Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Advice for starting with regular cleaning help?
1  2  Next

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 9:00 pm
Never having used a cleaning woman on a regular basis, and about to start to, does anyone have any advice for training someone & having someone come into your home weekly?
Thank you in advance for any suggestions

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 9:08 pm
I think I'm an outlier - but I never 'trained' my cleaning lady. I hired her assuming she knew how to clean. Worked out for me....

As for having her in my home weekly - I actually have her every other week. She has a key - I'm at work - we pay her via paypal.

So this was probably totally unhelpful to you - but wanted to throw in my two cents.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 9:12 pm
Dont let her use a mop....or your floor want get clean they become lazy nothing gets washed not under furniture or beds....can you tell I found tons of dust under my furniture?

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 10:27 pm
amother wrote:
I think I'm an outlier - but I never 'trained' my cleaning lady. I hired her assuming she knew how to clean. Worked out for me....

As for having her in my home weekly - I actually have her every other week. She has a key - I'm at work - we pay her via paypal.

So this was probably totally unhelpful to you - but wanted to throw in my two cents.

I do the same. She comes twice a week, and knows how to clean much better than me.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 11:06 pm
I'm also going to get a cleaning lady for the first time in about 5 years. I'm going to have her start with stuff that I never got to like deep cleaning my kitchen, the microwaves, my windows and sills. I have been doing a lot of decluttering so that when she comes that she can really clean. I'm thinking she can help me start with Pesach cleaning. Since I'm not used to having someone on a regular basis I'm pretty good at up keeping the basics but it's the deep cleaning that I really need help with. I'll be following for ideas.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 3:49 am
amother wrote:
Dont let her use a mop....or your floor want get clean they become lazy nothing gets washed not under furniture or beds....can you tell I found tons of dust under my furniture?

What implement do you permit her to clean the floor with?

smss

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 5:53 am
amother wrote:

Wait what?

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 5:57 am
[quote="imasoftov"]What implement do you permit her to clean the floor with?[/quote
She is expecting your cleaning lady to wash the floor with a rag on her hands and knees . There are LOTS of women that have this requirement. I leave it up to the cleaner. Whatever method she chooses. I have problems with my knees and the pain to be on my hands and knees are excruciating , I would never want to inflict such pain on anyone else no matter how much I pay her

devash1

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 5:59 am
Is asking your cleaning lady to clean on her hands and needs a joke? I'm honestly not sure. I would never dream of asking someone to get on their hands and knees to clean my floor. Right now I don't have cleaning help and I would never do that myself maybe to reach a hard corner but that's it.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 6:01 am
Make sure you have all detergents and cleaning equipment she will need.

Give her clear details on how you want each room cleaned. For example- washing the cabinet doors and inside the oven....

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 6:06 am
amother wrote:

Because “they” are all exactly the same. And also, they are your slaves so you got to “let them” or “not let them” do things.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 6:13 am
flowerpower wrote:
Make sure you have all detergents and cleaning equipment she will need.

Give her clear details on how you want each room cleaned. For example- washing the cabinet doors and inside the oven....

I didn't grow up with cleaning help, so my cleaning helpers trained ME!

Have all your cleaning supplies in one place, and ready for her. A box, a large plastic bin, whatever works. Extra sponges, rubber gloves, etc. Ask her what she prefers by way of cleaning products, and stock them (as long as they are not too toxic, and you're not sensitive to them.)

Go through the house and make lists, and ask her what is reasonable for the amount of time alotted. If time is short, let her know what your priorites are.

After she leaves, DO check under/behind sofas, dining tables, and beds. If you're not happy, figure out a nice way to point that out next time, and ask her if she needs more time to get to all the hard to reach places.

Good help is REALLY hard to find, and clear communication is 99% of what it takes for a good relationship. It really is a shidduch.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 7:04 am
[quote="Bizzydizzymommy"]
imasoftov wrote:
What implement do you permit her to clean the floor with?[/quote
She is expecting your cleaning lady to wash the floor with a rag on her hands and knees . There are LOTS of women that have this requirement. I leave it up to the cleaner. Whatever method she chooses. I have problems with my knees and the pain to be on my hands and knees are excruciating , I would never want to inflict such pain on anyone else no matter how much I pay her
[quote]

There are special pads for washing the floors. I can wash with a mop myself no need to pay 14 dollars an hour for that! Its sort of licking the floor.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 7:09 am
devash1 wrote:
Is asking your cleaning lady to clean on her hands and needs a joke? I'm honestly not sure. I would never dream of asking someone to get on their hands and knees to clean my floor. Right now I don't have cleaning help and I would never do that myself maybe to reach a hard corner but that's it.

When you hire someone to do a job you expect it to be done with no mistakes. Same with cleaning help when I pay for cleaning help I expect her to wash my floor without leaving any dirt on the floor including under beds and furniture.

ellacoe

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 7:13 am
Be clear in showing her what you want and when. Meaning how often you would like certain tasks done etc. I.e Please change the linen once a week on Monday. If you don't care about the when then give her the tasks that you would like done and how often. I.e. polish the silver every two weeks. You can let her do a trial run and then show her what you liked and what you would like done differently.

Establish boundaries. I know it might sound harsh, but its better not to give her leftovers, hand me downs etc. It blurs boundaries and creates gray areas. I have always given my housekeepers cash gifts for holidays and birthdays and made it seem that all small clothing was going to relatives.

Make sure that she has something to eat, Housekeepers are often shy about food, so make it clear what she can and can not eat.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 7:13 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Because “they” are all exactly the same. And also, they are your slaves so you got to “let them” or “not let them” do things.

Did I say there all the same?
Did I say there my slave?
When you pay for hired help you pay to get the job done perfectly!

Op asked for advice and this is mine. No need to act entitled!

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 7:15 am
amother wrote:
When you hire someone to do a job you expect it to be done with no mistakes. Same with cleaning help when I pay for cleaning help I expect her to wash my floor without leaving any dirt on the floor including under beds and furniture.
you can clean under beds and furniture with a mop too. I do it all the time and it's sparkling clean.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 7:17 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
you can clean under beds and furniture with a mop too. I do it all the time and it's sparkling clean.

Do you get to all the corners? I doubt that only if you bent down.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:14 am
amother wrote:
Did I say there all the same?
Did I say there my slave?
When you pay for hired help you pay to get the job done perfectly!

Op asked for advice and this is mine. No need to act entitled!

Yes you did say they are all the same. Don’t let her wash with a mop, because “they” get lazy.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:25 am
First make a list for yourself of what you want them to clean when they are there. I can only afford a few hours a week so I like to have someone clear off all the floors/surfaces/ garbages then DH and I can do the rest. I think I am unique based on certain issues that I have though (its really hard for me to bend over).

Once you have a list of priorities you can say please clean the bathrooms then when you are done I would like the next task. My rebbetzin has an actual written list in her kitchen of what needs to be done.

I found that every time I have cleaning help they ask for gloves which I was not used to having around. It makes sense. I would not want to clean a strangers toilet with out them either. So now I keep a box around.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry