Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Recommend Front loaders that can stack on top of each other

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 5:38 am
I see the traditional stackables are nothing to write home about so I'm considering other options. Can anyone recommend a good brand and model number? A washer and dryer that can be stacked to fit into my closet. Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 5:48 am
Almost all front loaders come with an option for a $75 piece that connects and stacks the front loader washing machine and its compatible dryer. It's called a stacking kit. We have the LG.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Oct 09 2017, 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 6:01 am
what do you mean machines cant be stackable? Ive only had stackable washers and driers for the last 12 years. Never had any problems, no matter the brand or model.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 9:34 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
what do you mean machines cant be stackable? Ive only had stackable washers and driers for the last 12 years. Never had any problems, no matter the brand or model.

Are you referring to two separate units that stack on each other?
The stackable I have is not separable. If I remove the washer, the dryer remains on the upper part of the base. If I were to remove the dryer and place it on the floor as a separate unit, it would topple over because it does not have a flat surface that can support itself on the floor.
At this point the only stackable unit I've seen is the Frigidaire. Poor reviews as far as I can tell.
So I'm conceding to purchasing two separate units and stacking them.
Similar to bunkbeds: you can get two separate beds and stack them or a bunkbed of the kind that is not separable. Makes sense now?

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 9:36 am
ra_mom wrote:
Almost all front loaders come with an option for a $75 piece that connects and stacks the front loader washing machine and its compatible dryer. It's called a stacking kit. We have the LG.

Thanks for this info! May I ask what made you choose the LG as opposed to other brands? I've seen soooooo many units, how does one choose from so many options?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 9:40 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for this info! May I ask what made you choose the LG as opposed to other brands? I've seen soooooo many units, how does one choose from so many options?

I asked around from people who had purchased HE machines before me and also factored in cost as I didn't have an unlimited budget. It seemed to me I'd get the most bang for my buck with the LG. There were better machines out there but not that much better that it was worth paying more if other people had great experience with this one. There were also HE machines that people told us to stay away from like Frigidaire.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 9:44 am
ra_mom wrote:
I asked around from people who had purchased HE machines before me and also factored in cost as I didn't have an unlimited budget. It seemed to me I'd get the most bang for my buck with the LG. There were better machines out there but not that much better that it was worth paying more if other people had great experience with this one.

Thanks! May I ask how much you paid?
I am inclined to remain under the 800 radar.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 9:45 am
amother wrote:
Are you referring to two separate units that stack on each other?
The stackable I have is not separable. If I remove the washer, the dryer remains on the upper part of the base. If I were to remove the dryer and place it on the floor as a separate unit, it would topple over because it does not have a flat surface that can support itself on the floor.
At this point the only stackable unit I've seen is the Frigidaire. Poor reviews as far as I can tell.
So I'm conceding to purchasing two separate units and stacking them.
Similar to bunkbeds: you can get two separate beds and stack them or a bunkbed of the kind that is not separable. Makes sense now?

You can't just stack any 2 machines on top of each other, they need to be compatible. But most HE machines are designed to be stacked with a simple stacking kit made for that particular model.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 9:46 am
ra_mom wrote:
There were also HE machines that people told us to stay away from like Frigidaire.

Would you remember which other ones to stay away from? GE? Maytag?
I appreciate all your feedback!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 9:47 am
amother wrote:
Thanks! May I ask how much you paid?
I am inclined to remain under the 800 radar.

For the washer dryer combination or just the washer?

amother
Royalblue

ra_mom wrote:
You can't just stack any 2 machines on top of each other, they need to be compatible. But most HE machines are designed to be stacked with a simple stacking kit made for that particular model.

Oh. What do you mean by compatible? it's not like laying two bricks on top of each other?

ra_mom

amother wrote:
Would you remember which other ones to stay away from? GE? Maytag?
I appreciate all your feedback!

Just the Frigidaire IIRC. I have other Frigidaire items but not washers or dryers.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 9:50 am
amother wrote:
Oh. What do you mean by compatible? it's not like laying two bricks on top of each other?

Nope. The top one can bounce right off the bottom one g forbid while the machines are running. They need to be secured with nuts and bolts. They also need to be designed to withstand stacking in a way that the heat from the 2 machines running together, friction against each other, won't cause fire issues.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 10:38 am
ra_mom wrote:
Nope. The top one can bounce right off the bottom one g forbid while the machines are running. They need to be secured with nuts and bolts. They also need to be designed to withstand stacking in a way that the heat from the 2 machines running together, friction against each other, won't cause fire issues.

Ohhh. I will ask for compatible units. And the kit.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 10:39 am
ra_mom wrote:
For the washer dryer combination or just the washer?

Just the washer. Maybe I'd go up to 1,000

dryer has a separate budget.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 11:21 am
amother wrote:
Just the washer. Maybe I'd go up to 1,000

dryer has a separate budget.

I paid less than that about 5 years ago. But I know price was different because I bought both pieces together.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 11:25 am
Thanks! u have a basic one, with no frills I guess?

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 12:13 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I beg to differ. I have stacked a few different types of machines on top of each other. As long as the top machine is smaller than or the same size as the bottom one, what could the problem be?

eimhabonim

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 2:28 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I beg to differ. I have stacked a few different types of machines on top of each other. As long as the top machine is smaller than or the same size as the bottom one, what could the problem be?

Yeah, I think in Israel everyone just stacks. I have never been recommended to buy compatible units. The ones here are all the same size in terms of footprint and there is no issue. Maybe it's different in the US?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics