chabad.
Kosher fleishig restaurant, cholov Yisroel yoshon pizza take out.
Day school. High school just opened this year.

One of the things that I love the most about this community is that it is ok to just be yourself. My friends are not all the same as me, not only in religious "level" or strictness, but also in age, family size, stage in life.

I also love that in an out of town community, everyone is important. Even kids are important. To the adults! They are respected members at shul, well before they can count towards the minyan. Everyone has something to offer, regardless of religious background or financial position.

Our out of town (in town?) guests who come to visit always want to move to Jacksonville after they've been here. Some actually did!

Feel free to ask questions or to PM me.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 9:59 pm
I pay 1500 a month tuition for my one kid! 550 is very reasonable
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating