Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Can you make someone into a psychopath?

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Dec 21 2017, 9:04 pm
Please only answer if you actually know. No "I think" or educated guesses. If you are in the psychology field and know the answer, then please answer.

I was in an abusive relationship. My abuser kept telling me I was a psychopath, that I was manipulative, had no empathy, etc. I became seriously crazy and developed major mental health issues. After I got out of the relationship, I healed and became completely normal again with no mental issues.

I was wondering if I would have stayed if it's possible to break someone down and destroy them into nothing and then convince them that they actually have no empathy and are a psychopath. Can severe, severe psychological abuse change your brain wiring?

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Dec 21 2017, 10:13 pm
Severe psychological abuse can cause PTSD which can manifest in mood instability and other signs of psychological distress. However, psychopathy is a personality makeup, which arises from a complex interplay of factors stemming from childhood.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Dec 21 2017, 10:29 pm
It can but from the information I have it wouldn't be so late in life.

The theory is that when a child is very very young they form an attachment to a caregiver. If an abusive situation prevents that natural bonding from happening, the child develops with a severe lack of love and empathy.

There are stories of babies who were in orphanages during the war and got adopted by nice families. The families who adopted them at age 1 or 2 couldn't understand why their children were hurting animals or pathologically lying for no reason a few years later.

Another clinical study was done on a girl who had all the symptoms of a psychopath and was severely abused as a baby. She developed a conscience through tough but consistent love and being given responsibility to care for animals on a farm.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Dec 21 2017, 10:35 pm
Not in psychology, but have some personal experience and did a lot of research and work on myself in therapy.
For starters a true psychopath will never ever ask that question, so if you are still asking you aren't there.
I hope you have a good support system and or therapist to help you work through this and strengthen your identity.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Dec 21 2017, 10:36 pm
amother wrote:
Severe psychological abuse can cause PTSD which can manifest in mood instability and other signs of psychological distress. However, psychopathy is a personality makeup, which arises from a complex interplay of factors stemming from childhood.

This.

(I'm a therapist.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics