Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Accounting

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 9:39 pm
Anyone know if there is any point of getting my accounting degree withought continuing onto cpa? Also, can you describe work of accountant? Thanks

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 12:24 am
Certainly. My DH is a very successful accountant without being a CPA. He has his own business specializing in taxes for individuals and small businesses and monthly accounting for small businesses.

There are many different kinds of accounting work.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 3:56 am
I wouldn't start school with such a plan. At least try to strive for better.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 6:21 am
amother wrote:
Certainly. My DH is a very successful accountant without being a CPA. He has his own business specializing in taxes for individuals and small businesses and monthly accounting for small businesses.

There are many different kinds of accounting work.

Is he an enrolled agent (EA)? Otherwise he cannot sign a tax return that he prepares if he's not a CPA.

leah233

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 6:33 am
amother wrote:
Is he an enrolled agent (EA)? Otherwise he cannot sign a tax return that he prepares if he's not a CPA.

He can sign a return.The only thing he can't do is speak to the IRS about a return he didn't prepare.

If he doesn't get eighteen CPE credits every year then he can't speak to the IRS even about a return he did prepare.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jan 02 2018, 8:48 pm
I figured even without a cpa, it has to make some money...looking for flex job with potential for salary

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 2:16 am
amother wrote:

Not true.
https://www.irs.gov/tax-profes.....rers.

All you need is a preparer tax identification number.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 3:58 am
amother wrote:
I figured even without a cpa, it has to make some money...looking for flex job with potential for salary

Accounting is not a flexible industry. There are quite a number of tax seasons and half of the year you stay at work way past dinner time.
If you're ok working on your own no matter what the income brings in it can possibly be a flexible job. But bear in mind that you'll be at the mercy of your clients so even if you can be home when your kids get home, you may be working at your computer until 2am instead.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 4:07 am
I have my cpa and work in the private industry. I work part time and make a nice salary for the hours I work. Most companies need an in house accountant. You don't have to necessarily go public.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 7:43 am
amother wrote:
I have my cpa and work in the private industry. I work part time and make a nice salary for the hours I work. Most companies need an in house accountant. You don't have to necessarily go public.

You didn't have to put in a few years of full time/overtime in the public industry to build yourself up first so you could get a good paying job in the private sector?

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Jan 04 2018, 8:59 pm
Thanks for the answers. I’d probably stick with private places for flexibility

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jan 04 2018, 9:05 pm

Last edited by amother on Tue, Aug 28 2018, 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Jan 05 2018, 4:32 am
I was the responder that said I worked in the private sector. I Didn't have to work in the public sector first. However, I'm not the cfo. If that's your goal you'd probably need cpa experience.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Jan 05 2018, 6:07 am
You can definitely make money without a CPA but flexible jobs are really hard to find in accounting. It's also hard to get a private accounting job straight out of school. Public accounting companies hire tons of new grads but private companies usually want someone with experience so they don't have to train as much.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics