Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Ergonomic desk set up options

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 3:27 pm
Lately, my neck and back have been hurting a lot. I'm looking for suggestions to help my computer/desk set up to try to make working more comfortable.

1 - I am often required to turn my screen to share the view with a client across from my desk, so the default position for my screen needs to be at the side of my desk instead of in front of my face and I just keep it angled, so I can see. Any suggestions that can still allow
A me to face clients directly while sitting at my desk
B me to easily turn my screen to show clients

2 - My desk can't have a keyboard tray attached to it, so I need to keep my keyboard and mouse on top of my desk. I do have arm-rests on my chair, so that helps a bit.

3 - Although I am right-handed, my phone needs to be on the left side of my desk because of wiring issues.

For a long time, I've just accepted that this is the set up my employer needs, but I can't deal with this constant discomfort and pain, so as long as I can achieve the same objectives, I'm willing to make suggestions to change things around, but I can't figure out what.

TIA

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 3:59 pm
OK, I'll give it a try...

1 - I am often required to turn my screen to share the view with a client across from my desk, so the default position for my screen needs to be at the side of my desk instead of in front of my face and I just keep it angled, so I can see. Any suggestions that can still allow
A me to face clients directly while sitting at my desk
B me to easily turn my screen to show clients

A second monitor?

2 - My desk can't have a keyboard tray attached to it,
Why not? What kind of desk?
so I need to keep my keyboard and mouse on top of my desk. I do have arm-rests on my chair, so that helps a bit.
A drawer can be converted into a keyboard tray (Google it)
or you could put a plank between 2 pulled out drawers if there are drawers on both sides of your desk
or if there's no drawer you could rig up something that clamps to the table

3 - Although I am right-handed, my phone needs to be on the left side of my desk because of wiring issues.
Meaning you need to hold the phone in your left hand but you would prefer the right? How about a headset?
Or could your desk be rotated 90 degrees so the wiring would be to your right?

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 4:01 pm
Is it possible to have an L-shaped desk or to put a table next to your desk that would create an L shape? Then the computer coudl be on the side. You could pivot your chair so that you are either facing the side where the computer is, or you are facing out towards your client.
And what about two screens? One screen that faces you, and a separate screen that faces the client or that you can turn to face the client when necessary, but that's not your main screen that stays front and center.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 9:19 am
Thank you. I was thinking that the need to have my screen turned isn't actually the problem, rather that because I am required to be able to speak with clients at my desk (with no screen in front of my face) I need to have my screen tilted to the side which requires me to crane my neck. There isn't room for an L desk, but I should look to see if I can get more creative with my space in that way- maybe I can turn it 90degrees like RD mentioned...

Regarding the keyboard tray - It is a metal desk (think old fashioned teacher's desk)no drawer, but I guess clamping a shelf could work and that would help a bit.

The phone is probably the last piece of the puzzle, and if I figure out a better solution to the desk, that will probably be resolved.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics