Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Upsherenish Menu

amother

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 1:05 pm
My friend is making an evening upsherenish a few weeks after my lunchtime one so we were discussing ideas.

Hers: 4 types of plain pasta (linguine, elbows, penne, twists) kept warm over sternos + 4 sauces (cheese, alfredo, tomato, pesto), then salad bar & desserts (a bit). She said this will keep the cost down. She's buy the pasta at Costco.

It sounds great but a lot of work. I'd have to make 10x the sauce recipe for each sauce to fill a 9x13 pan. And that's only for the women's side.

I was thinking bagels, mini bagels for the kids, cream cheese, lox, tuna, egg salad, salads/salad bar, home made desserts.

What do you think out there?

shayna82

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 1:10 pm
last summer for my sons upshernish, I did strictly nosh and fruit, but not like so much candy type nosh, like cupcakes, trifle. stuff like that.

for my next son this may, iyh, I was thinking of doing just that- more of a sit down meal type thing, either bagles lox and some salads, or more like ziti and stuff like that.

whatever it will be it will be work, unless you just do a big cake and some drinks.

Mishie

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 1:28 pm
For my oldest son, we had a BBQ with all the trimmings. I.E. Baked Beans, Coleslaw, large salad, pickles etc....

For my younger 2 sons, we had a Pizza Upsheren. I also made a large veggie salad, and a really nice tri-colored pasta salad.

Cake and Ice-Cream for dessert.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 1:44 pm
Lox and tuna are expensive. So is BBQ'd meat, enough for crowd.....

Does it have to be a meal? Or fancy mezonos?

If you are making the stuff yourself, I have been bar m itzvas & even weddings with sterno wings & mini hotdogs. and meatballs. I think that must be cheaper.

lubcoralsprings

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 1:50 pm
For DS #1 I did a very nice upshernish. I did it in my house. I went to costco bought lox, white fish salad, and orange juice. I bought bagels at the bagels store, cream cheese, made some of my own desserts, and my "best pal" made the cake. I set it up buffet style with plastic cups, plates, forks, knives, and napkins. It was great! We had around 150 people and there was plenty of food. I made the lox platter myself and it came out beautiful and trust me I am no ARTIST! It was lovely, affordable, and I was happy to have all my friends and family! For DS#2 I am not sure how I will do it. His b-day is a few weeks before Pesach so I can't do it in my house. I am thinking I will do it in the park or school. I haven't decided yet.

Good Luck and Mazel Tov

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 3:25 pm
What is the child like? Is he shy?

What is your family situation? Do they expect a party?

What's your budget like? Can you really afford a party?

I had a newborn plus no family to come, so DH just took DS to shul to cut the hair, then he had a party in playgroup. We didn't think we HAD to do anything else.

Even a Bar Mitzvash is only a seudas mitzvah according to one opinion, you know.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 3:50 pm
We had a Sunday late morning upsherin.
We served bagels, lox, cream cheese, orange juice, milk, danish, birthday cake, alef-bais cookies, and some candy.

I wanted something nice and simple.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 12:52 pm
Quote:
What is the child like? Is he shy?

He is stubborn & hates being messed with so he'll probably hate the haircutting part, but we'll do what my mother did with my brither & bribe him with toys & candy. Otherwize, he'll love the party.

Quote:
What is your family situation? Do they expect a party?

We don't have big families, but we have lots of friends. They won't care what we do, but our families are big party throwers when it comes to simchas.

Quote:
What's your budget like? Can you really afford a party?

Absolutely! It's not even a question. Unless I was 9 months pregnany at the time, or it was right before Pesach, I'd be doing this.

[/quote]
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics