Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Indian themed mishloach manos
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 6:01 pm
I dressed up as an Indian once...my Indian friend lent me her sari and showed me how to tie it. (it was her shabbos sari so very heavy!)

You could make (buy?) naan bread. Maybe curry flavoured nuts or trail mix?

Majedra is lentils and rice with fried onions. Its popular in other countries too but its also indian, I believe. It tastes good cold as well.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 6:12 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Except when WE are the ones who are offended, ala the group of Halloween trick or treaters near Lakewood who dressed up as Religious Jews, widely repeated in YWN and elsewhere as offensive.

Well I for one don't find it offensive. Maybe I'm missing something but why is dressing ethnic an offense?

watergirl

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 6:22 pm
Raisin wrote:
Maybe OP is British. But, they did give it back.

You are very right. How America-centric of me!

yksraya

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 6:34 pm
Maybe the MM holder should be themed, but the content can be, nuts, chocolates, cookies etc.

Or maybe like someone already mentioned, give tea bags, but you can buy those nice resposable tea cups and plates for under it. put the tea bag on the plate next to the tea cup, and fill the tea cup with nuts and chocolates etc, perhaps add a cookie too.

nicole81

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 6:34 pm
I don't really understand what dressing up like an Indian means. My in laws are Indian and they dress just like most non-Indian people I know. To me, it's like dressing like an American, or dressing like an Italian. India is a country, and no entire country has one particular look.

As for mishloach manot, why don't you serve a mango lassi in one of those ball jars with straws, and a takeout container of samosas or aloo bonda for a delicious snack?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 7:19 pm
Thank you everyone for your wonderful ideas. And to all those who find it offensive, I didn't mean to stir up controversy.
I don't know much about Indian food. What are samosas with tamarind chutney, aloo bonda, and mango lassi?
Also, where do I find Indian nuts and chocolates- Do I just spice regular nuts?
I'm pretty clueless...

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 7:48 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Except when WE are the ones who are offended, ala the group of Halloween trick or treaters near Lakewood who dressed up as Religious Jews, widely repeated in YWN and elsewhere as offensive.

OP,

Please stay away from Indian Reservations on Purim.

You can do a chocolate feathers and some candy corn. Esty has teepee, feather, and arrow cookie cutters. They have adorable teepee party bags.

SpottedBanana

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 7:54 pm
For the last time, OP is talking about Indians from India!!!!

/rant

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 8:01 pm
SpottedBanana wrote:
For the last time, OP is talking about Indians from India!!!!

/rant

Sorry.

There are kosher OU Indian breads you can buy in Indian stores. You can package them with a couple of dips.

There is also diary Indian packaged prepared food you can get at health stores and non-Jewish supermarkets.

tobee

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 8:02 pm
Indians r not necessarily religious so I don't think it's the same as dressing up in Lakewood as orthodox jewish ppl in full garb with definite anti-semitic tones, look at the picture again and you'll see what I mean.and I have no issue if someone dresses up as say an Israeli soldier as long as u don't mock my Homeland in the process which definitely was done in the picture I saw that circled on WhatsApp.Op, I'm sorry I don't know much abt Indian culture but good luck.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 8:18 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
Well I for one don't find it offensive. Maybe I'm missing something but why is dressing ethnic an offense?

I didn’t find it offensive either. The part that probably was offensive was the wagon filled with a bunch of babies because that was mocking Jews. If they just dressed up as chassidim without the mocking aspect I would think it’s really cute.

So, dressing up like an Indian, not offensive.

Dressing up like an Indian with a sign that says “ I don’t wear deodorant.” Yes offensive.

Sign =wagon full of babies

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 9:39 pm
Indian lentil soup in pretty glass jars along with naan bread (Indian flat bread).

Or do the mango lassi spiced yogurt smoothies nicole81 mentioned and figure out what would pair well with that.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 10:43 pm
DrMom wrote:
For snacks, you could make burfee (kind of like fudge, but nut-based). I think it's delicious.

Do you have any simple, dairy free recipe for this? -Food allergies...

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 10:52 pm
Some Indian food in glass jar sounds nice
lassi is a good idea except that it needs to be made fresh...
indian bread with some condiment along with it might work. I just have to see what I'll have time/ability to make, what ingredients ill be able to get...
I was sort of hoping not to have to actually make everything, but it seems like ill just have to make the time.
I appreciate y'all who took the time to give me ideas. If anyone has super-simple recipes for any of these things, I'd really appreciate it.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 11:28 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I didn’t find it offensive either. The part that probably was offensive was the wagon filled with a bunch of babies because that was mocking Jews. If they just dressed up as chassidim without the mocking aspect I would think it’s really cute.

So, dressing up like an Indian, not offensive.

Dressing up like an Indian with a sign that says “ I don’t wear deodorant.” Yes offensive.

Sign =wagon full of babies

I didn't see it so I cant really say but that's a good distinction. If it's making fun then it's offensive if it's just dressing in a traditional style it's not.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 12:32 am
You can make soup and naan now and freeze.

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Jan 19 2018, 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total

DrMom

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 1:09 am
amother wrote:
Do you have any simple, dairy free recipe for this? -Food allergies...

You can google recipes, but burfee tends to be dairy, as it is based on condensed milk, milk, or milk powder. I don't think it would taste very good when based on some parve substitute.

If you must go dairy-free, I guess you could stick with savory treats: samosas, daal (Indian lentil soup). I like the chai tea idea. Simple, already packaged.

Judy

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 1:15 am
We did that theme one year. I used מהודו עד כוש to tie it into the Megillah
Hodu is the Hebrew name for India and it also means turkey so I put in those mini wild turkey liquors. For kush I did a brownie bar and I put in a mango - I googled what foods are popular there and mango came up. Wrapped it in colorful orange basket or wrapping ...I might even have a short poem if you want pm me.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 7:59 am
pesek zman wrote:
It's really not politically correct to dress up as another ethnicity. Whether Native American or Indian (as in from India) neither are really 'done'

It's all over. Be it Purim, or Carnival.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 10:08 am
amother wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do for mm? My kids will be dressed up as Indians. I am looking to do something that doesn't involve too much work, yet is inexpensive.
TIA!

I did research on the diets of the tribes native to our area and I gave salads incorporating those foods.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics