Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Good series for junior high boy
Previous  1  2  3  Next

rgr

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 3:47 am
Totally agree with mommy3b2c assessment of a series of unfortunate events.

Shoshana37

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 7:06 am
I agree Harry Potter is for 4-5th grade level. Lord of the rings is 6-7th grade. In 8th grade my son read jerasic park. Also My daughter in 7th grade read all keeper of lost city. So it's really depends on your child reading level.

gold21

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 8:57 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Depends on the reader. I read hardy Potter in second and third grade.... And the series of unfortunate events in 4th.

So I would say that Harry Potter is frequently read in third and fourth grade and fifth grade... Second grade is too early for most kids- even if you can read it, you may not pick up all the nuances of the story.... and most kids can't get through such long chapter books at that age anyway. 3rd-5th makes sense. My boys got into it in the summer prior to 4th grade.

But it is a series that kids re-read and re-read and re-read for years and years Tongue Out . So still relevant for junior high kids. And adults. I still can't get through Harry Potter. I find it boring. Why??? I don't know. Wink I also find the movies boring. I know, I am kind of weird like that. Confused LOL

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 9:33 am
I would love to come up with Judaica but he's probably read most of what's out there.
If you're open to non-series, here's some quality non-fiction:
Go My Son
Incredible
As Long As I Live
To Remain a Jew (Rav Yitzchak Zilber, zt"l)
There are youth bios of Rav Moshe zt"l and Rav Nosson Tzvi zt"l (wonderful pictures in both)
My Footsteps Echos might be interesting. It's about a European meshulach in Eastern countries in the 1800s.
The Secret Life of Gershon Burd
The Underground (about pre glasnost Russia)

Gotta run but I know I can come up with more.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 9:48 am
Cheery Bim Band series - 10 books - below is the first one -

https://www.amazon.com/Cheery-.....21893

saw50st8

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 10:04 am
Where the Red Fern Grows

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 10:51 am
Artemis fowl

poledra

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 11:42 am
Redwall series, Eragon series (specifically the first one)

little neshamala

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 11:57 am
Bruno and boots/mcdonald hall series by Gordon korman!! Best ever!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 2:09 pm
Cherry Bim Band I found is more appreciated by younger kids till 9 or 10 than preteens. My second grader is enjoying them now...

My 12 yo is reading The Candymakers (not Jewish) and The Boy who Never Gave Up (I think that's the title -- about Moshe Hillel Shepherd). I like PF's ideas; there are not many series Jewish wise for this demographic. My son likes R' Yosef Deutsch's Let My Nation _________ series as well but it's not typical I don't think for a preteen's leisure reading. In general, he's more of a non-fiction or short story reader.

Have you ever tried Nachman Seltzer books for your son? He has action novels, short stories, biographies, etc

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 2:26 pm
I really liked the book "Cosmic" by Frank Cottrell Boyce which my son who is pre-teen (11) read a couple of years ago. Cosmic was really interesting and exciting and had a happy ending.

I also liked the book "Fake-o Mustachio" (or "Fake Mustache") by Tom Angleberger - also a compelling read.

Also anything by Andrew Clements - like the book "Report Card."

Last night I was up late reading the book "The Radioactive Boy Scout" which was really interesting - another one that my son is reading. Really crazy book without a happy ending unfortunately (not fiction). But tons of science info in there.

iluvy

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 2:39 pm
Artemis Fowl
Lockwood and Co

debsey

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 6:49 pm
Gordon Korman has a new series called MasterMind that my kids read at about age 11-12

studying_torah

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 7:17 pm
Can you link to the warriors about the clans of cats? I think my kids would like it
My ds is a bit older, but he liked the Theodore Boone books by John Grisham , about a boy who wants to become a lawyer one day.

octopus

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 9:13 pm
What others suggested! Ds LOVED theodore boone too!

dr. pepper

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 10:59 pm
The percy jackson series
39 clues
charlie bone
mysterious benedict society
hatzlocha!

gold21

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 12:07 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I would love to come up with Judaica but he's probably read most of what's out there.
If you're open to non-series, here's some quality non-fiction:
Go My Son
Incredible
As Long As I Live
To Remain a Jew (Rav Yitzchak Zilber, zt"l)
There are youth bios of Rav Moshe zt"l and Rav Nosson Tzvi zt"l (wonderful pictures in both)
My Footsteps Echos might be interesting. It's about a European meshulach in Eastern countries in the 1800s.
The Secret Life of Gershon Burd
The Underground (about pre glasnost Russia)

Gotta run but I know I can come up with more.

Thank you for the recommendations!

Planning to stop by Judaica store tomorrow (need new yarmelkas) and hope to purchase some books while I'm there.

gold21

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 12:08 am
amother wrote:
Cheery Bim Band series - 10 books - below is the first one -

https://www.amazon.com/Cheery-.....21893

Thanks Tongue Out

gold21

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 12:12 am
saw50st8 wrote:
Where the Red Fern Grows

Thank you.

My only hesitation, based on Amazon reviews, is if it is too emotional/sad? I am drawn to emotional books that really get me to feel what the characters are feeling, that's my favorite genre (Is that a genre? No, not really. But it should be. Lol.) My boys are not really drawn to those types of books, they're more boyish like that.... What are your thoughts? Thanks.

gold21

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 12:14 am
amother wrote:
Artemis fowl

Great series, thanks
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children