Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
What was the best wedding gift you got?

mom1/2dz

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 11:38 am
Need ideas for great wedding gifts---I want to give something really practical and/or memorable. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Surprised

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 11:41 am
both practical:

really nice and durable shabbos table cloth and an immersion blender.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 11:47 am
Immersion blender
Cash
Check
Gift Card

Nicole

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 11:51 am
I think it depends on the couple. Some gifts COULD have been practical, but we found them really ugly/ not our taste. One family gave us a great salad bowl that I use all the time, also as someone said, we have a couple of wonderful tablecloths.
Our challah board was a gift and we like it BUT we got three others which we gave away. Very Happy
I guess we appreciated money, but now, 2 1/2 yrs later, I don't really remember who gave what amount, so an actual gift is definitely more memorable.

loveit

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 11:59 am
It's not practicle but it is memorable. When my mother remarried, a cousin gave her the gift of sponsoring a donkey for a year through some foundation in Israel that rescues donkeys (I guess they are often mistreated?) lol, I think it's the most memorable gift!!! LOL Rolling Laughter

Tila

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 12:21 pm
We got a Kitchen Aide stand mixer. I use it more than twice a week!! No idea how much you want to spend!!

mom1/2dz

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 12:29 pm
want to spend under $50 if possible-we've got lots of weddings to go to b"H!
Someone once told me a couple of folding chairs is a great gift, as long as the couple is staying in your town . . .
Just always looking for more ideas! The tablecloth is a good one . . .

greentiger

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 12:33 pm
Nicole wrote:
I think it depends on the couple. Some gifts COULD have been practical, but we found them really ugly/ not our taste. One family gave us a great salad bowl that I use all the time, also as someone said, we have a couple of wonderful tablecloths.
Our challah board was a gift and we like it BUT we got three others which we gave away. Very Happy
I guess we appreciated money, but now, 2 1/2 yrs later, I don't really remember who gave what amount, so an actual gift is definitely more memorable.

I think eveyone was following that train of thought when we got married, becuase we didn't get any challah covers, and got a challah board only months later from someone who specifically asked what we needed, same for kiddush cup, but we got at least 5 salad bowl sets.

Tila

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 12:47 pm
thats true!! We had to go out and get a challah cover!! How about those fancy silver match box covers?? We don't have one, that would bwe nice. Also matzo covers, afikomen bag, etc. Haggadahs, Tamar Ainch pesach cookbook, spice n spirt cook book. a gift certifcate to ajewish book store.

MommyLuv

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 12:47 pm
One of the prettier things we got was a handpainted silk challa cover, very unique and artsy. I use it every week. I have never seen that kind of thing in any judaica shops...but you have to be lucky to know what they would like.....

Henya

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 1:40 pm
Nicole wrote:

when we got married, we put all the cash gifts into a separate account & used it towards our downpayment a few years later. So, $ definitely helps & we're so happy that we didn't use it towards every day spending.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 2:04 pm
ask them what they want. I got lots of gifts that I either regifted or still have but refuse to use. I don't understand why someone bought me silver candlesticks when I barely know them, but I don' t like silver and I have heirloom candlesticks I use every week. I use them if my mother comes over for shabbos, but otherwise I don't even know where to put them. we got way too much silver stuff that I don't like and the challah boards (wood and silver) are ok but extremely heavy and take up half the table. (we appreciated the thought behind each gift, I'm just saying that when buying someone home accessories, make sure they really want it.)

Raisin

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 2:28 pm
One of the most practical and nice gifts we got was 2 down quilts. (whatever they are called in other countries.)

Even if the couple already has some you usually need more - for guests, kids etc.

Down ones are expensive though.

shanie5

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 2:48 pm
my mom used to buy an assortment of kitchen gadgets -peeler, egg slicer, garlic press, pizza cutter, etc- and wrap them each separartely with a different recipe attached to each gift.
(okay, so they were really shower gifts, but I think its still a good wedding gift too.)

Like Tila posted, my best gift was my kitchen aid mixer which I use so regularly that it never leaves the counter. and I still have it over 21 years later.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 8:14 pm
I want to get a challa cover as a gift for s/o, which online websites do u know of that r good?

funny50

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 9:43 pm
my best gift was a microwave- my father's friend from yeshiva gave it for a present. very useful.
also, a good idea is a silver matchbox.

(by the way, I got 7 shabbos silver challah knives!!!)

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 9:57 pm
We didn't get any Judaica at all except a weird wooden box with a torah painted on the cover. Most people got challah covers and challah boards, knives, etc. we didn't. However, we DID get 7 glass bowls.

I would see where they are registered....then, if they're not registered, asking is weird, no one ever wants to say, can you get together w/ someone on a gift?

jemappelle

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 10:20 pm
didnt exist when I got married but a great gift: kosher lamp

amother

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 10:21 pm
Cash is the best gift. I remember every person who gave me cash. I still have all of the money put away for a down payment one day. Even when my daughter was born and I got $18, I appreciated that so much more than just another outfit.

Henya

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 10:32 pm
I got a Braun food processor as one of our gifts. I use it all the time. I don't even own a mixer. I mix all cake/cookie batters in the food processor!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics