Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why can't we post anonymously in the recipe forum?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 11:43 am
I wanted to ask in the recipe forums whether silver tip roast could be cooked as a pot roast instead of in the oven. And I wanted to do it anonymously, because silver tip roast is on sale in my neighborhood, and I don't want people to know where I live. I see that anonymous posting is disabled for recipes. Why?

groovy1224

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 11:46 am
I think that suspecting that someone will figure out who you are because silver tip roast is on sale in your neighborhood is a little paranoid.

InnerMe

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 11:47 am
How would people know that this item is on sale by your simple question of how it can be cooked?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 11:54 am
InnerMe wrote:
How would people know that this item is on sale by your simple question of how it can be cooked?

So maybe I'm paranoid, which means I have to be even more careful to use amother! But here's the thing. If there are some people out there who are not sure who I am, and they're thinking, maybe she lives in Teaneck, maybe she lives in Chicago, maybe she lives in Boca, and then I post a question about cooking something on sale, and they've seen that on sale, they might guess.

You could have other better reason for wanting to be amother in a recipe forum. You're posting your greatgrandmother Gittel's recipe for stuffed cabbage, the one with dried apples instead of raisins. Your relatives know Gittel's recipe. There goes your cover.

So why can't you be amother?

watergirl

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 11:55 am
Exactly. Just ask for a recipe. Why the need to say that its on sale? And by the way, it often goes on sale in many cities. Do you perhaps often post about being strapped financially, and you don’t want people to judge you for splurging on it, if you dont specify that its on sale? Regardless, no need to mention anything other than ask for the recipe.

Last edited by watergirl on Thu, Oct 26 2017, 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 11:56 am
Would you really trust a recipe from someone who doesn't want to be linked to the ingredients and directions that they're suggesting you blindly follow? Tongue Out

watergirl

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 12:03 pm
amother wrote:
So maybe I'm paranoid, which means I have to be even more careful to use amother! But here's the thing. If there are some people out there who are not sure who I am, and they're thinking, maybe she lives in Teaneck, maybe she lives in Chicago, maybe she lives in Boca, and then I post a question about cooking something on sale, and they've seen that on sale, they might guess.

You could have other better reason for wanting to be amother in a recipe forum. You're posting your greatgrandmother Gittel's recipe for stuffed cabbage, the one with dried apples instead of raisins. Your relatives know Gittel's recipe. There goes your cover.

Dont say that its on sale.

And post the recipe without mentioning that its great grandma Gittel’s. No need to mention ever detail. Its the internet. Its ok to leave stuff out or fib a drop.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 12:04 pm
amother wrote:

Grandma Gittel isn't the only one who uses dried apples.

I cannot tell you how many times I've gone to post my recipe for something, only to find that its already posted by someone else. This weekend, a friend was telling me about her cousin's special recipe that everyone loves; it was the same thing I'd made for Shabbat (and for the record, everyone did love it). And once, I was about to mention my grandmother's super-secret special trick for a certain dish, and someone already posted that she had learned that in cooking school.

As for things being on sale in Teaneck, Toronto or Timbuktu .... things are on sale lots of places. And sometimes, I even make things that are not on sale.

smile12345

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 12:08 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
This weekend, a friend was telling me about her cousin's special recipe that everyone loves; it was the same thing I'd made for Shabbat (and for the record, everyone did love it).

Hey, can you post this special recipe?

Though you never know, I may already have it Wink

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 12:11 pm
smile12345 wrote:
Hey, can you post this special recipe?

Though you never know, I may already have it Wink

Yeh! I want that recipe, too. And I want to know how to cook silver tip roast like a pot roast.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 12:13 pm
If you are paranoid about someone knowing that you bought a certain cut of meat, you should address the paranoia.
I buy meat in bulk and keep it in my freezer. If someone were to ask for a meat recipe, I'd think that she wanted that type of meat, had it in her freezer, like me, or bought it that week for the occasion. Since meat is sold around the globe, other than terms for cuts, I'd have no idea where you could possibly live. Also meat often goes on sale on the day it expires -you may have to ask at the counter. Even in little OOT communities.

groovy1224

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 12:14 pm
amother wrote:

Look, here's the thing. If you search hard enough, you can find a reason to want to post anything anonymously. I'm looking for a new feather duster, and my friend who recently commented that my ceiling fans looks dusty makes the connection, and BAM busted. Or I am curious if anyone has read a good book lately. My neighbor knows I'm on bedrest, and BAM busted again.

But overuse of the amother option really (IMO) dilutes the integrity and community of this site. It makes a post look like well this is what I think but don't ask me about it in a court of law and if you tell anyone it was me you heard it from I will deny it. DENY IT!

So while I haven't researched the topic thoroughly, I imagine that's why you can't post as amother in certain innocuous topics like the recipe forum. If it makes you uncomfortable, that is certainly within your rights, and you can withhold from posting there. If you want to post, and are nervous, change up a little detail. (so with your aunt Gittel's recipe, you could say I got this recipe from a friend but I can't remember who! But it's delicious!)

InnerMe

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 12:20 pm
What if...G-d forbid..
Guess what?! This morning I saw some silver tip roast on sale. Gotcha!!! Thoughts she's posting an innocent recipe.. but in fact she was leaking sensitive information! I know where OP lives, I'll look out for her in the supermarket and ask her if she's amother chartereuse!! I'll snoop some more and get all my info from her innocent recipes!

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 12:55 pm
amother wrote:
I wanted to ask in the recipe forums whether silver tip roast could be cooked as a pot roast instead of in the oven. And I wanted to do it anonymously, because silver tip roast is on sale in my neighborhood, and I don't want people to know where I live. I see that anonymous posting is disabled for recipes. Why?

I feel your problems may far exceed something as simple as a recipe for a silver tip roast.

agreer

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 1:17 pm
THIS THREAD IS HYSTERICAL!

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 1:18 pm
agreer wrote:
THIS THREAD IS HYSTERICAL!

I'm going to hold off my opinion until it gets to 10 pages.

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 1:52 pm
I had a brief desire to post anonymously on one thread about my healthy “Cheerios and milk” dinners. But then I thought, oh what the heck, this might actually show some other busy, stressed out mother that it’s totally fine to serve your family cereal every now and then. So I proudly posted under my screen name. I stand by my message. ;-)

I don’t even know what silver tipped roast IS, let alone how to find it or where it’s on sale. But I guess what else can you expect from this cereal-serving mom?

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 1:59 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
I had a brief desire to post anonymously on one thread about my healthy “Cheerios and milk” dinners. But then I thought, oh what the heck, this might actually show some other busy, stressed out mother that it’s totally fine to serve your family cereal every now and then. So I proudly posted under my screen name. I stand by my message. ;-)

I don’t even know what silver tipped roast IS, let alone how to find it or where it’s on sale. But I guess what else can you expect from this cereal-serving mom?

Can I have your recipe for Cheerios and milk? I'm never sure of the proportions. Of course, my friend Ruchie gets it perfect. And I could be just checking to see if you're Ruchie.

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 2:02 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Can I have your recipe for Cheerios and milk? I'm never sure of the proportions. Of course, my friend Ruchie gets it perfect. And I could be just checking to see if you're Ruchie.

Oh no... I’ve said too much.

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 2:13 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:

I don’t even know what silver tipped roast IS,

Me neither. And a “brisket” it what a mohel carries.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics