Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What do they need to know?

baby12x

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 10:54 am
This was partially inspired by imamother so I figured I would come here to ask for advice.
I just started a blog giving financial advice. I am mainly speaking to young, just graduated girls. When I write I picture myself talking to a girl who just came home from seminary and is starting her first job. Obviously, I hope many others can gain from this as well.

So.. what did you wish you knew when you were just starting out? what topics do you wish were discussed?
If you have a child, what do you wish they would know about finances in this stage of life?

(Here is a link to the blog: www.adimesaved.com)

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 11:37 am
just took a look. It looks really good! I'm happy to see that you talk about compounding interest. It's really incredible how just a little bit of money put away early enough can really become a significant amount.

There's one small typographical error- in intermediate savings you accidentally wrote out instead of put- happens to all of us Wink
Hatzlacha with the blog!

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 11:46 am
Just finished grad school. I have 40 k in student loans, and 40k in mutual funds. Do I dump out all my savings and pay off the loan, or Do I pay it off slowly. It's a standard government loan, interest is high. If I choose the slow option, it'll take me about 2 years. Also, if I choose slow option, Do I change the loan so that I have lower interest rate?

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 11:53 am
When I was single and living at home I put away half of everything I earned (into savings) and spent the other half. I also maxed out my 401(k) from work. Both of these things came in handy! I also used a debit card instead of a credit card so that I wouldn't go into debt.

Things that didn't work for me - in my first year of work I invested $5000 in a stock tip from my father's friend - it was a penny stock (a tech penny stock in 1999 ... these were all the rage) and I lost all of it - around 8 years later I got back $300 from the initial investment and that was all! (Meaning the $5000 was all lost). So no more stock tip investing!

Also I put my 401(k) mainly in the S&P 500 Index Fund and that has done really well for me B"H.

I also always bought my cars instead of leasing - that has worked very well for me considering that my 2001 Camry (bought in 2005) is still being driven every day! However I am just not into nice cars - I imagine that someone who is single and loves "nice things" might prefer to lease.

I also separated maaser and made 2 checking accounts - one for regular checking and one for maaser so that I could write checks directly from the maaser account (it doesn't hurt at all that way!) ... right when I got paid I moved 10% over from the post tax take home pay.

Here's my last tip for now - if you can study for a high paying job, do it. I work in a high paying job and I am working the same hours as my friends who do very low paying work. I am fine with what I do ... No need to do something "meaningful" if you are going to hurt financially ... like social work, for example, which is a field that costs a lot of money to get a degree but then doesn't pay well. 18 years in the workforce has shown me that there isn't so much glory in the noble sacrificial profession of social work and there is more glory in being well fed, clothed and housed. However this is only my opinion and I am sure that there are plenty who would disagree with me.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 11:56 am
amother wrote:
Just finished grad school. I have 40 k in student loans, and 40k in mutual funds. Do I dump out all my savings and pay off the loan, or Do I pay it off slowly. It's a standard government loan, interest is high. If I choose the slow option, it'll take me about 2 years. Also, if I choose slow option, Do I change the loan so that I have lower interest rate?

For sure do the slow payment.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 12:10 pm
Thanks!

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 2:40 pm
I think the most important type of advice needed at that stage of life is long-range planning. What to consider when choosing a career path. Things like that.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 3:07 pm
You can plan your life and then nothing goes according to plan. And then one day everything comes together. All you can do is daven.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 3:17 pm
A mother brunette, do you mind sharing what career you studied for? I'm in a career rut would love to hear what you do

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 5:04 pm
[quote="amother"]When I was single and living at home I put away half of everything I earned (into savings) and spent the other half. I also maxed out my 401(k) from work. Both of these things came in handy! I also used a debit card instead of a credit card so that I wouldn't go into debt.

Things that didn't work for me - in my first year of work I invested $5000 in a stock tip from my father's friend - it was a penny stock (a tech penny stock in 1999 ... these were all the rage) and I lost all of it - around 8 years later I got back $300 from the initial investment and that was all! (Meaning the $5000 was all lost). So no more stock tip investing!

Also I put my 401(k) mainly in the S&P 500 Index Fund and that has done really well for me B"H.

I also always bought my cars instead of leasing - that has worked very well for me considering that my 2001 Camry (bought in 2005) is still being driven every day! However I am just not into nice cars - I imagine that someone who is single and loves "nice things" might prefer to lease.

I also separated maaser and made 2 checking accounts - one for regular checking and one for maaser so that I could write checks directly from the maaser account (it doesn't hurt at all that way!) ... right when I got paid I moved 10% over from the post tax take home pay.

Here's my last tip for now - if you can study for a high paying job, do it. I work in a high paying job and I am working the same hours as my friends who do very low paying work. I am fine with what I do ... No need to do something "meaningful" if you are going to hurt financially ... like social work, for example, which is a field that costs a lot of money to get a degree but then doesn't pay well. 18 years in the workforce has shown me that there isn't so much glory in the noble sacrificial profession of social work and there is more glory in being well fed, clothed and housed. However this is only my opinion and I am sure that there are plenty who would disagree with me.[/quote

Can you share your profession? ]

baby12x

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 3:00 am
Thank you so much for all your replies!
I got some good ideas- student loans, career choices, and being careful about investing options- especially when just starting out.
Thanks for all the support!

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 5:05 am
I'd like to know what you can deal with savings safely so that it grows, beyond a savings account interest

Also what are cds is that a good way to safely put your savings somewhere?

What about investment companies like Morgan Stanley and fidelity?

Also how to choose a good bank- what to look out for in a bank before making accounts there

crl

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 5:07 am
Love the blog!! It's so important to have smart financial skills and its not taught as a standard, which is a shame.

My advice is more job oriented: Go for a career that either pays well or that you really want to do and caters to your skills, not just one that you "hear is flexible for marriage", especially since one never know when it will happen.

Also, don't limit yourself to the Jewish sector. My job title maybe exists in a few select companies but does not pay nearly as much as in the general sphere. However, you also need skills that meet the industry standard, but if you're good, it will be rewarded financially.

Don't be afraid to know your value and ask for it. Keep up with your career and stay current, even if it's hard, because again, makes you more valuble.

I have a lot more general career tips that translate to money (hopefully) but this mama has to get to work. To be continued!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics