Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What will Brooklyn look like in 15 years?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 9:37 am
Raisin wrote:
Well, that would be nice. Smile

What do the less financially successful sefardim do if housing in Brooklyn is so expensive?

Some move to Lakewood but most stay and do what everyone does. They live in an apartment until they are popping out and then try to buy. Many young familes like myself who bought with some family help and the rest we borrowed.

Sometimes I think it’s crazy that I can get a mansion living elsewhere but I grew up here and my family and community is my life. So here is where I will be:)

There is a big thriving Syrian community in Lakewood and I am assuming that many will go there but majority will stay in Flatbush.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 10:03 am
fleetwood wrote:
Amother peach. No wishful thinking at all. This may shock you but I have a private driveway and backyard! In Flatbush! Pls don't faint from the shock🙄

Of course I'm not saying that every house in Bklyn doesn't have a backyard or private driveway. I'm saying that the houses in Midwood that are small, attached, no private driveway, are around $850k. The houses near Avenue K in the 20's, or near Ave. S between Mcdonald and Ocean Parkway, which do have private driveways and backyards, (probably small backyards relative to the 5towns or certain areas in Lakewood) are all way over a million. I'm sure young families are just scooping up those houses with $350,000 up front as a down payment and a near Million dollar mortgage. Let's be real, most everyone except the rich will be priced out.

fleetwood

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 1:38 pm
Of course it's young couples scooping up those houses.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 5:54 pm
amother wrote:
Some move to Lakewood but most stay and do what everyone does. They live in an apartment until they are popping out and then try to buy. Many young familes like myself who bought with some family help and the rest we borrowed.

Sometimes I think it’s crazy that I can get a mansion living elsewhere but I grew up here and my family and community is my life. So here is where I will be:)

There is a big thriving Syrian community in Lakewood and I am assuming that many will go there but majority will stay in Flatbush.

Seriously ?? Stay in Flatbush in a small shack with a microscopic piece of land or this

https://articles.nj.com/ocean/.....5.amp

And I say that as a Brooklyn girl who lived in Brooklyn for my first 31 years and still miss it..

pause

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 5:59 pm
amother wrote:
I actually came across a huge home thats smack in the heimish area. Its I think 8 bedrooms and they are asking in the $400s. This is a lot of money for this area, but the house is huge. http://m.brightmlshomes.com/Mo.....30727

Are all homes there this old?

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 6:18 pm
pause wrote:
Are all homes there this old?

In this part of Baltimore, houses are old. 1920ish. Some are from the 60s. Some from the 50s.

Eta - I just double checked that house. Its not that old! 1940s isnt bad at all. Other areas are newer.

pause

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 6:24 pm
amother wrote:
In this part of Baltimore, houses are old. 1920ish. Some are from the 60s. Some from the 50s.

Eta - I just double checked that house. Its not that old! 1940s isnt bad at all. Other areas are newer.

It's old-ish. Will probably need "internal" work, wiring, plumbing, etc.

Shoshana37

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 6:36 pm
We bought our house 2 years ago in marine Park and put our whole life savings and borrowed from family. Very small house. After visiting my sister in Ohio I realized we made big mistake. we work like a horse to pay for everything in New York, schools, mortgage, food we basically have no life here. Our kids don’t even have enough space in back yard to put anything fun. My sister has huge house and her mortgage is quarter of my mortgage same for other expenses. I agree our salary is hire but it’s still not enough to do anything else or buy fancy stuff.
I’m waiting few more years till I can sell and move away from NYC it’s too expensive to live here

turca

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 11:11 pm
Raisin wrote:
Well, that would be nice. Smile

What do the less financially successful sefardim do if housing in Brooklyn is so expensive?

They work their *** off to become financially successful. BTDT BH!

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 11:30 pm
pause wrote:

Not really. People dont do much there. Honestly.

creditcards

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 11:45 pm
watergirl wrote:
You’re backpedaling. You said there are no jobs. There are. Now you're adding other issues. You’d actually be spending way less in many ways. Housing, taxes, for starters. Its a more simple lifestyle out of Brooklyn so thats way cheaper. Tuition is actually pretty similar. I know this because I've also crunched numbers. Food costs are the same also. Look at Watsonsale.com and then go to season’s website and see for yourself that the prices on food are very comparable. Just say you prefer Brooklyn, you dont have to give an excuse or justification for why you’re staying. Its great if you like it there. But please dont give pretend rationale that is not fair to those of us who live the out of Brooklyn life and know you arent correct in your assesment.

Why do you say so. I moved away from Brooklyn and tuition and food is much more over here. Property tax is more here. Car expenses are more here. Including car service. In Brooklyn everything is walking distance. The only thing that's cheaper here is housing.

nicole81

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 11:48 pm
pause wrote:

My house was built in 1920. Wiring and plumbing are just fine. The only work aside from routine maintenance that we've done over the past 10 years has been cosmetic, and the same goes for all of my neighbors who have similarly aged homes.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 7:43 am
We’re a young family that moved from brklyn to lkwd same time as couple of our friends and ppl call me all the time that they’re too. My kids schools Yeshiva schools were NOT growing they remained constant. Our quality of life has shot up here - the air space and grass my kids are outside playing w friends all the time. Granted I never liked brklyn and can’t understand how someone would choose to live in such cramped quarters but that being said w bought our house Ourselves no help and proud of it! I think it’s obscene for a young family to need that amnt of help from family just to buy a home!! Besides for Sephardim I just can’t see how a Yeshiva family would stay and not realize what’s in the other side of the bridge!!

watergirl

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 8:04 am
creditcards wrote:
Why do you say so. I moved away from Brooklyn and tuition and food is much more over here. Property tax is more here. Car expenses are more here. Including car service. In Brooklyn everything is walking distance. The only thing that's cheaper here is housing.

I'm honestly not following your points that you are trying to make, in relation to the post you quoted.

I was going back and forth with an another who claimed that there are no jobs out of NY. I brought proof from just one of the many websites I've checked (not blogs, real reputable journalistic sites) showing that jobs are more readily available in states that are NOT NY.

I dont know where you live and you dont know where I live. Comparing them is moot. I can only compare my vast research with my life experience, as can you. I have no idea where you live. But like I said, you can compare prices of the major kosher food stores and see that food is not much different. If you live in a city with a seasons, for example, you pay the same in NY that you pay in Baltimore. And I've lived in places with very expensive meat - how do we avoid paying those prices? Easy! We formed a co-op and then we pay the same. Again, I dont know where you live. But the price I pay for my car is CHEAPER than when I lived in NY because insurance is cheaper! I dont take a car service - if you live in a place where you cant walk anywhere, why would you? However, fwiw, I have a few friends who dont own cars and after crunching the numbers, she pays about the same for her ubers as others pay for their monthly car payments, insurance, and gas.

I also said that tuition is the same. I have paid tuition in 5 states, 2 of them in NY, 1 of them in NYC. No difference, honestly.

Re: property tax - I just googled my city/state and Brooklyn, and mine is less.

Are you living in Monsey/Lakewood/other tristate area and comparing that with Brooklyn? That may be the issue. I dont know.

creditcards

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 9:02 am
watergirl wrote:
I'm honestly not following your points that you are trying to make, in relation to the post you quoted.

I was going back and forth with an another who claimed that there are no jobs out of NY. I brought proof from just one of the many websites I've checked (not blogs, real reputable journalistic sites) showing that jobs are more readily available in states that are NOT NY.

I dont know where you live and you dont know where I live. Comparing them is moot. I can only compare my vast research with my life experience, as can you. I have no idea where you live. But like I said, you can compare prices of the major kosher food stores and see that food is not much different. If you live in a city with a seasons, for example, you pay the same in NY that you pay in Baltimore. And I've lived in places with very expensive meat - how do we avoid paying those prices? Easy! We formed a co-op and then we pay the same. Again, I dont know where you live. But the price I pay for my car is CHEAPER than when I lived in NY because insurance is cheaper! I dont take a car service - if you live in a place where you cant walk anywhere, why would you? However, fwiw, I have a few friends who dont own cars and after crunching the numbers, she pays about the same for her ubers as others pay for their monthly car payments, insurance, and gas.

I also said that tuition is the same. I have paid tuition in 5 states, 2 of them in NY, 1 of them in NYC. No difference, honestly.

Re: property tax - I just googled my city/state and Brooklyn, and mine is less.

Are you living in Monsey/Lakewood/other tristate area and comparing that with Brooklyn? That may be the issue. I dont know.

I live next to a seasons. But seasons is not cheap compared to Boro Park groceries.

You don't understand my point?
You basically told that poster that her numbers were wrong. That you believe she would pay less if she moved, and you gave your examples. Well if she was planning to move were I live, she will pay more for certain things...
By moving, you are sort of switching one set of problems for another set. (But I personally prefer my new set of problems)
Not saying she shouldn't move, but she should know what she is getting into.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 9:10 am
creditcards wrote:
I live next to a seasons. But seasons is not cheap compared to Boro Park groceries.

You basically told that poster that her numbers were wrong. That you believe she would pay less if she moved, and you gave your examples. Well if she was planning to move were I live, she will pay more for certain things...
By moving, you are sort of switching one set of problems for another set. (But I personally prefer my new set of problems)

Yes- Seasons is actually quite pricey.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 9:11 am
creditcards wrote:

I think her point was, prices can be the same. Also, they are known for their phenomenal sales, and literally the only time we ever buy red meat, ever, is when seasons has it on sale.

watergirl

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 9:16 am
creditcards wrote:

Oh, I get your point. I just disagree with it. For me and many others, its not in any way trading old problems for new ones. Again - I only know my finances and my spending habits. I have no idea where you live. I assume its tristate. Where I live, we are spending way WAY less than when we lived in NY. We didnt acquire new problems, BH. Our lives and quality of life improved on a huge scale. We actually have a LOT of NY exports here and they all agree.

So ok fine, lets say meat costs more (though for me, it doesnt). Then you.... wait for it... buy less meat!

philamom

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 10:19 am
Hi ladies, consider looking into Northeast Philadelphia. Not far from Brooklyn, wonderful schools with tax credits= great tuition breaks, affordable homes, low property taxes, affordable groceries, (chicken 2.49 lb or less) and Philly is a very large city with many jobs. Personally, I work in the early intervention system here and the rates are very comparable to NY. Please feel free to pm me for information. Its a very warm community with a lot going on.

Tech_mom

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 11:35 am
We moved to the Five Towns two years ago after living in Flatbush for 13. I got a house double the size. What I didn't know then was that all other expenses are higher: tuition, babysitting, groceries, the general standard of living for my children to keep up with their classmates to name a few.

And then there are all the intangibles: double the time spent commuting to jobs reduces quality of life.

For me though, I moved not only because of housing. Having an eruv in my new community is huge for me.

I don't regret my decision. But, as with everything in life nothing is as black and white as people paint it. Brooklyn works for a wide spectrum of the frum population for any number of reasons - even if housing is through the roof.
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics