Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What did Colonial Jews Eat?
1  2  Next

byisrael

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 2:25 pm
I'm researching for a book that I am trying to write....

I tried researching spanish-portuguese/british jewish cuisine because colonial jews usually came from those places but I haven't come up with much (actually did you know fish n' chips is a jewish invention)

Specifically I would like to know what the shabbat food looked like....

I am trying to be as historically accurate as possible....

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 2:37 pm
You mention 'colonial Jews'. Do you mean Jews who came to the first US colonies or Jews who migrated to the colonial territories of other nations?

Check out the Jewish history collections at your local university. Google offers a plethora of Jewish History libraries. Jewish cultural and historical groups often have access to primary sources as well.

I appreciate your quest for historical accuracy, I'm really bothered when I spend good money on a book and it's obvious the author has done zero historic research. It also indicates that the editors weren't really concerned about a quality product.

byisrael

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 5:12 pm
Problem is that I am in Israel and have not been able to find any info on jewish cuisine in Colonial America - US (really around the war of 1812 but anytime from the early 1700's to the 1850's would be fine) in english locally.
The best I have is a recipe book from dutch ex anusim, but that does not incorporate any american foods (corn, potatoes, tomatoes, ect.)
I did find a Jewish doctor in Savvannah who perscribed tomatoes as a medicine Wink

You will probably never see this book because I don't plan to publish but I am a bit obsessive about having the historic detail accurate.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 5:19 pm
I would buy this

trixx

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 5:28 pm
Did you do a Google search?
Bc I just did and got tons of promising results

https://www.google.com/search?.....p;aqs

Edit it even describes the Spanish cholent they made
Google is your friend

marina

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 5:33 pm
this cookbook was published in 1871
https://www.amazon.com/Jewish-.....91099

byisrael

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 5:39 pm
trixx wrote:
Did you do a Google search?
Bc I just did and got tons of promising results

https://www.google.com/search?.....p;aqs

Edit it even describes the Spanish cholent they made
Google is your friend

I don't love only using google - it's hard to know what is accurate/not.....

I did see the spanish cholent and I will include that but I was wondering more if they used challah as was already customary in ashkenazic countries during that time period or the pita type bread customary in sephardic countries.

byisrael

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 5:42 pm
marina wrote:
this cookbook was published in 1871
https://www.amazon.com/Jewish-.....91099

Thank Marina

In 1871 the eastern european immagration had already started so this most probably will affect the cuisine (not reflective of my storyline) but I will by it anyways....

Who knows .....

animeme

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 5:46 pm
I can't remember the name of it, but Joan Nathan has a historical cookbook about America that might help. Will post the name if I remember, but it has recipes that people brought from their original countries. I don't remember how much colonial there is.

r_ch

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 6:09 pm
Ladies, really? In the suggested amazon American book there are recipes of oysters. I looked inside and first was taken aback with 'musts' on a breakfast table including roast and butter. OK, I thought first it's either or. But then, look up the contents, it's oysters and what not. Or could 'oysters, stewed' mean something else?
Edited for the question.

Last edited by r_ch on Sun, Oct 08 2017, 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

leah233

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 6:25 pm
Why would Jews in colonial times have a significantly different diet than other Americans at the time minus non kosher foods plus ethnic Jewish foods?

I do recall seeing somewhere that there was a controversy about the kasrush of a Muscovy duck back being that it was native to North America.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 6:27 pm
1812 is no longer colonial...

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 6:28 pm
byisrael wrote:
Problem is that I am in Israel and have not been able to find any info on jewish cuisine in Colonial America - US (really around the war of 1812 but anytime from the early 1700's to the 1850's would be fine) in english locally.
The best I have is a recipe book from dutch ex anusim, but that does not incorporate any american foods (corn, potatoes, tomatoes, ect.)
I did find a Jewish doctor in Savvannah who perscribed tomatoes as a medicine Wink

You will probably never see this book because I don't plan to publish but I am a bit obsessive about having the historic detail accurate.

The state of Rhode Island has a long history of Jews from colonial times. You may want to check historical resources based on geographic areas where Jews were actually present. Be aware the Jews of colonial America have little in common with the frum of today. And diet, everyones, depended on resources.

I've done a lot of research on Jews and the Westward Expansion and found that many Jewish communities and families kept excellent records. (This was of course, post colonial.)

samantha87

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 9:21 pm
Have you tried contacting the offices of the S&P shuls in NY, Newport, RI, or Savanah? They are all longstanding and very into their history. They may be able to point you in under right direction.

About anything published in 1871: by 1825 Ashkenazim were the majority in the US, mainly German. And in 1870, the Eastern European immigration was getting under way. So if you are seeking specifically Spanish and Portuguese Jewish food, you want to focus on the earlier period if possible.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 9:29 pm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....lSrch

saralem

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 11:52 pm
There is a shul called Mikve Israel in historic Philadelphia that dates back to early America. They have a museum on the premises. I would think they could provide some information.

jkw

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 12:51 am
Joan Nathan has two cookbooks that might be useful:
The Jewish Holiday Cookbook has a recipe from Thomas Jefferson called Fried Fish Jewish style.
The Cooking of America
Agree that diet then was a mix of kashrut and what was locally available.

byisrael

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 3:14 am
r_ch wrote:
Ladies, really? In the suggested amazon American book there are recipes of oysters. I looked inside and first was taken aback with 'musts' on a breakfast table including roast and butter. OK, I thought first it's either or. But then, look up the contents, it's oysters and what not. Or could 'oysters, stewed' mean something else?
Edited for the question.

This probably represents the level of observance that was unfortunatley very low.....

byisrael

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 3:17 am
Iymnok wrote:
1812 is no longer colonial...

It isn't

But since this character is of a Spanish- Portuguese family I think looking at colonial jewish cuisine verses anything after the german and then eastern european migration will be more accurate.

byisrael

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 3:18 am
jkw wrote:
Joan Nathan has two cookbooks that might be useful:
The Jewish Holiday Cookbook has a recipe from Thomas Jefferson called Fried Fish Jewish style.
The Cooking of America
Agree that diet then was a mix of kashrut and what was locally available.

Thank You
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics