Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Naming the same name after two people

amother

Post Sat, Oct 27 2007, 7:13 pm
My DH and I both have relatives with the same name who need to be named after. Is it possible to give one name with both in mind, or to give the original yiddish name to one and a Lashon Hakodesh translation as another name?

What do people do?

bashinda

Post Sat, Oct 27 2007, 8:13 pm
Why not? I have a son who has two names and one of the names is for two people. Both DH and I have zeides with the same name. Ask your Rav if you're really concerned but I don't see the problem.

amother

Post Sat, Oct 27 2007, 8:28 pm
It's totaly up to you. Diff pple feel differently. If anything ask your families.

gryp

Post Sat, Oct 27 2007, 9:08 pm
I don't see a problem at all. I'm named for both my father's grandmother and my mother's great-grandmother, although more for my father's grandmother because it was more recent. It's one name though.
My sister's named for my father's other grandmother, but my parents didn't like that name much so added to it the Hebrew name, and that's what she goes by.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Oct 27 2007, 9:26 pm
I have heard that if you're name for 2 ppl, you should go by bothnames.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Oct 27 2007, 9:34 pm
some say it creates a new name and isn't naming after anyone.

For us it's totally fine. I'm named after my grandmother and great grand aunt (same name). My dd is named after 3 relatives (3 names). Among the new babies in my community, most are named after 2 to 5 (!) people. I think it's because we have lower birth rates today, and also because of the Holocaust there are many people to name for, and few descendants to do the job .

greenfire

Post Sat, Oct 27 2007, 10:16 pm
of course - why not ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names