Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Do you wake up your kids for school?
1  2  Next

SingALong

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 7:50 am
I put my kids to bed pretty early like 6:30-7:00. The need to get out of the house by 8:45 to make their bus. So I wake them about 7:30 to give them an hour to get dressed and eat breakfast. 5 yr old ds and 6 1/2 yr old dd have a really hard time getting out of bed in the mornings. I usually drive ds to school about 1/2 hour late. I feel cruel forcing him to get up when he's half asleep and says he's still tired. But I don't like that he's frequently coming late to school. I also don't see myself getting him to bed earlier, he gets 12 hours of sleep...isn't that enough?

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 8:59 am
12 hours is enough. I don't think he needs more. Maybe give him a warning like
" in 15 minutes you have to get dressed". Many kids need to be awaken in the morning. A big no no for me is coming late to school. I make sure my kids make the bus no matter what. I have to wake some kids some days.... other days I have to wake all kids or none...

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 9:23 am
Yes, I get them up most days. We are sort of a disorganized bunch in the AM. I am no good at mornings. I have found that my kids are just like me. If they have an hour or longer to get ready for school, they will move around slowly and take every minute of that time and still not be ready and whine they didn't have enough time. If they sleep later and I tell them we have to be out the door in 15 minutes they get onto zoom mode and rush around like mad but are 100% ready when it's time to go. So I choose to let them sleep a little later and rush rather then get up early and do the zombie thing. It's hectic but it works for us.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 9:29 am
My kid is always up. Unless it was a supper late night.
She's sometimes up before the sun is up Wink.
But she still is ready a second before she need to leave. The bus has waited more than once for her....
She's 4.5 and very likely has adhd. Runs in the family and she has all challanges and the brilliance that sometimes comes with it.

As long as there is no yelling and crying it's a successful morning.
I don't drive and a taxi to school is minimum $30 ride.... so if she misses the bus, she stays home.....

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 9:32 am
FRankly school isn't a free for all. Keep them home, or send to a nanny. :/

mommyhood

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 9:35 am
I have some kids that wake up with the sun and some that need to be dragged out of bed. Going to school late is not an option in our house, with the exception of the occasional simcha. Assuming you've ruled out medical issues like sleep apnea I would say you just need to accept that they're going to complain in the morning. It's not good for a kid to constantly come late to school.

Last edited by mommyhood on Tue, Jan 09 2018, 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total

DVOM

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 9:39 am
Some of my kids wake themselves, get themselves dressed with no prompting, get out their own breakfast, pack their own snacks, and are outside waiting for the bus half hour early.

And some need to be woken slowly, droop to the bathroom, are found 20 minutes later sitting on the bathroom floor in a sleepy trance, usually holding some lego guys, are propped up at the table, begged to eat one or two sluggish bites of breakfast and are bundled out the door to the bus still half asleep.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 9:40 am
My sons bus is at 7 in the morning. My kids dont get enough sleep but I always wake them up early with everything ready so that the morning will be smoother. If they don't want to get up, I stand them up and help them get dressed if need be. But I will not let them miss the bus by sleeping overtime. It is hard but I do try to get them in bed early the night before but they don't get home that early and hw needs to be done plus the nightly routine.

It is hard getting them up in the morning, but it is not a choice. Just like we have to get up on Tim for work, they have to get up for school.

Moonlight

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 10:07 am
DVOM wrote:
Some of my kids wake themselves, get themselves dressed with no prompting, get out their own breakfast, pack their own snacks, and are outside waiting for the bus half hour early.

And some need to be woken slowly, droop to the bathroom, are found 20 minutes later sitting on the bathroom floor in a sleepy trance, usually holding some lego guys, are propped up at the table, begged to eat one or two sluggish bites of breakfast and are bundled out the door to the bus still half asleep.

THis sounds so cute!!!

Moonlight

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 10:09 am
My kids alarm clock is set to 7. so is mine. the girls are supposed to get dressed right away and when I come out of my room we all go down for breakfast. They boys get dressed after breakfast. (they start school much later). My one kink is my oldest girl is not a morning person. It takes her 30 min to get dressed. She can have one sock on and one sock off for 10 min straight, just staring into space.... so a lot of urging for her.

DVOM

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 8:34 pm
Moonlight wrote:
THis sounds so cute!!!

It really is actually... but some mornings I just want to scream!!

Stars

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 8:42 pm
I wish.... My preschooler wakes up on average 3-4 hours before his bus comes (9:30. and normal wake up time is between 5:30-6:30)

yogabird

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 8:49 pm
before first grade I have no problem letting a kid be late to school if they need the extra sleep, IF it works out for me logistically.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 8:51 pm
Wow those are pretty late start times! School starts at 8 sharp so we leave the house at 7:20 (7:30 the latest but I budget in a few minutes for last minute “where’s my other shoe!?” Issues).
My preschool kid is up at 6 the latest when he wakesup himself- no alarm needed ever. Only 1 time this year I had to wake my kid up and that was at 6:40. We have never been late to school BH.
I put out everything they need the night before to make it run smoothly. Lunches made, clothes are usually left out etc.
oh and he goes to bed between 6-6:30 the latest!!

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 8:52 pm
Off topic but how do you deal with such late start times? What time do they end? Don’t you work?

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 8:53 pm
My kids are Baruch HaShem "geruten in di mama" ( don't even know how to translate that) I never have to tell them to go to bed and I never have to wake them up . Since age two they naturally go to bed on time and wake up when they need to. Yeh... I know I'm lucky😊

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 9:06 pm
Stars wrote:
I wish.... My preschooler wakes up on average 3-4 hours before his bus comes (9:30. and normal wake up time is between 5:30-6:30)

Same here! 2 & 4 yo up @ dawn. & I'm a night owl...where'd they pick up this gene??? 5 yo- depends on how quick she fell asleep night before. it takes my oldest the longest time to get ready & lately she's been missing her bus... good thing we live 2 short blocks from the school so I cross them over .

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jun 11 2018, 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

crust

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 9:14 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
My kids are Baruch HaShem "geruten in di mama" ( don't even know how to translate that) I never have to tell them to go to bed and I never have to wake them up . Since age two they naturally go to bed on time and wake up when they need to. Yeh... I know I'm lucky😊

Are you for real? Is there such a thing that kids with an 's' go to sleep without being told and then they wake up on time by themselves? Wow. I do have one but only one. Bh far dem.

I so much resonate with DVOM.

And OP yes my 6 year old has to be out by 7:45 but he is still sleeping then. He regularly goes with the bus that goes an hour later. If I put him to sleep at 6 he complains that he never gets to play.

It's not like he misses out academically. On Sunday he already knows the however many Chumash they learn that week. By Monday the kid is bored stiff. What's the panic to get him out so early?

ontheotherside

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 9:35 pm
12 hours is probably too much sleep and sometimes when you sleep too much you feel more tired. I also think that while you feel bad for Dd and ds it’s importmat to teach them responsibility and create stability. Going to school teaches them both those lessons. If at such a young age they think they can come to achool whenever they fancy they will take that attitude and carry it through in other areas of their lives. Start by waking them 15 minutes earlier than normal and prepping them with 5 more minutes then you must get up get dressed ect.....good luck!!!!

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 2:35 am
I ALWAYS have to wake my kids! (unless its a trip day, of course!)
But it takes them forever to fall asleep at night, so no surprises really.
But even if they claim that they're sooo tired in the morning, they are fine a whole day, do very well in school, dont come home cranky, and at night again they cant fall asleep!
But I never let them go late.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers