Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
NJ suburbs

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 6:02 am
I recently had occasion to be in the town of Wayne for the day. I was the passenger in the car and as I looked out the window during the twenty minute ride from the bus station to my destination in Wayne I noticed there were spots where I could see mountains! I know, I get all excited again as I'm writing this now. But yeah, I get excited over mountains Yes

I would love to find a studio size apt. , or a one bedroom, with a mountain view. Better yet, I'd be happy to live high up on a mountain.

Anyone here lives in NJ and have any leads?

Keep in mind I need to get to the city and back a few days a week.

doctorima

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 7:39 am
Do you have any other requirements? Does it need to be in or near a Jewish community? Or is this a place that would just be your own private getaway? And are you looking to buy or just rent short-term?

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 8:10 am
doctorima wrote:
Do you have any other requirements? Does it need to be in or near a Jewish community? Or is this a place that would just be your own private getaway? And are you looking to buy or just rent short-term?

It would be a private getaway. I'm a caretaker of an ill adult child (am sick with cancer myself) and need to escape to nature to keep my sanity.
My preference is to rent at first, and possibly buy later. Though if I can buy now for up to 10k I might consider buying now. I know, 10k is probably not realistic anywhere on the east coast.

lavenderchimes

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 8:47 am
But are you looking to be in a Jewish neighborhood?

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 8:56 am
lavenderchimes wrote:
But are you looking to be in a Jewish neighborhood?

Not necessarily. Shabbosos I'll probably be home with my family.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 8:59 am
doctorima wrote:
Do you have any other requirements?

Yes. A very quiet area. No sports cars or motorcycles or crying babies.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 9:04 am
Walking distance to a forest would be divine. Forests offer me a unique sense of calm and peace.

miami85

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 9:05 am
From what I can tell its not far from Passaic, so as long as you are female (don't need minyanim) and will be elsewhere for Shabbos why not just look up real estate brokers in the Wayne section of NJ and you can pick up kosher food from Passaic on your way to from the city.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 9:06 am
doctorima wrote:
are you looking to buy or just rent short-term?

I have in mind a long term rental, though am willing to consider a short-term.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 9:12 am
miami85 wrote:
look up real estate brokers in the Wayne section of NJ .

Are there any local papers/classifieds or fb groups where owners list rentals? This way I can skip the broker fees.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 9:19 am
Which other areas, close enough to nyc, have mountain views and forest?

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 9:34 am
how much are you willing to pay for rent a month and how "close" do you need it to be to NY. There are definitely "prettier" parts of nj but if it's close to the city it will be more expensive...

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 9:43 am
amother wrote:
I recently had occasion to be in the town of Wayne for the day. I was the passenger in the car and as I looked out the window during the twenty minute ride from the bus station to my destination in Wayne I noticed there were spots where I could see mountains! I know, I get all excited again as I'm writing this now. But yeah, I get excited over mountains Yes

I would love to find a studio size apt. , or a one bedroom, with a mountain view. Better yet, I'd be happy to live high up on a mountain.

Anyone here lives in NJ and have any leads?

Keep in mind I need to get to the city and back a few days a week.

Out of the box, but have you considered looking in the Poconos or in the Delaware Water Gap area? Both have magnificent scenery, and both are substantially less expensive than the NY metropolitan area. There are people who actually commute daily from the Poconos to NYC (by bus), but I think they're nuts. A couple of times a week may be do-able.

That said, there really is no Jewish community. You'd likely be quite isolated.

Refuah shleima to both you and your child.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 9:53 am
amother wrote:
have you considered looking in the Poconos or in the Delaware Water Gap area? Both have magnificent scenery, and both are substantially less expensive than the NY metropolitan area. There are people who actually commute daily from the Poconos to NYC (by bus),

How long of a commute is that by bus?
Where can I find listings in the areas you mention?

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 8:43 pm
Look at Mendham, or anywhere near the Morris & Essex line trains. Lots of beautiful areas. The apartments may well have crying children, though.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 9:19 pm
Englewood, Englewood cliffs, upper montclair are also very nice quiet affluent areas in nj . I don't know the price of housing there.

cbsp

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 1:56 am
I don't know if this is an area that would work for you. I drove through Garrett Mountain Reservation on the way to a meeting and was struck by its beauty. Just Googled "housing near Garrett Mountain" and found this

http://www.gardencommunities.c......aspx

Also, if you just need a place to sit and clear your head, the Great Falls of Paterson is beautiful. (The surrounding area not so much, so living within walking distance wouldn't be an option)

Refuah shelaima
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating